Protein Bar, a Chicago-Based Fast-Casual Chain Serving (Theoretically) Healthy Food

In the Healthy Dining topic, khoww mentions Protein Bar:

....To the point of this post, I'm trying to come up with a list of places with healthy options (either the focus of the restaurant or an individual dish) for all occasions. To get started, here are some of the occasions that come to mind and potential options (though I'm not endorsing these, nor have I even been to many of them):

*Quick/On the way home, could be either pick up or delivery - Whole Foods prepared foods, Protein Bar, etc

Has anyone been to Protein Bar? How's the food?

I saw that there's a Protein Bar coming to Ballston (on Glebe Road near Wilson) so I'm curious about it. One's open in Penn Quarter. Another is coming to 19th & K.

It's from Chicago, and according to their website, they have high protein healthy food and drinks. Protein Bar's website is www.theproteinbar.com

The first I'd really heard of Protein Bar was on the City Eats blog. Nevin Martell wrote a series of articles describing his "Protein Bar Challenge" in which he decided to eat at Protein Bar for a month. He also exercised and lost 12 pounds by the end of the month. His final article (with links to his prior articles) is here: http://blog.cityeats...nds-in-a-month/

I really like it. I've grabbed lunch at the Penn Quarter location a few times now. The portions are a bit smaller than your other burrito/bowl places (Chipotle, Merzi, etc.), but I can't remember prices to judge the value.

I've enjoyed the quinoa/spinach/pesto/chicken combination they have in burrito and bowl form. The spinach isn't cooked, which makes the bowl a little difficult to eat (but I understand cooking spinach causes it to lose some nutritional value). I actually really like the quinoa; I prefer it over white rice you get at their competitors and it doesn't feel like you're eating "health" food.

Avoid the brownie deserts. The cappucino brownie I had sounded good but was dry and average tasting, plus it cost almost $4 [for a brownie!]. The deserts did appear to be packed with protein if you're looking for that, not sure how they accomplish the feat.

Don't be fooled in to thinking this is low carb or particularly healthy - take a gander at the nutrition. Their "Bar-rito's" for example. High sodium (all over 1000 mg), high fat and what I consider really high carb counts. Most are ranging around 70 grams. I find it kind of surprising for a place that calls itself a "protein" bar. "Bowl" carbs and fats are more reasonable, but the sodium content is still waaay too high, all again over 1000 mg.

And this for a portion that is smaller than other burrito/bowl places. Just because the serving is smaller, doesn't make it healthy. Their tag line under their logo on the website says "delicious high protein food + drink." And under "about us"

Our mission is simple: provide active, on-the-go people with healthy, flavorful choices while having a positive impact on everyone we meet and in everything we do.

Me thinks there is a disconnect somewhere...

I went to the 19th and K location today for lunch (I think that they opened in the last week or so). The space is big, it looks nice inside, lots of seating outside. I went early (11:15 AM) and they are training staff, so there were about 7 employees for every customer. The menu is large and they have plenty of chips, bars, desserts, drinks to choose from.

I ordered the chicken chili quinoa bowl. It tasted good. I think that I did a bad job ordering though. The chicken chili quinoa bowl, if I remember correctly, is $7.19. The chicken chili, if I remember correctly, is $5.99. I am pretty sure that they serve both of these in the same sized bowl (16 oz.). So, I essentially paid them $1.20 more for them to take out some chili and replace it with quinoa!? I may be wrong on the prices, but I am almost positive that is the case.

Either way, I liked the food. I will go back again to try some other things on the menu, they have lots to choose from.

• Like 1

They noticeably raised their prices a little while back to the point where I couldn't justify spending (for example) $9 on some spinach leaves, egg whites, crappy grated cheddar, onions, and Cholula (which I see is now absent from their menu entirely at the Farragut Square location nearest my office) for breakfast.  Maybe they had to raise their prices because they weren't getting enough customers, or maybe they weren't getting enough customers because they raised their prices; in any event, it's sort of a sad commentary on DC rental prices and their impact on dining when even the bland, overpriced chains in supposedly high-traffic areas can't stay open.

We still have (literally) a dozen Au Bon Pains and probably half a dozen Prets within easy walking distance of my office, though!  So, y'know.  Bleah.