Chinese New Year Celebration at Peter Chang China Cafe

KoolPaw

The Chinese New Year 4711 (Year of the Snake) begins on Sunday February 10. Is anyone interested in celebrating the New Year at Peter Chang's in Richmond? I am willing to arrange a special feast. I have no idea now of the cost, but it will surely be more than a "$20 Tuesday" with a preset price and list of dishes.

If so, please indicate your preferences for :

Saturday, Feb 9 afternoon

Saturday, Feb 9 evening

Sunday, Feb 10 afternoon

Sunday, Feb 10 evening

Remember, it's in Richmond, so if you are going to imbibe you will need a way to get a ride home or stay overnight.

Sheldon

I would love to go, but only if I can catch a ride there and back. I don't want to rent a zipcar for something like this.

We're likely to go and would have room to take 1 or 2 more from DC depending on when the final date/time are. We might do an out and back if afternoon or stay a night otherwise.

Since there is no apparent interest in Sunday, Feb 10, I am scratching it. From the little feedback I've gotten on this so far, it looks like late Saturday afternoon, Feb 9, will probably work best. That way, everyone will be able to get back home at a reasonable hour. Also, it will probably be easier to get good service and all the seating we want at that time.

I plan to call the restaurant today or tomorrow to set this event up, so if you are seriously interested I hope to hear from you TODAY so I have a realistic estimate of how many we will be.

I'll probably have +1. Our interest is in sampling a variety of Chang specialties and not have just 1 bite per dish. I would actually prefer to spend a bit more money. I'm okay with anywhere up to $80 pp (tax and tip included).

We'd share Eric's interest and fine with Eric's price ceiling also but guessing--obvious point--something a bit lower priced might appeal to more people.

Lordy, if that "Bamboo Fish" is the same that he served at China Gourmet, it will be worth the trip by itself. I can't believe all that food for under $25 each. Can't wait!

When I went for the soft opening, he served the Fish in Bamboo (I assume that's what you meant). It was as good as the one he served at China Boy and the Charolttesville (short-lived) venture.

When I went for the soft opening, he served the Fish in Bamboo (I assume that's what you meant). It was as good as the one he served at China Boy and the Charolttesville (short-lived) venture.

Is he no longer affiliated with Peter Chang's China Grill in Charlottesville? Obviously it still bears his name.

Yes, the event is still on.

This special menu (see above) was put together personally by Peter Chang for our DR group. It looks really interesting and almost unbelievable at this price ($30 per person including tax and tip).

I have two tables of ten reserved in my name, Sheldon Hofferman. I will have +3, so it looks like a total of 13 so far. Any others who want to go, please check in so I know what to tell the restaurant. And those who have previously checked in, please reconfirm so we have a firm number. Thanks.

Is he no longer affiliated with Peter Chang's China Grill in Charlottesville? Obviously it still bears his name.

He may still be affiliated with China Grill but as far as I know, only as a consultant. I'm not sure that he's been back there since he opened the restaurant in way west-end Richmond.

I may have missed it upthread but, if anyone's looking like I just was, the restaurant's website is here and the address is:

11424 W Broad St
Glen Allen, VA 23060

Allow 2 hours if driving. 95 South most of the way then 295 west as you approach Richmond from the north. About 8 or 9 miles to the restaurant, which is right next to I64. Directions from DC here.

As someone who hasn't been to a large number of dr events, today was a new experience in that I think I was the only one to have done two (with the possible exception of the capitol tour guide since she is also a member . Capitol Tour in the AM and made it to Richmond on time for this. If you ever do this, you may find common threads like I did. For example, we learned in the Capitol Tour that serpents are actually positive symbology (from the frescos) when not biblical. Later in Richmond, we celebrated the Year of the Snake!

koolpaw--thank you. Wonderful food totally worth the drive and great meeting everyone here as well. I'll let others comment on whichever of the approximately 16 dishes (including apps) that came at us in delightful blizzard fashion to just note two that we especially enjoyed:

- xlb! I have to say this was the best soup dumpling rendition I've had in the United States. The broth and pork filling was wonderful. I was especially looking forward to these and now eager to compare with Shanghai Taste and maybe Tai Shan once Night Owl fills us in on that. ;)

- sweet sour pork. that name doesn't do it justice. while very vaguely reminiscent of dishes of the same name from all over the country, this was crispier, more savory and way less cloyingly sweet. thanks to a Chinese speaker at our table, we learned from a waiter that this dish was Chef Chang's mother-in-law's dish and something he does every new year in her honor (in a good way :D ). When take-home containers came out at the end of the meal and we all chose 1 or 2 things to pack up, this was our choice.

Thanks again to koolpaw for organizing us and to all for making this a lot of fun! Happy Year of the Snake to all!

post-2258-0-30954200-1360463287_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thank you Koolpaw for arranging the dinner at Peter Chang's. It was a very nice introduction to his food and the community of people at the Don Rockwell forum. Both my wife and I enjoyed the late afternoon dinner and meeting everyone.

Thanks Darkstar965 for filling us in on the sweet sour pork story!

We defintely enjoyed the bamboo fish, it had the perfect blend of spices and amount of salt.

Happy New Year!

We had a wonderful time eating at Peter Chang's for Chinese New Year. 4 p.m. was a good time for the party, they were not crowded at all, and the wait staff was very attentive.

Sixteen people was a good number, we were able to put two big tables together and everybody could sit together.

The food was, of course, spectacular. My favorites were the shrimp, the fish balls, and the fish in bamboo basket.

Kudos to koolpaw for excellent organization and a good time.

I talked about the dinner last week with someone I know who lives in Richmond, who told me that Peter Chang is opening up another restaurant in downtown Richmond. It's going in to a site that already had a Chinese restaurant, which means it won't take long to open once he gets the permits, as the kitchen won't have to be rebuilt for the gas lines, hoods, etc. My thought after visiting the restaurant in Short Pump is that surely they are adding a spot, rather than moving, as the existing restaurant had lines out the door when we left.

I also want to echo everyone's thanks to koolpaw for coordinating this event. We had a wonderful time meeting everyone and enjoyed all of the dishes. Our particular favorites were the pork belly, soup dumplings, dry fried eggplant, pea shoots and the shrimp.

Was that Chairman Mao's Favorite Braised Pork with Bok Choy? So good!

(And excellent choice for being in Eric Cantor's congressional district).

I do not think the pork belly was Chairman Mao/Hunan style. That is soft, unctuous, melting, not crispy.

Peter Chang does a braised pork belly that is soft, but I do not believe that is Chairman Mao style, either.

The only place I have ever had Chairman Mao style pork belly is at home, using Fuchsia Dunlop's recipe.

I talked about the dinner last week with someone I know who lives in Richmond, who told me that Peter Chang is opening up another restaurant in downtown Richmond. It's going in to a site that already had a Chinese restaurant, which means it won't take long to open once he gets the permits, as the kitchen won't have to be rebuilt for the gas lines, hoods, etc. My thought after visiting the restaurant in Short Pump is that surely they are adding a spot, rather than moving, as the existing restaurant had lines out the door when we left.

That reminds me that I saw this Washington Post article by Tim Carman about Peter Chang opening a new Downtown location as well as a new Williamsburg, VA location which opened last fall. The article says he still operates the Charlottesville location. His website also lists the Charlottesville location.

(I'll cross post this to the Richmond and Williamsburg threads.)

The article says that the new downtown restaurant will be in the Hilton Garden Inn, which is right in the middle of downtown Richmond, just a block or two from the Federal Courthouse on Broad Street, and a block or two from the Convention Center. Should do well.

---

Edit: apparently the WashPost got the story wrong, but I can't find where it's going to be.

My source, a Richmond lawyer, said his wife is Chinese and her parents have a restaurant so she knows about Chinese restaurants and was explaining why going into a kitchen already set up for a Chinese restaurant is helpful.

So, that's all I know. I will keep looking, as I go to Richmond on business every month.