Southern Kitchen, New Market, VA - Old-Fashioned Diner Three Minutes Off Of I-81

The Southern Kitchen in New Market is a trip back in time with one of the best old-fashioned neon signs you'll see in these parts. Peanut soup and country ham in a diner with blue upholstery and formica counters. Probably more for the unique experience than for the actual food but worth some photos.

I was at the Southern Kitchen Sunday afternoon. Good fried chicken, excellent slaw, enjoyable peanut soup, tuna salad sandwich was describe as "everything one would want from diner tuna salad" good blackberry cobbler. Tip: the meringie pies are made Saturday morning, usually sold out by Sunday lunch. Open daily from 7am-9pm, so worth a stop in. Also easy on/off from the I-81...all of a 3 minute drive through New Market.

While researching Southern Kitchen for the Dining Guide [should this be in Italic, guys? I think maybe so], I came across one of the best names for a website I've seen lately.

How can you not love a website, dedicated to cruising around America's back roads, trying to find the best slice of pie, that's called AmericanPieways.com? Oh, this is just perfect.