Nora Taste of Lebanon, Gainesville Square Shopping Center on Lee Highway in Gainesville

I will not rest until I find the best kibbee nayee in the DC area, or my name is not Kibbee Nayee!

I had a really flavorful version at Nora in Gainesville a week or so ago. It had a little raw onion and picked turnip with it, but alone, it was very good. Not bland at all due to a healthy addition of what my mom always referred to as "Syrian allspices" which are not the same as the allspice berry. I think the "allspices" are also referred to as "7 spices" but I have no idea what's in them.

Nora is now on my list....thanks for the field report.

That spice blend varies from cook to cook. It variously has salt, pepper, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, sumac, thyme, and a few others, but one of the better ones I tried was "Kibby Spice" in a jar at Mediterranean Bakery in Alexandria. But the blend varies as much as curry, or chili. Your mother's version will always be the best you ever tasted.

Are you one of my peeps? I need to gather us all up and have a feast at one of the local places sometime soon. Hey Bart, are you in? Anyone else out there?

Nora is now on my list....thanks for the field report.

Are you one of my peeps? I need to gather us all up and have a feast at one of the local places sometime soon. Hey Bart, are you in? Anyone else out there?

Nora has been consistently good for the burbs - and especially that far out. There are a few duds on the menu, like any restaurant, but in general, it's a good meal at a reasonable price. Staff are pretty friendly, it gets busy on the weekends with the Lebanese crowd, is family friendly, and has some decent specials from time to time.

I'm Lebanese by way of my mother's side of the family. Dad's side is Polish. Makes for an interesting mix of food.