Virginia Red Wine: 2010 Takes it on the National Stage

Joe H

a red wine in Virginia.

For 2010 it may be the adjective most associated with the best red wines that the state has yet produced. In fact it is no longer a matter that it is a good "Virginia wine." It is a matter that it is a good wine. By anyone's standards.

I am sipping on a glass of 2010 Glen Manor Hodder Hill. Several nights ago I opened a bottle of Delaplane Cellars Left Bank Reserve (2010) alongside of a bottle of RDV Lost Mountain. A few days before this we tried 2007 Linden Hardscrabble side by side with 2009 Keswick Reserve and 2008 Hillsborough Onyx. All three of these last have had a better vintage with the 2010's. Yet they drank extremely well. All of the wines mentioned are mouth coating, jammy and silky smooth.

I can't help but passioantely believe that we've turned a corner: 2010 may be the vintage of our lifetime in Virginia. There are some great wines at several wineries within an hour's drive of the Beltway. Not Napa, not Walla Walla but perhaps Front Royal, Delaplane or Paris...Virginia.

And I haven't even mentioned nor tasted the 2010 Barboursville Octagon which just won the Governor's Cup as Virginia's best red of the year.

For anyone reading this: if you go to a Virginia winery within the next several months, please, consider one of the ones that I have mentioned above. And, if you go, please consider buying a bottle of their best wine. I believe you will find that not only will you be sitting in a winery in one of the most beautiful places on earth but now, with the 2010 vintage being released, you will have a wine to match. I am sorry but I am not a fan of Barrel Oak or Sunset Hills or similar 500+ instantaneous capacity county fair like efforts. I am more a fan of those that have signs restricting visits to six or less, no vans, no busses. Not a county fair but rather a serious effort for one's glass. I would also suggest going on a weekday in the afternoon when you may be able to talk to who made the wine or, at least, who genuinely cares what you think of it.

For me, the wines: Glen Manor Hodder Hill, Delaplane Cellars Left Bank Reserve, RDV Lost Mountain, Linden Hardscrabble (all have at least a distant connection to Linden's Jim Law) along with Barboursville Octagon and Keswick Reserve both in the Charlottesville area. Where I use to buy an occasional bottle I am now buying a case of each. 2010 is the coming of age for serious Virginia red.

Walla Walla was never this beautiful.

Red wines like that are usually released in the fall.

ETA: Are you going to RDV for the salon tasting? I'm headed out for that at the end of March and am going to head to Delaplane afterward at Joe H's suggestion since it's right up the road.

I always recommend people visit Linden, Glen Manor, and Chester Gap together since they're all within reasonable driving distance of each other.

2010 Glen Manor Hodder Hill is available RIGHT NOW. I actually bought a case over the phone and pick it up next week. At Delaplane please give serious consideration to a bottle of his Left Bank Reserve, perhaps opening it there, corking it and finishing it the next day. It is a wine that drinks even better after 24 hours.

Hillsborough is also a particularly beautiful winery but for view it would be a tossup between Bluemont and Delaplane.

Thanks Joe, they had mentioned they would be releasing it in the spring sometime, so I'm glad to hear they stayed on schedule. I may have to order a case myself and pick it up when we head out there next Month.

In terms of the salon tasting, I'm scheduling a visit for mid-April I believe....I'll also check out Delaplane and some of the others out there.

2010 Glen Manor Hodder Hill is available RIGHT NOW. I actually bought a case over the phone and pick it up next week. At Delaplane please give serious consideration to a bottle of his Left Bank Reserve, perhaps opening it there, corking it and finishing it the next day. It is a wine that drinks even better after 24 hours.

Hillsborough is also a particularly beautiful winery but for view it would be a tossup between Bluemont and Delaplane.

Huh, they must not have gotten around to updating their website yet, unless they've only released it to case club members? The website lists it as unavailable.

We go to RDV on Saturday, May 11th. Also, Delaplane's Left Bank Reserve grapes are grown in front of the winery. The winery is ON Lost Mountain. I believe these are the only other grapes besides RDV's that are grown on Lost Mountain.

Jeff told me that he likes his '10 Hodder Hill more than the '09 which won last year's Governor's Cup. I don't think there's going to be a lot of this to go around.

Huh, they must not have gotten around to updating their website yet, unless they've only released it to case club members? The website lists it as unavailable.

The '10 Hodder Hill was available to the general public in a limited release starting around the end of February. The email sent to club members did not specify how long the wine would be publically available. I would definitely call the winery to doublecheck.

http://www.barboursvillewine.net/winery/ is the website for Barboursville. I have not tasted their '09 Octagon but it won the 2013 Virginia Governor's Cup as best red wine in VA. Their website notes that it will be available for sale to the general public in August.

On Saturday, April 6th (not August but April) Barboursville is hosting a barrel tasting for $30 (no reservation-just show up) which will also feature buying futures of the 2009 Octagon for $49.95 with half case and case discounts off of this.

Having tasted half of the wines the '09 Octagon was judged against I cannot wait to taste it. We will be there. I might have a bottle of '10 Hodder Hill and '09 RDV Lost Mountain out in my car to sneak out and compare it to-but we will be there. And buy what they will let me. I'll also try to talk them into letting me take some home. April 6th.

I should also mention again that three weeks later Linden releases it's '10 Hardscrabble Red. Four nights ago a mature Linden Hardscrabble Red drank really well.

In a couple of months I am going to sit somewhere with a few friends and share the above bottles. Even throw in a bottle of Delaplane's '10 Left Bank Reserve.

It will be a helluva tasting.

You should consider inviting a girl who could bring a MD contender with her to that tasting. ;)

ETA: Our salon tasting at RDV is this Saturday. Getting very excited for it. And still planning to swing by Delaplane afterward.

We were at Black Ankle on a Friday, around 4:30 or so, about two months ago. Loved your winery!! Great deal of character, warm-even romantic in a wonderful picturesque setting. And personal. We bought a bottle of the Leaf Stone syrah, drinking half there and the rest when we returned home to Reston. Excellent. Actually, I think I bought three bottles and also a section of wine barrel that has six or seven candle holders on it.

We were at Boordy Vineyards two weeks ago. I preferred the Leaf Stone over their Reserve Cab. Also much preferred Black Ankle the winery and tasting room.

When you go to RDV please make sure you try their '09 Lost Mountain. I don't think Rutger pours it often preferring the Rondezvous but, for me, it is a better wine.

Delaplane Cellars' tasting room is incredible. You'll understand exactly what I mean when you look outside the floor to ceiling window at the valley unfolding below you. They have a really good syrah, too which you may want to consider. I think their Left Bank is better but the syrah is one of Virginia's best. Even if you only stop in for ten minutes to see it, please go. I should also note that Jim Dolphin, the owner of Delaplane, lived in Howard County and had an office in Baltimore.

Both Delaplane and RDV are special places.

In past years I've bought a lot of Washington state and Spanish wine. This year almost everything I'm buying seems to be from VA. We need to return to Black Ankle. I'd also be happy to bring a few bottles...

You should consider inviting a girl who could bring a MD contender with her to that tasting. ;)

ETA: Our salon tasting at RDV is this Saturday. Getting very excited for it. And still planning to swing by Delaplane afterward.

So you are the reason we couldn't get in there tomorrow... :) Enjoy!

Joe H - We are going to Linden and Delaplane. Anywhere else recommended in that general vicinity since Choirgirl boxed us out of RDV or is that about it for that corridor?

Joe H - We are going to Linden and Delaplane. Anywhere else recommended in that general vicinity since Choirgirl boxed us out of RDV or is that about it for that corridor?

Me, or 18 other people I've never met in my life. :P

And though you didn't ask me, Glen Manor! Or if you don't want to go quite that far, Chester Gap is quite close to Linden. If you go to Linden, make sure you do the reserve tasting if at all possible. Too bad you weren't able to get into the salon tasting tomorrow - would have been cool to meet some DR folks there.

Glen Manor if you haven't been. The '10 Hodder Hill is an outstanding red. In league with RDV Lost mountain which I look forward to tasting side by side. Alternatively, Hillsborough which will feel like you are in Tuscany. Their '10 Onyx Tannat is excellent.

And though you didn't ask me, Glen Manor! Or if you don't want to go quite that far, Chester Gap is quite close to Linden. If you go to Linden, make sure you do the reserve tasting if at all possible. Too bad you weren't able to get into the salon tasting tomorrow - would have been cool to meet some DR folks there.

Choirgirl21, have you been to the Ashby Inn or the Blackthorne Inn on route 50 a couple of miles away? The Ashby Inn is one of the best restaurants in America. Serious. The Blackthorne Inn has an incredible 250 year old bar and lounge, Wolfe Tone's Pub (once owned by George Washington) well worth stopping at even if only to walk in the door and see it. Perhaps as atmospheric of a place that you can find in the greater Baltimore-Washington area. I am not a fan of their food-but I am a huge fan of the building and its ambience. Fantastic "character."

It will feel like GW still owns it .http://www.blackthorne-inn.com/ From their website:

"Wolfe Tone's Pub offers a variety of light pub fare, libations, and live musical

entertainment on Friday and Sunday evenings."

Anywhere else recommended in that general vicinity

Definitely Glen Manor and Chester Gap as stated above. I also think Hume Vineyards and Chateau O'Brian are worth a visit. Both are quite different as CO'B takes themselves a little too seriously and Hume is up & coming, warm and welcoming. Both have unique spaces and good wine.

If there is enough interest, perhaps a DR VA/MD wine tasting could occur at the Spring Picnic or elsewhere. I'd have some VA wine to contribute...though I can't remember when the picnic is or if I can attend. I'm on my phone and don't feel like checking....

Choirgirl21, how was it?

Choirgirl21, how was it?

It was a great event. I plan to post a review when I get a chance, but the summary is great wine, an informative tour and tasting, and very down to earth, unpretentious folks. It exceeded my expectations.

And Delaplane was great, thank you so much for recommending them. I actually joined their wine club, seemed like a no brainer since I wanted to buy wine anyway. Neither the left bank nor the syrah was able to be opened for tasting, but I did get to try the Williams Gap, which is another reserve in that price point (very good, but a little too new world for my tastes) and I got to bring a bottle of syrah home with me as part of my first wine club "shipment", which would have otherwise been unavailable to me.

Crappy cell phone pic, but the tasting room is truly gorgeous:

IMAG2523.jpg

Throughout the tasting I kept questioning how I had never been there or heard of them before, definitely will be added to my list of must visits when I make recommendations.

Jen, thanks for trying Delaplane Cellars. It is a special place. The syrah that you took home is a "two day" wine. I actually believe it improves if you open it, pour some, and then immediately cork what is left for the next day. It smooths out and acquires "silkiness" with this. I am not as big of a fan of their Williams Gap as I am of their Left Bank Reserve whose grapes are grown right outside the window you took the picture of. It, too, improves with the second day.

I believe that Delaplane and Bluemont have the best views of any winery in VA; I prefer Delaplane because I think their wine is better.

I'll open a bottle of their syrah tonight!

Wish I had another bottle of your Leaf Stone. Black Ankle was special, too.

Zora, the '09 Hodder Hill won the Governor's Cup in 2012-I had a half bottle of it at the Ashby Inn and tried to buy more at Glen Manor but they were sold out. I bought a case of the '07 and drank my last bottle a couple of weeks ago. With age it had evolved into a wonderful wine. I say all this because Jeff White said that he thought his '10 was his best yet.

Downey Selections is their distributor: http://www.downeyselections.com/Downey_Selections/Cheers.html. You may want to give them a call and ask who may have it. It's possible however that the 2010 is only available at the winery. There may not be a lot of it that will end up on a shelf. Arrowine would be a long shot but I'll bet the '10 is not there yet.

Suggestion: I would call Glen Manor and buy several bottles over the phone (I actually did this). They'll hold it for you and if it takes you a week or several months to go it will be there waiting for you. I know they don't have a lot of the '10 Hodder Hill. This is a wine that really may take them on the national stage.

Carol and I go on the 15th to pick up the wine I bought (a month ago on the phone). I'm tempted to ask Jeff for more but I have a feeling that this is going to be an allocated wine and I may not be able to buy more.

Perhaps this will give you an excuse for a trip to Front Royal and Paris...Virginia.

Sometime I am going to start a new thread on Virginia Petit Verdot which I have tasted several remarkable bottles of this week. For anyone reading this who may have a visit to Linden or Glen Manor in their future you may want to add this to your tasting of Hardscrabble and Hodder Hill respectively. Linden has a red called Avenius which is 74% petit verdot and 26% cabernet that is lucious, deep and mouth coating. It's also 15% alcohol. They've also recently released their 2010 petit verdot which clocks in at 15.1%. Glen Manor is sold out of their 2009 petit verdot but their 2010 will be released in the Fall. We tasted their 2009 this week and it was a stunning wine. The Avenius and the Glen Manor Petit Verdot taste nothing at all like any other Virginia wine I have ever had. I'd actually put them in the league of some amarone. Petit Verdot does VERY well in VA. On it's own and not as something to merely add color or blend.

Yep, petit verdot is definitely "up and coming" in VA. Barren Ridge was making a very nice one quite a few years ago before most other wineries, but I haven't been in a few years so I don't know how their wines are in recent vintages. I was also a fan of their viognier and their meritage incidentally. Back when I first visited (when they were relatively new), Michael Shapps was consulting with them, not sure if he is anymore.

Sometime I am going to start a new thread on Virginia Petit Verdot which I have tasted several remarkable bottles of this week. .

I have a Linden Petit Verdot from 2006 that I've been saving. Would you recommend the uncork > recork > wait 24 hours > drink regime for that one too?

"06 I would uncork, decant (there was some sediment in the '08 Avenius) and drink now in a big glass. If you really like it consider a trip to Linden and buying a few bottles of Avenius ('08 drinks well right now) or the '10 Petit Verdot to put away-exactly as you did with the '06.

Enjoy! I think you are going to be surprised when you taste it.

Thanks!

Coincidentally, my wife and I are doing one of their cellar tastings this weekend. I'm sure bottles will be purchased, in fact, it's almost time for us to re-up on our Case Club memebrship, so, many bottles may be purchased!

Found the '10 Hodder Hill at Chain Bridge Cellars (http://www.chainbridgecellars.com/site/search.cfm) in McLean. They also have the '11 Vin Rouge. The '11 Cab Franc can be found at the Whole Foods in Fair Lakes.

Yesterday, serendipitously found the '09 Lost Mountain at the Red Fox Inn (Middleburg). They had an extensive list of Va wines, and allowed me to take a bottle home at 25% off their menu price, which is listed at $115.

Looking forward to trying both. I've had the '09 Hodder Hill, and it sounds as if the '10 might exceed the quality of the previous year.

Yesterday through an excellent lunch (I'll be writing it up shortly) at the Ashby Inn along with visits to RdV and Linden Vineyards I tasted some truly excellent wines - not just excellent VA wines but wines that would stand up against others from around the world (in my opinion).

I had:

'09 Glen Manor - Hodder Hill

'10 Glen Manor - Hodder Hill

'08 Linden - Hardscrabble

'09 RdV - Lost Mountain

'09 RdV - Rendevous

'06 Linden - Hardscrabble

'09 Linden - Hardscrabble

First, it was awesome the the Ashby Inn had so many VA half bottles which made it possible to work through so many during a truly great meal - although I believe we grabbed their last half bottles of the '09 Hodder Hill and '08 Hardscrabble.

Second, I have to say - if you can do it, go visit RdV. I thought the salon tasting was really cool and the facility itself was unreal. One of my companions mentioned he felt like he was in Napa back in the 90's - having no basis to relate to that comment, I will simply say that it really is a beautiful facility and I could have spent more time just wandering around their cellar. Additionally, it is very interesting hearing the folks at RdV and Glen Manor (when I had been a few weeks back) talk about the influence of Jim Law - that discussion prompted the impromptu trip to visit Linden vineyards after what was a pretty full day. It was a worthwhile addition to the day.

One thing that stood out for me was how different the wines are. My favorites of the day were probably Glen Manor followed very closely by RdV. The '09 was delicious but while Neil at Ashby told us we were committing "infanticide" by drinking the '10, it was clear this is a wine that not only is good already but has tremendous potential. I am very happy I was able to purchase a case (thanks to Joe H for the heads up on its release) from Jeff and will have a tough time exercising the patience to let this fully mature.

The RdV tasting pitted their wines against a Caymus Reserve Cab and a young Bordeaux. I thought both wines stood up favorably to the two and look forward to trying their '10's when they are released later this year.

In terms of Linden, while I enjoyed the wines, I felt that there was a ton of green pepper in their wines (the '08 had a higher proportion of cab franc) which just isn't to my taste in the same vein as some of the other wines. That said, I still have a bottle of '09 which I thought was the best Hardscrabble that I look forward to sitting on for a bit.

We did not squeeze in Delaplane Cellars in, but intend to go check that out the next trip we make out to RdV.

Wow! We were at RDV for their 2:00 tasting yesterday! Then spent two and a half hours at Delaplane drinking everything in sight with friends and Jim Dolphin "guiding us."

Immodestly, I correctly guessed all four wines preferring the '09 Caymus Special Selec, then the '09 RDV Lost Mountain. I prefer that fruit forward mouth coating kind of New World style. I much preferred the Lost Mountain over the Roundezvous.

Upthread Choirgirl21 said she preferred Delaplane's Williams Gap which I last had in, perhaps, January.

Well, in the intervening four months it has improved in the bottle. It's now perhaps my favorite with their '10 Springlot Reserve also excellent. The Left Bank has opened up much more nicely also. In fact Jim Dolphin is doing three really nice reds which speak well for VA. When you visit Delaplane please try one or several of them. Jim also worked a crush at Linden by the way.

Jim Law really is a Godfather of VA wine.

We also love Glen Manor preferring his Hodder Hill and Petit Verdot along with a remarkably good petit manseng (yes, I did say a white!). At Linden I may prefer his current '08 Avenius over his '09 Hardscrabble but while they are entirely different wines this may have as much to say about bottle age.

Both Delaplane and Glen Manor have incredible views, among the most beautiful in VA. RDV and LInden aren't too shabby either. As far as the actual physical facility RDV is the benchmark. I only wish there was an outdoor deck or patio that allowed the same kind of extended visit that the others do.

I continue to be a huge fan of these four wineries which are allowing Virginia to take huge steps on the national stage. Where I use to buy an occasional bottle of VA wine I now have cases of several wines each from Delaplane, Glen Manor and Linden and a mixed case from RDV including '08 and '09 Lost Mountain.

The first three are a very different experience from the more "structured" appointment necessary visit to RDV (which is truly unique). To be honest, yesterday the highlight was probably the several hours we spent at Delaplane with an entirely different kind of "sampling." Certainly our research there was much more hands on and detailed... I was able to refine and confirm my opinions...several times.

Wow! We were at RDV for their 2:00 tasting yesterday! Then spent two and a half hours at Delaplane drinking everything in sight with friends and Jim Dolphin "guiding us."

Immodestly, I correctly guessed all four wines preferring the '09 Caymus Special Selec, then the '09 RDV Lost Mountain. I prefer that fruit forward mouth coating kind of New World style. I much preferred the Lost Mountain over the Roundezvous.

Upthread Choirgirl21 said she preferred Delaplane's Williams Gap which I last had in, perhaps, January.

I actually said I didn't prefer it. ;) My comment was that it was a bit too new world in style for me, which is not my cup of tea these days (the Caymus was by far my least favorite of the 4 wines in the RDV salon tasting, all of which I felt were easily distinguishable because they were so typical of their respective regions).

By the way, I found both of the RDV wines at the Vino Volo in Dulles airport of all places. Their markups were quite small.

I enjoyed the RdV wines, but do have to give them credit for the branding exercise as well as the incredible capital raising job they apparently did in the construction of the place. Literally my first thought upon walking through the facility was "Ruud clearly has a knack for lining up investors or is independantly wealthy". Please don't construe that as a knock - it should be viewed as the opposite as I'm extremely impressed with his business saavy / taste in design.

In terms of cost for me the best bang for the buck (by FAR) is the Hodder Hill from Glen Manor. It is priced lower than the high end wines at Linden and the other notable VA vineyards and in my opinion (based on my tasting above) stands a cut above the others in terms of its taste (admittedly, that may be simply my preference). That said, I did purchase a few bottles of the RdV b/c I enjoyed my visit and like supporting VA wineries that are striving to (and succeeding in) producing high quality wines. If I paid a tariff to do that, so be it.

**as a note, there are cards that come with the wines that recommend aging both Lost Mountain and Rendevous for a few years.

Unless there's an extended power loss during hot summer weather...

Which is what the whole-house generator (and insurance) is for...

To the specific point of RdV wines not being value wines, I guess that depends on perspective. From an absolute perspective, I would say that no wines being produced in VA are "value wines", in that one can usually find at least a rough equivalent at similar levels and lower prices from many regions in the US and abroad.

However, from my perspective, there is value in being able to support a local industry, and value in knowing the folks who make wine just a few miles from our home. Fact is, its all to easy to spend <$100 on a bordeaux blend nowadays, and rather than buy from California to support my occasional new world fix, it's great to drive the ten minutes to RdV or Delaplane. Not to mention, I like the wines (particularly at RdV), and do believe that they will benefit from some age.

I am in the process of putting together a half case of wine for my dad for his birthday (July 4th). I already have the five wines listed below in the case.

Glen Manor 2010 Hodder Hill

Barboursville 2008 Octagon

RDV 2009 Lost Mountain or RDV 2009 Rendevous (I think I am only putting one of these in the case)

Delaplane Cellars 2010 Left Bank Reserve

Linden 2010 Hardscrabble Red

I was planning on adding the Keswick 2010 Cabernet Reserve, but I haven't had any luck finding it in the area (not really keen on paying for the shipping).

With that being said, does anyone have a sixth, and final, Virginia red wine that I can add to the case that compares to these others and can be find somewhat easily in the area?

I am in the process of putting together a half case of wine for my dad for his birthday (July 4th). I already have the five wines listed below in the case.

RDV 2009 Lost Mountain or RDV 2009 Rendevous (I think I am only putting one of these in the case)

I was planning on adding the Keswick 2010 Cabernet Reserve, but I haven't had any luck finding it in the area (not really keen on paying for the shipping).

With that being said, does anyone have a sixth, and final, Virginia red wine that I can add to the case that compares to these others and can be find somewhat easily in the area?

I think you've covered the heavy hitters there, very nice gift. :)

As to your question, I like the meritages from both King Family and Barren Ridge, probably in that order although with the caveat that I haven't had either recently. I wouldn't put either quite up with the others on your list, but nor would I put the Keswick there as well so take that for what it's worth.

I'm not as enamored with the Hillsborough wines btw. I would say you might choose that one if your dad likes really full bodied heavier reds.

The other one I would put on your radar is the Michael Shaps meritage. It's been even longer since I've had his wines, but he consults for a lot of VA wineries and tends to produce high quality wines.

http://www.virginiawineworks.com/?page_id=6

No idea how easy it will be to find any of those, sorry.

I believe the '09 RDV Lost Mountain is a far superior wine to their Roundezvous.

Now, I am not a big fan of Breaux Vineyards. Actually, this is a huge 15,000 case winery with an outrageous wine club that I've posted about elsewhere.They may also have the smallest tasting glasses of any winery I have ever been in. And, I have been in a lot of wineries! Until Monday I am also not so sure that I ever had any Breaux wine that I liked.

Their '07 Nebbiolo (ONLY sold at their winery) is one of the best wines ever produced in the state of VA. It was not "eligible" for the Governor's Cup but it might have beaten the '09 Octagon which won. It's $58 and worth every penny.

I don't believe I am writing this but I am sincere. Breaux '07 Nebbiolo. They sell it by the glass at the winery as well as the bottle. If you ask for a taste insist/DEMAND a larger glass than what will essentially be a shot glass with a two inch stem that they'll offer as the tasting glass.

We tasted this first in the shot/tasting glass and then, after asking for something more like the size of a fishbowl, were given a standard bar glass that my nose could fit into. Wow. The Italian countryside could have been outside of the door! This was a wine to be proud of and help a winery make their name. It is really good.

And, again, only available at the winery.

The '10 Hillsborough Onyx is a level or two below all of the other wines but, for $32, the 100% tannat is a good value. Glen Manor also makes an excellent Petit Verdot (high 20's), I really like: Linden Avenius, Keswick Reserve, Veritas Petit Verdot, also Delaplane's Williams Gap, King Family (mentioned above) and a couple of Chateau O'Brien's wines are outrageously expensive (their 100% Tannat is a ridiculous $78 and their Petit Verdot is in the high 40's). But having said this, if I didn't know how much they were charging, I would have liked them. I actually bought a case of their '07 Petit Verdot a couple of years ago when it was, I think, in the high 20's and it is drinking really well right now. Unfortunately, they raised the price. A lot.

See if you can make a trip to Breaux and taste (in the largest glass you can coerce them into giving you) their Nebbiolo. It's worth it. Sunset Hills has a $35 or so Reserve that was part of the Governor's "case" and worth taking a look at, too. You'll pass by both Sunset Hills and Hillsborough on the way. FWIW, Hillsborough is one of the most beautiful wineries in VA. Well worth a stop and a glass of Onyx to help you decide.

So I went back to Delaplane today and finally ("finally", as in on my second visit :P) had the opportunity to taste the Estate Left Bank Reserve that JoeH mentioned. Here is a wine Joe and I can agree on. Excellent wine, and at the club member price I think a good value (it retails for $50, club members receive 20% off). I would have been quite happy to drink it right then, but would have loved to have a bottle decanted or even better held for another year or two. I did bring one bottle home, I don't know how long it will last in my wine fridge.

What did you end up choosing?

What did you end up choosing?

I put both the RDV Lost Mountain and Rendevous in the case (although I have not given it to him yet, his birthday is July 4th). I didn't want to have two wines from one winery, but I already have it and my search lost steam (that happens when you chase a one year old around all day long).