Honey Pig Izakaya, Korean-Owned Japanese Izakaya with Korean Dishes in Annandale - Closed

Lady KN and I were at Honey Pig Izakaya tonight -- we didn't see it specifically mentioned in the Honey Pig Multiple Locations thread, but if that's where it belongs, then please move it there...!)

We were sort of aiming for Honey Pig, but ended up at Honey Pig Izakaya instead. We're glad we did -- less boisterous, lower music, no barbecue residue all over us. Owned by the same people as Honey Pig, they gladly took our Living Social coupon.

We ordered around the menu and had way too much food, and just the right amount of beer, for what would have been $90 all in, four beers, tax and tip included.

Seafood Pancake - Not as large as the one at To Sok Jip, and a bit on the greasy side, but quite good. We had two small wedges left over at the end and I picked through one of them to find about 75% octopus (or squid), and some flecks of white fish flake and shrimp pieces. Of course, lots of scallions too, with the green parts left in long slices and the white parts in very small disks. I would order this again.

Grilled Whole Squid - A beautiful dish, about 8-9 inches long, 3 inches wide, perfectly browned and sliced in quarter-inch rings. Despite its appearance, the dish was otherwise a dud. It was quite chewy and had very little flavor. I would not order this again.

Spicy Seafood and Tofu Stir Fry - Not too spicy, so I'm assuming they dumbed it down for us meeguks (learned that from Escoffier). The tofu was quite soft, and disintegrated as we picked through the dish. It had lots of octopus, which gave it a chewy mouthfeel, and some tender mussels (not enough for Lady KN's liking), shrimp and squid. I might order this dish again, only spicier.

Sushi Special -- Deal of the night at 10 pieces of nigiri (or whatever the Korean word is) for $12.99. Eel, tuna, salmon, white fish, yellow tail, more or less. I would order this again.

We perused the izakaya menu and promised to graze it on our next visit....

Lady KN and I savaged a Groupon tonight at Honey Pig Izakaya. We were surprised to encounter some language issues, but worked our way through. We enjoyed ample quantities of Cass beer, the Sushi Special, the Spicy Stir-Fried Seafood, and the Mixed Yakitori.

The Sushi Special was a good deal at $12.99. The fish was impeccable.

The Spicy Stir-Fried Seafood with silken tofu is a really good dish. I ate the chewy stuff like baby octopus and squid, and Lady KN enjoyed the shrimp, scallops and mussels. We just prefer different mouthfeels, I suppose. I really like this dish.

Then we had the Mixed Yakitori. It was good, although some of the skewers were difficult to identify, and I wasn't about the challenge the language barrier on finding out what they were. More or less, the seafood skewers were scallops, shrimps, mussels and half a small lobster tail. The vegetable skewers were zucchini, mushrooms, asparagus, a kind of nut I can't remember, and garlic. The meat skewers included a really good pork belly wrapped around asparagus, anther skewer or two of pork belly, but the second one might have been something else, a nice skewer of chicken that dried out over time, a nice skewer of beef, and what I believe was chicken gizzard. The dipping sauces added zing, and I wish I knew what they were. But next time, we'll probably order Yakitori separately from the Yakitori menu if only to know what we're ordering.