Paisano's, Chef Peter McAndrews' and Owner Nathan Byrnes' Roast Pork Sandwiches

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

Paesano's was excellent and the neighborhood is not that bad. There are far worse places in Philly, that's for sure. :) Had the Arista (Whole roasted suckling pig, Italian long hots, broccoli rabe and sharp provolone) and the Gustaio (House-made lamb sausage, sun-dried cherry mustarda, gorgonzola spread, roasted fennel, and arugula) and both were outstanding, including the "philly-style" service. As an aside, the Italian style roast pork with rabe and provolone from DeNic's at the RTM is still a damn good sandwich.

Paesanos

This is a 2 or 3 location sandwich spot that we thought was worlds ahead of more over-hyped options like Pats, Genos, Tony Lukes. They don't do "cheese steaks" per se though the "paesano" is a beef brisket sandwich that looked amazingly delicious. I got a roasted pork special and it was outstanding. Liscio's bread (a close match for Sarcones), "long hot" peppers, generous and delicious pork, broccoli rabe. A truly great sandwich. We went to the location on Girard Avenue. Not so great neighborhood but everything a Philly sandwich shop should be with just 6 or so stools at a counter in a shoebox of a space and cases of local sodas for the dorm-sized fridge being passed up to the cook through street-sized windows as I left. This is the kind of place I imagine the local Taylor guys had in mind when they marketed themselves as recreating what they loved from home but never came close to actually doing.