Vino Volo Wine Bar & Café, Dulles Airport and Bethesda Row - Tysons Galleria Location Closed

Dropped by (apparently) the first non-airport location of Vino Volo on Bethesda Row. The left side is a cafe, the right side a wine shop (honestly, I didn't walk around that side, but that's what it looked like.) We sat at the bar and just barely made it in time to order a few tasting flights ("Malbec Madness" for her, "Spanish Armada" for me.)

It's a cute little space. Seems to try to be an urban farmhouse - there's some wooden crate decorations, retro filament lighting, like that. We were just nibbling, but tried a nice plate of pitted seasoned olives and the pork tacos, which needed the lime wedge that garnished it.

From what I gather, their big thing is the "vino chart", which is a graphic representation of the wine's flavor profile. (For wine dummies like me, I admit to appreciating the effort.) "Complexity" is the x-axis and "Fruit" on the y-axis; the graphic is also divided into four quadrants, so from (x,y=0,0) clockwise, it's: "light", "bright", "rich", "brooding." (Better visualization below - this is the general one on their website, but each wine ends up with a dot on the graphic.)

post-4177-0-28941800-1367014799_thumb.gi

Soooo ... seems nice. Happy Hour is half-price off "bites and flights", and runs 4-6pm, which is a nice deal if you want to try some different things. I ended up also trying a flight of rosé (and discovering the Boxwood 2012 is really pretty tasty.) I guess we'd go back.

I just had a light lunch at Vino Volo (Dulles Airport), and was very happy with my meal.

They have a nice selection of wines for retail purchase, and charge a $12 corkage fee if you have one of them in the restaurant (the seating area of the restaurant is nicer than most of the other restaurants in this concourse).

A Brie & Prosciutto Sandwich ($12) is expensive for a small sandwich (a half-portion is $7), served on a sourdough dinner roll with a goodly amount of prosciutto and brie, topped with arugula and fig jam. Expense aside, this is easily the best food I've ever had at Dulles Airport. Washed down with a (non-alcoholic) Sparkling Apple Cider with Blood Orange ($3.50) served in a large champagne flute.

While I can't justify putting this in Italic, I can say without reservation that it's worth the trip - and a trip it is, too. It is waaaaaay down at the end of C Concourse, by gate C1 - if you're in the D concourse, the walk there can be something close to a half mile each way.

Seconded.  I think it's the United concourse (?)  I've eaten there twice - small plates and wine by the glass - and each time was pleasantly surprised.  It is pricey, but so is everything else in an airport, so you may as well eat something you will enjoy.   

I see that one all the time, and I never seem to have time to stop there!

I'm glad - must mean that your flights are on time! Sadly, I've been a regular there over the past few weeks due to delays... I should mention that they have a good, and expanding, selection of VA wines, including RdV, should you want to bring a bottle of VA wine to your final destination.

I just had a light lunch at Vino Volo (Dulles Airport), and was very happy with my meal.

They have a nice selection of wines for retail purchase, and charge a $12 corkage fee if you have one of them in the restaurant (the seating area of the restaurant is nicer than most of the other restaurants in this concourse).

A Brie & Prosciutto Sandwich ($12) is expensive for a small sandwich (a half-portion is $7), served on a sourdough dinner roll with a goodly amount of prosciutto and brie, topped with arugula and fig jam. Expense aside, this is easily the best food I've ever had at Dulles Airport. Washed down with a (non-alcoholic) Sparkling Apple Cider with Blood Orange ($3.50) served in a large champagne flute.

While I can't justify putting this in Italic, I can say without reservation that it's worth the trip - and a trip it is, too. It is waaaaaay down at the end of C Concourse, by gate C1 - if you're in the D concourse, the walk there can be something close to a half mile each way.

Have been here a bunch of times and, as happens often enough to surprise me (slow learner, I guess ;) ), didn't realize there was a dr thread for it.

Have bolded two parts of Don's August review above for a comment and question.

- on the "expense aside..." line, I'd heartily agree but assert that that is a pretty low bar.

- and, on "worth the trip," have to ask to confirm: you mean once at IAD, I assume? Surely you can't mean worth a trip from DC or NoVa (to Tysons or still-fairly-food-challenged Bethesda Row), right?

Have been here a bunch of times and, as happens often enough to surprise me (slow learner, I guess ;) ), didn't realize there was a dr thread for it.

Have bolded two parts of Don's August review above for a comment and question.

- on the "expense aside..." line, I'd heartily agree but assert that that is a pretty low bar.

- and, on "worth the trip," have to ask to confirm: you mean once at IAD, I assume? Surely you can't mean worth a trip from DC or NoVa (to Tysons or still-fairly-food-challenged Bethesda Row), right?

Yes, most definitely "once at IAD" - don't make a special trip for this! (You couldn't get through security even if you did.) My comment was about it being a shockingly long walk (like, 10 minutes) from the other end of D concourse, but it's worth the walk and (one hopes) should force other restaurants in Dulles to up their game.

I agree wholeheartedly that it's a low bar. The best DC airport food used to be Matsutake in DCA (ever noticed how Facebook has popularized the use of airport codes?)

As long as everyone's discussing Vino Volo, would two of you like to go to their Grand Opening on Wednesday night, representing donrockwell.com?

The DanielK rules apply.

Please post here - the first to post with a +1, gets it (I would prefer this be one group of two people; not two groups of one person).

They will be checking names at the door, so I need to write them and get your name on the list.

We would like to invite you to experience a bit of wine country at the Grand Opening of Vino Volo at Tysons Galleria on Wednesday, September 18.  Join us from 6-9pm as we welcome the restaurant, wine bar and wine shop with live music, tasty bites and wine flights - of course!

As long as everyone's discussing Vino Volo, would two of you like to go to their Grand Opening on Wednesday night, representing donrockwell.com?

The DanielK rules apply.

Please post here - the first to post with a +1, gets it (I would prefer this be one group of two people; not two groups of one person).

They will be checking names at the door, so I need to write them and get your name on the list.

Still up for grabs - I need to RSVP by Monday with names, so if nobody replies by then, we'll take a pass.

Not sure where I was in September Don, but didn't see the post above.  Given I work down the street, I would have happily represented :)

Anyway, first visit last night for a business dinner with a wine-oriented colleague.  We had a really nice time.  I had the sparkling flight and enjoyed it enough to go back today and purchase a bottle of one of the sparklers.  (Bottle was $25 on the retail side, $40 on the menu.)  Colleague enjoyed two red wine flights.

We shared a cheese plate (sage derby cheddar, NY tumbleweed and a spicy coppa).  I wasn't a fan of the coppa, but the NY Tumbleweed was excellent.  These were served with some baguette toast slices, a bit of fig jam, mustard, and a few dried fruits.  nice platter all in all.

We also ordered the grilled asparagus which was excellent; the lamb meatballs which I thought were meh; and the roasted shrimp which were perfectly cooked.

A very nice change of pace from the normal mall fare, will definitely visit again.

Vino Volo is also opening in Tysons Galleria on September 19th.

Sometime in the past few months, the Tysons Galleria Vino Volo closed. Although they still have many locations, Vino Volo has tweeted only five times in the past six months, so they appear to be putting less emphasis on that aspect of their business.