Taconelli's, Coal-Fired Pizzeria in East Richmond, Maple Shade, NJ, and Opening at Navy Yard

One thing I wish I could do more of when I visit my home town of Philadelphia is stop by the neighborhood of Port Richmond. Home to many Polish immigrants, it boasts stores, deli's and restaurants which serve up good old-fashioned Polish food. I miss it.

Other not to miss places include Syrenka's Restaurant and Taconelli's Pizza.

Taconelli's Pizza, on E. Somerset St has honest to goodness thin crust brick oven 'za. Be aware that it's very popular and hitting it at peak service time could mean a wait. Eh, go wait at the bar across the street!

Taconelli is legitimate, real coal oven pizza where the coal burns in the oven with the pizza. It is also the BEST pizza in the greater Philadelphia area which includes DeLorenzo's on Hudson street in Trenton. (although this is 95% as good) As such it is known. Anyone going there should call SEVERAL hours prior to arriving to RESERVE OVEN SPACE. It is not just about standing in line at Taconelli's. You must also reserve oven space.

It is worth it.

I still have dreams about Tacconelli's white pizza.

BTW - just to argue a completely useless point - you reserve dough, not oven space.

I told a date once to remember to call and reserve the dough. We got there and couldn't eat. He thought I'd been kidding.

Does "really steamed" mean anything? :)

Taconelli is legitimate, real coal oven pizza where the coal burns in the oven with the pizza. It is also the BEST pizza in the greater Philadelphia area which includes DeLorenzo's on Hudson street in Trenton. (although this is 95% as good) As such it is known. Anyone going there should call SEVERAL hours prior to arriving to RESERVE OVEN SPACE. It is not just about standing in line at Taconelli's. You must also reserve oven space.

It is worth it.

Taconelli's is not coal-fired.  First time I went, I loved it, the second time I liked it (dough was meh) Atmosphere is perfect and you can bring your own beer.