The Standard Tap, Chef Carolynn Angle's Local and Seasonal Dishes - 2nd and Poplar Street in Northern Liberties

While in Philly earlier this summer, I had a chance to visit the renowned Standard Tap in the Northern Liberties neighborhood (website). Great jukebox, relaxed, non-fussy vibe, fresh nicely executed food classics at extremely reasonable prices, local beer. Can anybody nominate what might be the local equivalent of a "gastro-pub" or which place might come closest?

While in Philly earlier this summer, I had a chance to visit the renowned Standard Tap in the Northern Liberties neighborhood (website). Great jukebox, relaxed, non-fussy vibe, fresh nicely executed food classics at extremely reasonable prices, local beer. Can anybody nominate what might be the local equivalent of a "gastro-pub" or which place might come closest?

I have NEVER found anything like the Standard Tap. The food there is truly fabulous, the beer is excellent, and staff are second to none. I miss that place so much. The fried smelt is a perfect, late night snack. The chicken pot pie has a tender crust with a truly homemade filling. The lamb chops are succulent. Oh, lord...I think I wet myself just THINKING about this place. :)

One thing that elevates the Tap beyond the usual bar (apart from the food, beer, and general atmosphere) are the staff. One night, my wife and I were having dinner with friends and my wife's purse got stolen. The staff was very helpful and understanding (comp'd us on our dinner to help alleviate the pain). Then, the next day, our friends got a call at 7am from someone who said they found my wife's purse. Apparently, the staff put the word out that a purse had been stolen and gave people the salient details. Within hours, their network of locals had found it. It was minus cash and CCs, but house/car keys, DL, etc were all still there. It probably wouldn't have found it's way back to her without the help of the Tap staff. They are simply great people.

If any of the Tap staff are reading this, then you know who I am and we miss you guys!

In Rittenhouse, there's Tria Cafe; a wine, beer and cheese bar (how bad could that be?).

In U. City, try the While Dog Cafe for lunch. The bar/lounge area is cozy. And, you can shop next door at the funky Black Cat shop. wink.gif

eta: Another lunch idea: Le Bar Lyonnais, downstairs at Le Bec Fin.

Standard Tap is always a good option, in the Northern Liberties nabe.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

I have to second the nomination for Standard Tap. The beer was great (and I'm not even a beer person), and the food was really good. I had the chicken pie, which was finished off with a little swirl on the crust, and my husband looked at it longingly while I ate around it and then made it my last bite. He had the duck breast, which he really enjoyed, but I found a little sweet.

I know I've said it before, but I can't recommend the Standard Tap enough - especially now that it's non-smoking (but with a smoking patio...apparently they got a special exemption for now). That places continues to amaze me with it's food. Don't ever pass up the fried smelts. They are perfect bar food. We'll probably have our New Year's Day brunch at The Tap.

My finally stop on the trail was way off the beat path. A quick trip up 3rd Avenue to the Nothern Liberty neighborhood brought me to The Standard Tap. The kind of neighborhood joint that anyone would be happy to have near by, The Standard Tap offers a smaller but well choosen beer list from regional brewers likes Yards, Victory, Legacy Brewing, and Dogfish head (just to name a few) and offers two beers by hand pump. If I lived in Philly, I could see myself spending a lot of time at the Standard Tap!