Dining in Penn's Landing

I'll be staying in the Penns Landing area for a few days next week. Any nearby places that are good for bar and/or solo dining? Are Monk's or Standard Tap within walking distance? Thanks.

You could walk to either of those, but it won't be a short walk... about 1.5 miles to the Standard Tap and maybe 2+ miles to Monk's. Guess it depends on how cold it is outside and how drunk you plan on getting smile.gif Closer by (which would be Old City), I'd go to Eulogy (not too sure about the food there, but the beer selection is nice) or, as long as you don't have a problem dining solo at a table, hit some of the BYOBs there like Mandoline or Django (and bring a nice 1/2 bottle of wine).

I'll be staying in the Penns Landing area for a few days next week. Any nearby places that are good for bar and/or solo dining? Are Monk's or Standard Tap within walking distance? Thanks.

Monks and Standard Tap are not easily walkable ,although you could think about taking public transit to get where you want. Take a look at the "L"- the Market-Frankford rail line. From Penn's Landing (are you at the Hyatt??) you can easily walk to Old City where the bar and restaurant scene is among the best in the city. Although Don had a not so great dining experience at Amada, I would still recommend it highly. The bar is full service and there are seats right in front of the open kitchen which would make for great solo dining.

At 2nd and Market, which is essentially the heart of Old City, the L runs up Market St. Don't miss a chance to take it 2 stops up and hit Reading Terminal Market-DiNic's roast pork is not to be missed but there is an amazing array of food so you can just get whatever strikes you at the time. Which brings up the Amish Down Home Diner for breakfast, if you can get there in the morning. Other highlights are Hershel's Deli and Delilah's soul food. Skip Carmen's famous hoagies, by all means.

Again in Old City, Campo's is well known for their cheesesteaks and hoagies.

Fork and Fork etc. are on Market too. Fork would be great for dinner and Fork etc. would be a nice option for breakfast and lunch.

The Snow White diner at 2nd and Market is a cheap greasy spoon which beats paying double digits for breakfast at a hotel.

Penn's Landing is the rare place that's both touristy *and* wonderful. Does anyone have any updates as to drinking or dining recommendations, now that the weather has changed for the warmer (oh, don't worry, as soon as I write this, we'll have a cold snap). :)

Philly natives, we could *really* use your help here, as well as in various other places, but this will do just fine for now. Write me personally and get to know me - we need you. I cannot run this forum by myself because I do not have your expertise. 1-2 visits a year does *not* an expert make. I want the Philadelphia Forum to be locally run by native Philadelphia residents, and for my job to be to stay our of your way, performing copy-edit enhancements in the process (I come across quite a few typos), but *not* changing what you write other than to provide links, just in case the reader wants to dig deeper. I'm here to serve you; not to control you; just the opposite, actually - you control me. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's rooted in good intentions.

Let's be a team? I'll do by absolute best to serve you to the best of my abilities. We'll become friends, I promise you. I believe that once you "get" my goal, you'll see that I have this wonderful city and its residents in mind as our target audience, and I will do everything in my power to make sure Philadelphia is treated with the great respect that it deserves, and that you, individually, can rise to the top of the heap - I will promote you like you've never been promoted before. I won't lie, I won't cheat, I won't steal, but I will work harder than you've ever seen anyone work before - all to make you famous. I promise you this.

On 3/11/2016 at 2:50 AM, DonRocks said:

Penn's Landing is the rare place that's both touristy *and* wonderful. Does anyone have any updates as to drinking or dining recommendations, now that the weather has changed for the warmer (oh, don't worry, as soon as I write this, we'll have a cold snap). :)

Philly natives, we could *really* use your help here, as well as in various other places, but this will do just fine for now. Write me personally and get to know me - we need you. I cannot run this forum by myself because I do not have your expertise. 1-2 visits a year does *not* an expert make. I want the Philadelphia Forum to be locally run by native Philadelphia residents, and for my job to be to stay our of your way, performing copy-edit enhancements in the process (I come across quite a few typos), but *not* changing what you write other than to provide links, just in case the reader wants to dig deeper. I'm here to serve you; not to control you; just the opposite, actually - you control me. And there's nothing wrong with that as long as it's rooted in good intentions.

Let's be a team? I'll do by absolute best to serve you to the best of my abilities. We'll become friends, I promise you. I believe that once you "get" my goal, you'll see that I have this wonderful city and its residents in mind as our target audience, and I will do everything in my power to make sure Philadelphia is treated with the great respect that it deserves, and that you, individually, can rise to the top of the heap - I will promote you like you've never been promoted before. I won't lie, I won't cheat, I won't steal, but I will work harder than you've ever seen anyone work before - all to make you famous. I promise you this.

I have spent a great deal of time on Twitter following food bloggers, and food people in general that report about the Philly dining scene. I hope to enlist a few people to join the forum to report what's going on  in Philly. There  are so many neighborhoods in Philly to cover, and that is just Center City. I continue to spread the value of this forum, and hope along the way, someone takes my advice and joins the conversation. We are by far the most informed forum, or resource out there. We can do this, I believe we can.