Nick's 2210 - Roast Beef Sandwiches at 2210 Cottman Avenue in Northeast

Do you live in Philly? Happens to be one of my favorite food cities. Every couple of months I make my way up for Ocean Harbor, Dmitri's, and cheesesteaks of course. I was at Morimoto about a month ago and was sadly disappointed. It used to be my measuring stick for Japanese food, but I fear quality is slipping slightly as of late. Recently, Leon's, a bit south of the city, has assumed my top spot for best cheesesteak in Philly.

Come to think of it, I can't ever recall seeing pit beef anywhere else but here. That's definitely worth investigation. I want to go to NY to sample beef on weck - one of the most poetic accountings of meat ever was in Gourmet's Road Food column many years ago, wherein the sliced, medium rare beef was described as (and i paraphrase) looking like soft, velvety rose petals. Mmm, rose petals.

By the way, has anyone been to Little Texas on Pulaski? I've driven past countless times, but have never been inclined or able to stop and check it out.

I grew up in Philly - I live in Alexandria now. Interestingly, you wont find pit beef in Philly, but roast beef sandwiches are very popular. Nick's Roast Beef is somewhere to go when you've grown up eating hot roast beef sandwiches (cheese or not) on kaiser rolls at every single birthday, graduation, confirmation and communion party! Then there's the Philly "beef and beer", which is the way to throw a party or fund raiser (generally in a fire hall) in Philly.

I don't think that the roast beef sandwiches I grew up with have the same nuance as B'more's, but it is a very popular sandwich that most Philadelphians will like and have memories of.