Apothecary Lounge, Bernbachian Cocktail Lounge in Midtown Village - Closed

Adam Bernbach suggested I visit Apothecary when I was in Philly. If you know Adam, and you know his taste in music and cocktails, you'll know why he recommended it. The list is full of complex cocktails. I just happened to hit it on the night that the two guys who does similar things to Adam were not there. I tasted three different cocktails that hit the range from Dimetapp-flavored (Aviation) to slightly margarita-like but without the crappy rum (La Paloma) to a drink Papa Hemingway-style - citrusy and only slightly boozy tasting (La Floradita). They were also out of a ton of stuff to make their version of a Manhattan, a pisco sour, or gin ramos fizz. If you hit Apothecary it sounds like it is much better to hit it on a weekend when the two crazy bartenders are there. But even so, it was a nice place to relax after a long week.

yeah, apothecary is a great place to relax, though, i think i prefer the upstairs bar, on a slower night, when it's not super chaotic in there, and i can converse with the bartenders. i enjoyed the chocolatey rusteolo the times i've been. (i think they just started a happy hour during the week days; they are closed on mondays).

and the fact that it's across the street from capogiro is an extra bonus. biggrin.gif

Adam Bernbach suggested I visit Apothecary when I was in Philly. If you know Adam, and you know his taste in music and cocktails, you'll know why he recommended it. The list is full of complex cocktails. I just happened to hit it on the night that the two guys who does similar things to Adam were not there. I tasted three different cocktails that hit the range from Dimetapp-flavored (Aviation) to slightly margarita-like but without the crappy rum (La Paloma) to a drink Papa Hemingway-style - citrusy and only slightly boozy tasting (La Floradita). They were also out of a ton of stuff to make their version of a Manhattan, a pisco sour, or gin ramos fizz. If you hit Apothecary it sounds like it is much better to hit it on a weekend when the two crazy bartenders are there. But even so, it was a nice place to relax after a long week.

---

[Apothecary Lounge Closed on October 2, 2010.]

Edited by DonRocks