The Golden Flame in Silver Spring - Chef Pedro Matamoros Has Come And Gone - Closed

I read a while back that Pedro Matamoros has moved to Silver Spring's Golden Flame.  Wondering if anyone has tried it out since then?  We are thinking of going soon, so will report.

We went a few weeks ago. I can do steaks better at home. Can't compare to Ray's the Classics. Disappointed by the appetizer too, stale prosciutto-wrapped date and cheese that was not even melted.

Maybe it's still a work in progress?

Doesn't sound promising! But, may still give it a try.

We went for a family dinner tonight with our kids and 2 grandkids to celebrate the end of school and beginning of summer, and actually had a really lovely meal. The dining room is spacious and pleasant. The wait staff was more than competent and quite charming. The menu was designed for Father's Day. Nothing too exotic. We had a number of appetizers including delicious crab balls, fried calamari which were crispy and tender with a tasty lemony sauce, shrimp cocktail (granddaughter's choice), and oysters Rockefeller. I didn't try the oysters, but my son and husband loved them.

My daughter-in-law had a scallop main dish that she raved about. I had Potato-crusted Salmon on a bed of Mediterranean-style vegetables which was very nicely cooked and very tasty. We shared a few desserts - apple pie and ice cream, chocolate brownie ice cream sundae and a citrus creme brulee - all very popular. I only tasted the creme brulee and it was delicious.

The chef, Pedro, came out and chatted with us, which was nice. He's hoping to get settled in and probably stir things up a bit. I would go back.

They were at the Silver Spring farmer's market this morning serving free samples of a mushroom slider which was quite good and interesting. Primarily composed of oyster mushrooms and with a nice slightly spicy and tangy sauce. Served with some pickled zucchini and onions on the side. They were definitely trying to emphasize that the restaurant is undergoing dramatic changes from what it used to be like, whatever that might have been since I had never been. They had little info cards that indicate that happy hour features half priced wines on a couple nights and the card included a 15% discount on meal, excluding alcohol.

We were last in this restaurant in 1972 when it first opened and we lived 2 blocks away in Silver Spring. We tried it once and never returned. However, as a result of the earlier comments, we decided to return last night with another couple. I do not believe that the décor or the owner has changed much since 1972, but there has been a marked improvement in the food and service, and the strength and taste of the Old Fashioneds ($10 and very appropriate for the occasion) were very much better than expected. Among the 4 of us, we shared an appetizer of fava bean hummus with harrissa that was very tasty and accompanied by grilled pita with a garlicky taste. The 4 entrees were fresh salmon, lobster ravioli, roasted chicken, and fettuccine with lamb Bolognese. Each, except for the fettuccine, was accompanied by nicely prepared vegetables and very fresh and warm mini baguettes. Everyone was very pleased with his/her selection, and enjoyed freshly brewed strong coffee afterwards. The waiter, Mike (who provided excellent service) explained that the menu and restaurant were in transition and the chef was trying different dishes to see what worked. He mentioned that they had some old customers who still expected to find a salad bar and fried shrimp, neither of which were present last night. Based on our very satisfactory experience last night, we definitely plan to return soon.

• Like 3

Bethesda Magazine reports that Pedro Matamoros and a silent partner are buying the Golden Flame.  "Matamoros said that the restaurant will keep the mixed menu until mid-September, when it will close for a few days and reopen with a new name (as yet to be announced) and a new concept."  See article here.

We were last in this restaurant in 1972 when it first opened and we lived 2 blocks away in Silver Spring.  We tried it once and never returned.  However, as a result of the earlier comments, we decided to return last night with another couple.  I do not believe that the décor or the owner has changed much since 1972, but there has been a marked improvement in the food and service, and the strength and taste of the Old Fashioneds ($10 and very appropriate for the occasion) were very much better than expected.  Among the 4 of us, we shared an appetizer of fava bean hummus with harrissa that was very tasty and accompanied by grilled pita with a garlicky taste.  The 4 entrees were fresh salmon, lobster ravioli, roasted chicken, and fettuccine with lamb Bolognese.  Each, except for the fettuccine, was accompanied by nicely prepared vegetables and very fresh and warm mini baguettes.  Everyone was very pleased with his/her selection, and enjoyed freshly brewed strong coffee afterwards.  The waiter, Mike (who provided excellent service) explained that the menu and restaurant were in transition and the chef was trying different dishes to see what worked.  He mentioned that they had some old customers who still expected to find a salad bar and fried shrimp, neither of which were present last night.  Based on our very satisfactory experience last night, we definitely plan to return soon.  

Some of these threads make me feel so danged old.  I didn't eat there in '72 but I used to live and work around there and I know I ate there a couple of times probably in the late '70's.  I was as uninspired as stevep, but I know I ate there more than once.

Good luck to the new owner.   If nothing else I bet he has relatively inexpensive rent.

Bethesda Magazine now reports that Pedro Matamoros is no longer with Golden Flame and is now the chef at the forthcoming Mix Bar and Grille,9812 Falls Road, Potomac, MD, where Bezu was.  The article also says Mix Bar and Grill should open at the end of this month.

They previously reported that Pedro Matamoros was buying Golden Flame.  The article explains:

Matamoros had said that he was buying Golden Flame with a silent partner (see my blog, July 26), but said today that the deal fell through.

Vassilios Marmaras, the founder and owner of the Golden Flame since 1972, said "there was no such agreement. I had an agreement [for him] to work here, but not to buy the restaurant."

Matamoros concurred that there was no signed, official agreement, but that the two had seriously discussed the idea.

Bethesda Magazine now reports that Pedro Matamoros is no longer with Golden Flame and is now the chef at the forthcoming Mix Bar and Grille,9812 Falls Road, Potomac, MD, where Bezu was.  The article also says Mix Bar and Grill should open at the end of this month. 

Hoo boy, does this sound like a classic case of "I need income in between real jobs" (not to mention unfortunate reporting).

On a tangential note, the exodus from Tabard Inn achieved epic proportions this summer.