Banh Mi DC Sandwich, Vietnamese Bakery on Route 50 in West Falls Church

DonRocks

Did we really not have a thread on this place?

When I'm dashing through Falls Church mid-day, such as was the case last Wednesday, I usually stop in DC Sandwich for a quick bite. I had the #2 if memory serves, which is grilled pork. Extra meat for an additional $1.50. It was quite tasty, although the bun was a bit too flaky on the outside. Nonetheless, for the price, this is a superior nosh to anything from a fast-food place.

There is simply not enough love on this Board for Le Bledo Bakery in Springfield. Part of the reason may be that it is difficult to describe. It's a legitimate French bakery where the birthday cakes are top-notch. But then, it's also a Vietnamese luncheon buffet, with nice quality and quantity for a good price. But then, it's also a Vietnamese snack counter, where you can get spring rolls and pork rolls that rival those of the Eden Center. But then, it's also a Banh Mi shop as good as, and cleaner than, DC Sandwich. But then, it's also a little Vietnamese grocerette where you can get the sticky rice sweets wrapped in banana leafs, along with other goodies. It's a little bit of a lot of things, and it's genuinely good.

Rhone1998 -- didn't get a picture. But the meat and texture will be slightly different. My mom loves the pate at the Banh Mi So 1 place in Eden Center. Otherwise, I saw DC sandwich on Route 50 as a suggestion.

<shrug> *snurp?*

I just read this on Todd Kliman's June 4th chat:

In fact, I think the ham and head cheese combination might be not just the best banh mi in the area, but the best sandwich, period.

It's always useful to calibrate your palate to your favorite critic's, so if you think this sandwich at Bí¡nh Mi DC Sandwich is perhaps the best sandwich, of any type, in the entire DC area, then you've got your critic.

They have my favorite chicken sandwich - lots of roast chicken (sometimes including cartilage) and lots of mayo. Their chicken is distinguishable from Bale (Bale chicken always seems too shredded and dry) and the Eden joints (e.g., Nhu Lan, Banh Mi So 1, Les Baguettes - chicken in small pieces and too sweet). The bread is okay, maybe on the too doughy side. I've tried lots of their sandwiches (including tuna, sardine, fish cake, combo and grilled pork) and I like them all. I know many people like their grilled pork sandwich. I think they make the best Banh Mi sandwiches for the area.

Found myself hunting down some furniture way out in these parts so I stopped in to grab a couple Banh Mi.  Quite tasty indeed.  Went with the grilled pork, the pork was finely chopped and had that slightly disturbing fake red food coloring look, and the tofu, very nice soft pillowy cubes of fried tofu.  Both were stuffed with long slices of cucumber, do chua, jalapeno and cilantro.

Banh Mi DC is the kind of Asian store that I like - lots of other prepared foods wrapped up to go.  Big selection of various dried jerky.  Although it is light on the grocery end of things - mostly standard issue jars of sauces and condiments (squid brand fish sauce etc.) which you can find at any well stocked Whole Foods.

Too bad it's a long 8 mile drive from DC (Route 50 in Saturday afternoon traffic....sucky).  I would definitely drop in again if I'm back out in those parts.

post-44-0-69197200-1410803642_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Found myself hunting down some furniture way out in these parts so I stopped in to grab a couple Banh Mi.  Quite tasty indeed.  Went with the grilled pork, the pork was finely chopped and had that slightly disturbing fake red food coloring look, and the tofu, very nice soft pillowy cubes of fried tofu.  Both were stuffed with long slices of cucumber, do chua, jalapeno and cilantro.

Banh Mi DC is the kind of Asian store that I like - lots of other prepared foods wrapped up to go.  Big selection of various dried jerky.  Although it is light on the grocery end of things - mostly standard issue jars of sauces and condiments (squid brand fish sauce etc.) which you can find at any well stocked Whole Foods.

I had driven by dozens of times and never stopped as some of my inlaws live right down the street. Finally went in yesterday and could not believe the amount of food for the price. We had the grilled pork as well as the veggie and the total was less than $9. Veggie was a little on the dry side but no complaints otherwise.

I agree 110% on the prepared foods to go- love it.

I had driven by dozens of times and never stopped as some of my inlaws live right down the street.  

Can identify. My in-laws had a house out in the Sperryville/Etlan area of VA. "No! I just know they'll drop in if I'm there, I'd rather have my teeth drilled!".

Just happened to be in the area and checked out some of the items. Their "xôi gấc" use food coloring instead of gấc ̣( Momordica cochinchinensis). They should have changed the name to xoi red no 40 to be more honest. That's an indication of corner cutting establishment.

Today we were at Westover Farmer's Market. Atwater was sold out of croissants when we preordered and didn't have any extra for grab and go. SO we decided to grab some Banh Mi from here. There was a ling out the door and the system was not well spelled out. A guy who phoned in  his order couldn't tell where to go to get his order and despite arriving right after us, he only got his order a minute or two ahead of us. Everyone had masks on and there was a card reader for every person working the line. We feasted.

2 crispy egg roll: these were piping hot and crispy. Not just due to the heat lamp, because they were bringing freshly prepared trays of goodies the whole time were were there. A++. I really can't remember a better spring roll except maybe Present or Pho Hot when they first opened. Only downside was no sweet dipping sauce. Next time I will know to ask.

3 big summer rolls with shrimp and pork. Tasty but I can't say that I haven't had lots better. B-

#1 cold cut special: lots of mystery pork meat, pate, spicy mayo, veggies and a goodly amount of chilies. Really good. A

#2 grilled pork- I  think our last pork bahn mi was the BBQ pork and we should have done that. Or even more so, the BBQ pork belly. The grilled was a touch dry, but with all the trimmings it went just as fast. B

2 iced coffees with condensed milk. Delicious! Less sweet than some, nice crushed ie rather than cubes. A

All in all, this is my second favorite Bahn Mi joint. I prefer it to the one in Eden Plaze, Soi #1 I htink. Not as good as Le Bledo in Springfield which is my standard to judge by. Where overall, Bahn Mi DC is an A-, Le Bledo is an A+. It is just we are much less likely to be close by and Bahn Mi is not the kind of food you make a special trip for. 

• Like 3

Thanks to the pandemic and virtual lock down, I hadn't had a decent banh mi sandwich in a few months, so I had a hankering. I drove to DC Sandwich, arrived at 11:30ish on a Friday, and the line was short. Social distancing was practiced nicely. I ordered the #1 combination, the #7 meat ball, plus 3 crispy eggs rolls, and a few of the scattered dishes on the table leading to the order window.

I agree with Dean on the egg rolls. Really good and satisfying little flavor bombs. I took everything home and devoured both banh mi -- I'm not a fan of the actual rolls themselves, but the insides were very good. The meatballs, whatever they're made from, are delicious, and the various cold cuts on the #1 come together with the veggies to provide a crunch and soft combination of textures that hits the spot. 

Those other dishes were also good, and made for some nice weekend noshing. I don't know how they put them out on the table without refrigeration -- many Vietnamese restaurants do the same thing -- but they hold up well over a few days in the fridge at home. One dish was sliced mystery meat over lettuce and cucumbers with a nice dipping sauce, and another was slightly sweet rice cake with a topping of minced pork and shrimp. I greatly enjoyed both of them.

The sandwiches used to be $3.5 each - maybe 5 or 6 years ago.  Now it's $6.5.  The price is matched by other banh mi joints (went to Eden Center yesterday for a walk about).  I had a chicken banh mi today with extra meat for $9.50 (tax included).  The pepper in the sandwich is definitely spicy - so they may be using serrano.  The chicken is still tasty, much better than the mystery chicken I had yesterday at Huong Binh Bakery.  The eggrolls used to be around 75 cents and are now $1.7.   I haven't been to Banh Mi DC in a long time so I have no idea when the prices went up.