SOMM: An Evening of Wine & Film at the Angelika - Wednesday, June 19th Starting at 6 PM (Film at 7:30 PM)

Hi everyone! The Angelika has a great event next Wednesday for wine lovers of all stripes - it's a one-off screening of the documentary "SOMM" (following Master Sommelier candidates) followed by a Q&A with DC's own Master Sommelier Keith Goldston, and moderated by TasteDC's Charlie Adler.

The ticket price includes a pre-screening wine tasting of several nice selections, provided by Beringer.

Here are the full details:

post-10444-0-62780000-1371226678_thumb.j

Please join us for SOMM An Evening of Wine & Film at the Angelika

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

6:00pm - WINE SAMPLING

Select wines provided by Beringer:

Beringer Napa Chardonnay

Beringer Napa Cabernet Sauvignon

Beringer Knights Valley Meritage Red Blend

(Must be 21 or over with ID to participate.)

7:30pm - SCREENING OF SOMM

followed by Q&A with Master Sommelier - Keith Goldston

moderated by Charlie Adler (TasteDC)

$25 ticket per person: on sale now

About the film:

Four men will do anything to pass the most difficult test you've NEVER heard of...

SOMM takes the viewer on a humorous, emotional and illuminating look into a mysterious world - the Court of Master Sommeliers and the massively intimidating Master Sommelier Exam. The Court of Master Sommeliers is one of the world's most prestigious, secretive, and exclusive organizations. Since its inception almost 40 years ago, less than 200 candidates have reached the exalted Master level. The exam covers literally every nuance of the world of wine, spirits and cigars.

Those who have passed have put at risk their personal lives, their well- being, and often their sanity to pull it off. Shrouded in secrecy, access to the Court Of Master Sommeliers has always been strictly regulated and cameras have never been allowed anywhere near the exam, until now. How much do you think you know about wine? SOMM will make you think again. SOMM takes you on the ultimate insider's tour into a world of obsession, hope, and friendship in red, blanc and sometimes rose.

About Keith Goldston, Master Sommelier:

Born and raised in Napa Valley, Keith Goldston is one of the world's youngest Master Sommeliers and the proud recipient of the illustrious Krug Cup trophy. His "Have Corkscrew - Will Travel" attitude has found him making sake in Japan, judging wine competitions and teaching wine classes in Korea and China, opening wine bars in India, chasing kangaroos in Australia, crossing the Andes in search of great wine, working for the Culinary Institute of America, as well as teaching and examining for the Court of Master Sommeliers. He is currently wine director at Bryan Voltaggio's RANGE.

ANGELIKA FILM CENTER & CAFE

2911 DISTRICT AVE @ LEE HWY & GALLOWS RD | FAIRFAX, VA 22031

www.AngelikaFilmCenter.com

My wife and I went to this event last night. This was only the third movie that we have been to since my daughter was born (May 2012) and this was the best, by far. The movie itself is captivating in a variety of ways. I am not a documentary guy, but this one was simply awesome. The wine tasting beforehand helped set the mood (I was easily getting half glass or more pours with each wine). We did not get a chance to stay afterwards for the Q&A, we had to get home to the babysitter, but I'm sure that was a great addition to the entire event.

Did anyone stay for the Q&A afterwards? Any interesting tidbits come out of that?

• Like 1