Axum and Level X Lounge, Ethiopian on 9th and T Street in Little Ethiopia - Closed

My fav spot, Zenebach, has been a little hit-or-miss lately. And, let's face it, the only reason people go to Etete is that it's the closest thing to a standard American restaurant in decor and service in Little Ethiopia -- the food there hasn't been exciting for a while, but your Aunt from Cincinnati won't be put off by random service strategies, suspect (to her eyes) sanitation, or a too-fiery wat.

So we dropped randomly into Axum (1934 9th) for a snack last night. Didn't get much, just a vegetarian assortment for the young ladies and a spicy dried beef/injera preparation and a lamb wat for us manly men.

Came away favorably impressed -- assertive but not ridiculous spicing marked by depth as well as heat, tasty vegetables and legumes, friendly service and an owner that cared enough to send me an extra gin and tonic and wave goodby. I won't get into ranking the place against other establishments, but I'd definitely drop in again. And the kids, who have consumed restaurant criticism and Ethiopian food since they were old enough to cram a fistful of injera into their gap-toothed mouths (since Zed's was the benchmark establishments, in the old location), came away enthusiastic, as well.

Give it a shot.

And the kids, who have consumed restaurant criticism and Ethiopian food since they were old enough to cram a fistful of injera into their gap-toothed mouths (since Zed's was the benchmark establishments, in the old location), came away enthusiastic, as well.

Love it...one of my son's first solid foods was kik alicha. He loves the stuff.