Zeke's Coffee, Thomas Rhodes' Independent Coffee House on Harford Road in Beverly Hills

Absolutely what Gordon should now do. Agree with Rocks that doing this right could be the difference. The Zekes name will cause confusion (the coffee guys, Baltimore based and now at the Sunday Bethesda Farmers' Market, are looking for their own retail space in the area now) and not be memorable. Will become 'that donut place in Dupont.'

I hope this doesn't at all get in the way of the Baltimore Zeke's guys from opening a store in DC. Their coffee is great.

• Like 1

I think 99% of their potential customers have no idea who Disco Dan is.

I think 99% of their potential customers have never heard of the other Zeke's.

If anything, the "controversy" surrounding the name change is giving them far more opening publicity than they ever would have gotten otherwise.

I think 99% of their potential customers have no idea who Disco Dan is.

I think 99% of their potential customers have never heard of the other Zeke's.

If anything, the "controversy" surrounding the name change is giving them far more opening publicity than they ever would have gotten otherwise.

I think you are 100% right.

• Like 1

I hope this doesn't at all get in the way of the Baltimore Zeke's guys from opening a store in DC. Their coffee is great.

You know, funny you say that. With the giant qualifier that I've never been to their shop in Baltimore and have only tried the pre-brewed/coffee pot stuff at Bethesda, haven't been wowed. But totally unfair to judge it based only on that. They do have a very cool website here. And checkout the video under the "roastery" tab--maybe the best small roaster video I've seen at 57 seconds.

*** Attn friendly mods: would you kindly start a new thread using this post for Zeke's Coffee? (4607 Harford Rd, owned by Thomas Rhodes, soon to open in DC)

Funny thing about coffee confusion... When I walked by a few weeks ago the signs in the window says "Counter Culture LLC". I took a pic because I thought it might be affiliated with Counter Culture Coffee. One of the people involved saw me, asked why I was taking a picture, I asked if they were opening a coffee shop and his reaction was something like, "you know, you're the XXth person to ask me that. We will serve coffee but its not a coffee shop." And that was pretty much the end of the conversation. He wouldn't tell me what the concept was but promised it was opening soon.

Well, seeing as the DC Zeke's is kaput and is now Thomas Foolery, this issue has self-resolved. :)

Indeed. And, the latest on Zeke's DC is that they'll be open by fall with a Rhode Island Ave. location already being retrofitted.  Not sure how best to handle that topic and dining guide wise? Two threads probably?  Multiple locations for an operator with just two locations?  One in Baltimore and in DC. Good thing the donut guys left Dupont or this could have gotten really confusling. Didn't love their donuts anyway. ;)

Indeed. And, the latest on Zeke's DC is that they'll be open by fall with a Rhode Island Ave. location already being retrofitted.  Not sure how best to handle that topic and dining guide wise? Two threads probably?  Multiple locations for an operator with just two locations?  One in Baltimore and in DC. Good thing the donut guys left Dupont or this could have gotten really confusling. Didn't love their donuts anyway. ;)

[We have a few cases of Baltimore outlets being in the Baltimore guide, and the corresponding DC outlets being in the DC guide, with separate threads for each. I haven't checked, but I suspect Attman's is one example. That said, we could sure use a Baltimore resident to spruce up the Baltimore dining guide, hint, hint.]