100 Montaditos, Spanish Sandwich and Tapas Chain at The Yards - Filed For Chapter 11 Bankruptcy

According to Jessica Sidman in the City Paper, 100 Montaditos is now open. The menu (PDF) looks like it might be interesting to try, though no need to take my vegan girlfriend!

Just because I got a bit bored, looks like it'd be $167.50 before tax to order each of the 100 montaditos. Someone out there will do it...will it be you?! (Though, that would get a bit boring as many are just slightly different: X, X w/Y, X w/Y&Z...)

According to Jessica Sidman in the City Paper, 100 Montaditos is now open. The menu (PDF) looks like it might be interesting to try, though no need to take my vegan girlfriend!

Just because I got a bit bored, looks like it'd be $167.50 before tax to order each of the 100 montaditos. Someone out there will do it...will it be you?! (Though, that would get a bit boring as many are just slightly different: X, X w/Y, X w/Y&Z...)

Ahh, Matthew, my stern but misguided master.  You overlooked a key point.

Several of the sandwiches can be bought in a platter, 6 for $8, thus reducing their price.  And then two platters can be bought for $14.

This reduces the price to $159.50.

And on Wednesday, the $1 deal brings the price all the way down to $100.00

You best bring your 'A' game around here.

Went for lunch with the Mrs., got the "2 Platter" special - 6 montaditos each for $14. ("Top 6" and "Meat Lover".) General impressions: not bad. There's a deceptively large amount of (quality) bread - it's just that they're broken up into teeny-tiny servings that sneak past you.

[sidebar: what it is about human psychology that makes us think tiny food is basically adorable? I have early memories of snarking unopened tiny ketchup bottles from the rare occasion my family stayed in a hotel. Not for eating - for cuteness!]

One problem with a vast number of choices is that even with the aid of photography, I can barely recall what I had yesterday. Most things were "fine" - what we did think stood out were a shredded pork barbecue with a touch of sweetness; a jamon y queso type thing; a meatball slider. Tortillas espanola was cold and soggy, disappointing. There was a turkey and tomato, why bother. Patatas bravas are just french fries with aioli, ketchup, and a cocktail sauce.

The kitchen struggled a little to get things out - not really bad, but I expect they're not happy with the turnaround at lunch. The staff kept checking in with us, though, so that helped. There seemed to be a good sized crowd at lunchtime on a Monday. Plenty of promise here.

It will be interesting to see how they do - there's a bunch of places in the same 2-3 blocks trying to occupy the space between full-service and fast casual (Panas, Nando's, Cava, Le Pain Quotidien for starters.)

The odd thing about that is it appears that they divided up the 100 by the number of people testing, so each those ratings comes from one tester each.  That makes some of the results bizarre (e.g., one tuna sandwich ranked among the highest and another, which had the same ingredients except for lettuce, ranked among the lowest).  Maybe they explained the process in detail somewhere and I missed it, but it looked to be pretty lacking in rigor.

The odd thing about that is it appears that they divided up the 100 by the number of people testing, so each those ratings comes from one tester each.  That makes some of the results bizarre (e.g., one tuna sandwich ranked among the highest and another, which had the same ingredients except for lettuce, ranked among the lowest).  Maybe they explained the process in detail somewhere and I missed it, but it looked to be pretty lacking in rigor.

It was amusing that the tuna was in both the best and worst sections.  Bottom line with that place is that there truly is something for everyone with 100 choices being present.

I enjoyed the Post article, found it funny, noticed both the testing methodology and and the strange results that included tuna sandwiches being both highly and poorly rated.   I always find it daunting to deal with a menu with umpteen choices and as a result hadn't stopped at a 100 Montaditos.  Now I will with my first trials to be those sandwiches highly rated by the Post team;  (I'll probably skip tuna regardless of rating.  ;)

If nothing else it was an entertaining article.

Behold the power of lettuce!

Bethesda closed. My father just walked past and saw notice up in the window. Apparently they want to move/open a new location in DC.

Amazing.  I was by there on Saturday and they were packed for the soccer game!