Hop Sing Laundromat, Speakeasy-Format Bar in Chinatown Featuring "Durgin Park" Service and $12 Cocktails

Fuck Hop Sing. I have never been more rudely treated anywhere, and this is a place that didn't allow my party in because the doorman said I was wearing sneakers.

Then he gave me the bird. For the record, I am wearing Mozo's Marcus Samuelsson shoes.

Drinks might well be great. Wouldn't know. Todd Thrasher, Gina Chersevani, Derek Brown, Jeff Faile, et al., would never DREAM of pulling a stunt like that.

Fuck those guys. Period.

Fuck Hop Sing. I have never been more rudely treated anywhere, and this is a place that didn't allow my party in because the doorman said I was wearing sneakers.

Then he gave me the bird. For the record, I am wearing Mozo's Marcus Samuelsson shoes.

Drinks might well be great. Wouldn't know. Todd Thrasher, Gina Chersevani, Derek Brown, Jeff Faile, et al., would never DREAM of pulling a stunt like that.

Fuck those guys. Period.

Well, that's one way to keep those damned Chinese-Americans out of Chinatown!

I wonder if this is may indeed be like Durgin Park In Boston, where tourists thought it was "cool" to go and be treated rudely. I haven't been there in fifteen years, and don't even know if it's still open, but I do remember a magazine ad featuring a black-and-white photo of a scowling, 50s-era waitress, arms akimbo, rolling pin in one hand, saying "Come Eat, Drink, and Be Yelled At!" It was completely embarrassing to see, but I guess that ("that" meaning the tourist trade) was their source of income for many years. I'm sorry you got treated so poorly, Richard.

[These paragraphs were copied from The Mother Thread as part of larger posts.

Use the Snapback Function (the little icon at the top-right of each entry) to view each post in its entirety.]

Hop Sing Laundromat - Also enjoyed it a ton. Drinks were fantastic, the service was wonderful (I like that they have a much bigger bar space than Franklin, allowing you to interact with the bartenders). The whole entrance concept is a bit contrived (ringing the bell, having them "interview" you about how you found out about the place, etc), but we really enjoyed our experience after that fact. I'm curious how well they're doing, however, There were about four other parties seated in a quite large space when we arrived.  When we left around 8:30 we were the only people in the whole place.

Hop Sing Laundromat is ridiculous by design.  It's a faux speakeasy that makes you wait outside for long periods of time, is cash only, is decorated like a gaudy library out of a Muppet movie, and the manager presents you with a monologue of do's and don'ts before you are even allowed to set foot inside.  The drinks are awesome though, and a relative bargain (all are $12) given the quality of spirits they are using.  El Dorado 15 rum is life changing.  I'd be annoyed as all hell if this was what I had to do to get a decent drink night in and night out, but as a tourist on a weekend?  Yeah, it might be worth it.