Right Proper Brewing Company, Shaw - Chef Matt Richardson and Brewmaster Nathan Zeender next to the Howard Theater

The time is nigh for Right Proper to open its doors in Shaw around the corner from the burgeoning row of eateries on 7th St.  City Paper has a write up on what to expect and when ("early December", permits pending).

Initial focus seems to be getting some standard regular beers on rotation using the new system, but it will be very interesting to see what Zeender comes up with once the place is operating on all cylinders.  "Farmhouse ales" fermented with brett and other funky strains of yeasts seem to be the next big thing on the microbrewing front, but it looks like he is really going to walk the walk (open fermentation in wooden vats, lots of barrel aging).  It's a bit of a gamble for a small storefront enterprise, but it could pay off handsomely. Lord knows he has the chops when it comes to funky, unusual beers.  This place should be a like a smaller Bluejacket, but even further out on the edge of normal brewpub offerings.

Very excited, I've been watching the build out with anticipation.  Oh, and growlers!  But "prefilled growlers" gives me pause.  Here's hoping you at least have the option to have one filled fresh from the tap.

• Like 1

Very excited, I've been watching the build out with anticipation.  Oh, and growlers!  But "prefilled growlers" gives me pause.  Here's hoping you at least have the option to have one filled fresh from the tap.

I'm no expert but I believe the biggest issue with growlers is the method in which they are filled, rather than how long it has been since they were filled.  If you get air in there, don't finish on foam, start with a dirty growler etc, you are going to have garbage even in an hour.  Seems like a pre-filled growler could allow them to focus in slower times and do it right.  But this is all speculation.

I'm no expert but I believe the biggest issue with growlers is the method in which they are filled, rather than how long it has been since they were filled.  If you get air in there, don't finish on foam, start with a dirty growler etc, you are going to have garbage even in an hour.  Seems like a pre-filled growler could allow them to focus in slower times and do it right.  But this is all speculation.  

This is very true, but even a properly filled growler using a nitrogen flush in a dedicated system will have a shelf life.  Here's hoping they will at least acknowledge the fill date.  Given the principals involved here I have no doubt that standards will be set very, very high.

This is very true, but even a properly filled growler using a nitrogen flush in a dedicated system will have a shelf life.  Here's hoping they will at least acknowledge the fill date.  Given the principals involved here I have no doubt that standards will be set very, very high.

I read your first two sentences, and was just about to click Reply and type exactly what I read in your third sentence. :)

Thor Cheston is a beer God.  This place will be doing things right from day #1.  Couldn't be more excited!

I have reason to believe that they will have a very good relationship with Mockingbird Hill/Eat the Rich/Southern Efficiency given that they are such close neighbors and there's a ton of mutual respect between everyone involved on all sides. :)

Having had a several-year-old Old Ale from Nick Funnell's (of Centreville Sweetwater fame) private stash, I can tell you that a properly filled growler is no different than buying a bottle.

Will I have to turn in my Old Dominion growler to get a pre-filled generic bottle though? Will there be a deposit that'll be returned? What if I can't get there often? Inquiring minds want to know...and anticipatory taste buds want to sample!

We dropped in to sample the line up and grab a bite right after they opened around 5:15.  We may have gotten the last table, it filled fast and was packed by 6:00.  The crowds started to filter out after an hour or so.

I'll start with the space: it's larger than meets the eye from the street.  The front is a double storefront open area with table seating in 2- and 4-tops pushed together in various configurations There is a TON of room to stand around in that area between tables, but nowhere to rest your drink. We all thought it wasn't being used very efficiently and frankly kind of weird; I would personally like to see some banquettes along the walls (but that would block the murals that feature so prominently).   The rest of the front "room" is taken up by a L-shaped bar and service bar.  The back narrows down since it also holds the brewery.  There is another long bar that fronts the glass enclosure looking into the brew kettles and separate barrel room.  More high top tables back there in a much more cramped environment, especially compared to the front room.

Now, the beers.  If you are reading this to see how the beers stack up, GO. Just go.  The beers being put out happen to align pretty well with my palate, but there is something for everybody to enjoy.  As expected everything make use of special yeast strains, and that mostly shines through in the end product:

Ornette (grissette, <4% ABV, 12 oz.):  Funky, light in body and color, just lets the yeasts speak for themselves.  And they sing!  I could drink this all night, even in the dead of winter

The Duke (strong golden ale, ~7%, 12 oz.): Very good Belgian ale.  A bit malt-forward, but you certainly notice the balance with a bit of funkiness at the end

Raised By Wolves (IPA, ~5%, 16 or 22 oz.): This was just awesome.  Has your typical double or Imperial IPA hop notes right off the bat (grapefruit, pine, not too resin-y, though) with a rich mouth feel, but clocks in at a way lower ABV.  Finishes like a nice pale ale.

Being There (kellerbier, ~6%, 16 or 22 oz):  On first taste I thought this was like the grissette, but turned up a few notches.  Tart, funky, but with a firmer malt backbone.  I need to go back and taste this one on it's own (and not as the 3rd or 4th of the night).

They had two collaboration beers on tap:

One with Lost Rhino, I forget the name (wee heavy, 10%, 12 oz.): Brewed with oats and honey.  Seemed fairly light-bodied for a wee heavy (as light at 10% will get you).  You really got the honey characteristics in the nose.  It's a ,must try while they still have it available.

Bete Noire (DC Brau, 8%, 12 oz):  This was pretty good, but didn't knock my socks off.  Probably because it seemed like another version of the Penn Quarter Porter.

Across the board it's an incredibly strong showing.  I couldn't help but compare it to my one trip so far to Bluejacket.  There you have the option of 12-16 beers, but even going the 4 oz tasting route I felt like it was maybe half that made me say "Wow!", another couple that were good to very good, and then a few that I enjoyed but probably wouldn't return to.

The best part?  The prices.  Holy crap!  The house beers are all priced at or under $6 (12 oz = $4, 16 = $5, 22 = $6).  You'll pay that for a bottle of Miller Lite down the block!  I asked but did not get an answer on how much growler fills will be. They have some very nice swing tops for $18 just for the container (32 and 64 oz.), but I assume you will be able to bring in your own.

Now for some gripes:

- Service was a little off, probably to be expected on their first night open.  Lots of things delivered to our table by mistake, a couple beers we didn't order had to be taken off of the final tab, food slow coming out of the kitchen.  Thor was up and about working the room.  I get a sense that it will take them some time to settle in

- 12 oz. beers were just served in wine stems.  It's a little thing, and I'm hoping this was just temporary since the pints and 22 oz. glasses were very nice, custom Right Proper logos and all (tagline: "Made in Shaw")

- The food:  I'll admit it wasn't the focus of our visit, but we did sample a few things from the kitchen and didn't come away impressed.  It's mostly snacks and plates for sharing with 4 sandwiches ($7-12) and a couple entrees.  I wasn't overwhelmed by anything we ate.  I had the lamb French Dip ($12) which seemed to me more of a panini.  The jus featured red wine prominently and was by far the best part.  A friend had the Southern Fried Chick-Filet (get it?!), which was the best thing we had.  A big hunk of nicely fried chicken, but on a somewhat disappointing brioche bun.  Two tables near us asked what it was and ordered it; I would get this again.  A cup of corn and crab chowder was just OK.  A basket of fries was over salted, and a kale a bacon side dish was a little too vinegar-y.  Mostly everything came with house made pickled items which were great, though! There were some heartier items on the menu that we didn't try and may stand up better to the stated focus of the kitchen.

Even with the mis-steps Right Proper is a must visit for anybody with a passing interest in beer in this city.

• Like 3

Headed over to Right Proper for lunch today.  Overall, I really liked it.  The beers are really good - I had the Range Life (a hop-focused wheat beer - light enough for summer but with enough hoppy bite to make it interesting) and the Raised by Wolves (described above and very good).  I like that they have some "guest beers" in case the house-made selections aren't to one's liking (though that's hard to imagine - plenty of variety).  We sat at the cheese counter, since the larger bar in the back was closed until dinnertime, and service was fine.  We had blistered shisito peppers to start (am I crazy, or are these showing up everywhere now?), then a nice cheese board, then the lamb french dip and the southern chick-filet sandwich.  Both sandwiches were very tasty, but my ultimate vote goes to the chicken - it was really well fried and seasoned.  I agree that the lamb is more of a panini - which is not bad, but not really as advertised.  Fries were meh (undersalted) but potato salad was quite good, though I think the upcharge for both ($3) is steep when the sandwiches are already $11-$14.  I'd definitely go back, though!  Lots of bike parking out front.

Headed over to Right Proper for lunch today.  Overall, I really liked it.  The beers are really good - I had the Range Life (a hop-focused wheat beer - light enough for summer but with enough hoppy bite to make it interesting) and the Raised by Wolves (described above and very good).  I like that they have some "guest beers" in case the house-made selections aren't to one's liking (though that's hard to imagine - plenty of variety).  We sat at the cheese counter, since the larger bar in the back was closed until dinnertime, and service was fine.  We had blistered shisito peppers to start (am I crazy, or are these showing up everywhere now?), then a nice cheese board, then the lamb french dip and the southern chick-filet sandwich.  Both sandwiches were very tasty, but my ultimate vote goes to the chicken - it was really well fried and seasoned.  I agree that the lamb is more of a panini - which is not bad, but not really as advertised.  Fries were meh (undersalted) but potato salad was quite good, though I think the upcharge for both ($3) is steep when the sandwiches are already $11-$14.  I'd definitely go back, though!  Lots of bike parking out front.

Greg Engert gets all the publicity in town (and Greg's publicity is well-justified), but Thor wears the crown as the Father Of Washington, DC Beer for the work he did at the Georgetown Pizzeria Paradiso. Right Proper Brewing Company is a wonderful place to be, and Thor deserves every ounce of success he gets.

Do not forget Thor's compatriots: Head Brewer Nathan Zeender and Rocklands Barbecue and Grilling Company Owner John Sneeden.

This sounds like an interesting spot I need to check out but replying here on two trends.

First, on shishito peppers, Yes! I first noticed them at Estadio maybe 2 years ago but, in the past year, they've seemed pretty ubiquitous.

Second, brew pubs. Obvious point but on a national scale, well represented here, these seem like a huge boom with thousands now operating in the country. Will be interesting to see how this evolves. All fun for us!

Met up with my brother at Right Proper for a couple of beers last night.  Tuesday after work things were pretty chill and we grabbed a couple seats at the bar.  We enjoyed the Haxan (Robust Porter 7% abv) which was a nice smooth porter, without the heavy chocolate/coffee notes that some modern day porters are brewed to, as well as the No Depression (Country Alt 5.5 abv) which fits nicely for people who are looking for a beer which is not overly hoppy.

A lot of beers on the menu right now have fruit description notes, grapefruit, apricot, lime, coconut, which isn't really my thing.  I still haven't had a Right Proper beer that I truly love, but I'd be happy to drink the Haxan again.

Weirdly I really like the glassware they use for the Haxan and No Depression...and I always enjoy the space (when it's not packed).  Perhaps midweek drinking at Right Proper should be my new thing!   

A lot of beers on the menu right now have fruit description notes, grapefruit, apricot, lime, coconut, which isn't really my thing. 

I'm not much into fruit beers either, but I have to say that actual citrus-derived notes in a non-hop-bomb IPA can be very good. For example, Stone's Stochasticity Project Grapefruit Slam (unfortunately retired) or Flying Dog's Bloodline.

• Like 1