DonRocks

I was in Whole Foods today, and picked up a bag of organic Valencia Oranges. I figured these originated in California, and I was right; but I didn't know that the town of Valencia, California was named after the orange! (The orange was originally named after Valencia, Spain, known for its orange trees which originated in India.)

These would be perfect juicing oranges, but I love eating them whole. The number of seeds is quite manageable - just a few per orange - and the biggest problem is that there's so much juice, that it just goes everywhere. They're not *the* easiest oranges to peel, but I've encountered tougher foes.

I was in Whole Foods today, and picked up a bag of organic Valencia Oranges. I figured these originated in California, and I was right; but I didn't know that the town of Valencia, California was named after the orange! (The orange was originally named after Valencia, Spain, known for its orange trees which originated in India.)

These would be perfect juicing oranges, but I love eating them whole. The number of seeds is quite manageable - just a few per orange - and the biggest problem is that there's so much juice, that it just goes everywhere. They're not *the* easiest oranges to peel, but I've encountered tougher foes.

So these are just to last you until your delivery comes in next month? B)

I'm glad to hear 'tis the season for real juicing oranges (unlike the ubiquitous Navel variety -- not nearly so great for juicing, but good for eating) because I neeed fresh orange juice for a number of recipes.  Normally one would need about twice as many navels as valencias to obtain the same amount of juice.  And there's nothing wrong with eating the valencias as Don notes.  [Note to self: freeze some fresh juice for later in the year]

I have a vague, Florida-childhood recollection of a commercial that used to come on Saturday morning TV advertising 100% Valencia juice.  I always assumed they were for juicing.  Maybe I've been missing out.