Sriracha - Hot Sauce Manufactured by Huy Fong Foods Based in Rosemead, CA

DonRocks

I like Sriracha, but it is one of the most overrated hot sauces in America (behind Tabasco, perhaps a few others). How overrated is it? Consider that I'll probably get beheaded for saying this (please re-read the first three words of this post before placing me in the guillotine).

"Foodbeast Discovers What The Sriracha Factory Actually Looks Like Inside ...." by Peter Pham on foodbeast.com

As for me, I don't like Sriracha or Tabasco (classic flavor). Never really have. *shrug*

Up until five years ago, it was considered a throwaway, mass-produced product; now, it's "cool" among chefs - Sriracha is to hot sauce what bacon is to pork (the base unit of trading pork-belly futures on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange was 40,000 pounds, before trading of that commodity was discontinued in 2011 - that was *one unit*). Tasty, yes; special, no.

Every brand that is not from Thailand is technically a "knockoff" brand. Shark (strong) is the best of the brands easily available around here. I go through a large bottle every two months or so, mostly for eggs. Rooster is unbalanced and made with garlic powder instead of fresh garlic and contains preservatives. I probably posted this before: http://foodists.ca/2013/03/15/the-truth-about-sriracha.html  Also, AFAIK they don't use Siracha sauce with Pho in Vietnam.

Here's a locally made competitor.  I think it's a little sweet as an everyday hot sauce, and I probably wouldn't use it in my pho, but it definitely has its fans.

KIMKIM Korean Hot Sauce

I don't know how big the production is now, but was definitely a handmade, hand bottled sauce when he began.

And the WaPo Food section finds more inspiration on DonRockwell.com

KimKim sauce: From a Korean kitchen to trendy restaurants and stores

I went to high school with the girl whose family owned the company, so I always loved sriricha and had a soft spot for it

Well, then you would have loved the Penang Chicken I had tonight because there was an undeniable hint (just a hint) of Sriracha in it.

Time to start the hoarding: Sriracha hot sauce factory smell deemed a public nuisance by Irwindale

From the Pasadena Star News article:

The popular Sriracha hot sauce found itself in hot water Wednesday night when the City Council unanimously declared the factory that produces the sauce a public nuisance.  After giving Huy Fong Foods six weeks to work with the South Coast Air Quality Management District to conduct testing at the factory, the City Council determined the odor coming from the factory has created a problem for residents. The council also determined the Sriracha factory breached its contract with the city.  The Council is expected to give Huy Fong Foods 90 days to address the odor problems before city officials enter the factory to fix the problems themselves.

Source: Grub Street New York

a_250x375.jpg
On sale now, sort of.

These are tough times for America's most famous Sriracha. While Huy Fong founder David Tran "” the guy who makes the green-capped, rooster-emblazoned bottle you see everywhere "” continues his long municipal headache in Irwindale, California, his competitors are looking to strike with their own versions. The latest, and perhaps most threatening, is Tabasco. In fact, the hot-sauce giant has already launched its brand of Sriracha, but for some reason, the company appears to be keeping it a secret.

You might think that a major product launch like this would normally be accompanied by a ...

Read full article >>

The New York Daily News taste test.

On 2/1/2024 at 1:14 PM, DonRocks said:

In case anyone is looking for Huy Fong Sriracha (there was a big shortage awhile back), they have cases of it at the Falls Church (Seven Corners) New Grand Mart location.

I don't think there is a shortage anymore, I've seen bottles in lots of places including non-Asian grocery stores. I recently replaced by very old bottle with a new one from Streets.

• Thanks 1