The Academy Awards (1929-) - Hosted by the Dolby Theater in Hollywood Since 2002

DonRocks

Given that I've seen one film eligible, and know virtually nothing, would people please chime in and discuss the awards here? I promise you that this thread will have a lovingly curated, permanent home, and I would be extremely interested in what you have to say.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say that if you mention a film, an actor or actress, a director, a score, or whatever, I'll be very likely to see it just based on your discussion.

Thanks in advance, and I hope you all can help me out here because I know zippo, and I want to learn.

So far I think the awards have been going to the right people. Jared Leto was amazing in Dallas Buyers Club, as was Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave. Also, they are both incredibly attractive people who gave wonderful speeches.

Have you seen all the nominees in the categories? ....

Haha. This year I was fortunate enough to see all of the films nominated for best picture except Gravity and The Wolf of Wall Street. I really had no desire to see those two.

I watched Blue Jasmine today because Cate Blanchette is favored for best actress for it. I didn't like the film, but her performance was good.

Nebraska and Philomena were two films I didn't expect to like very much and wound up enjoying a lot.

felt like the awards went to the right people and films, and there were some heartfelt speeches (Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, Steve McQueen) but ultimately the show was a snooze  Kudos to the pizza company that took the bait Ellen left and showed up to the awards with pizza. They just got a ton of free publicity.  

Of the Best Picture nominees that I've seen so far, they've been plagued by an unrewatchability factor.  Gravity was a spectacle in 3-D on a huge screen, but I can't imagine watching it on even the biggest TV in my living room.  12 Years a Slave is an important story, but seeing it once is probably enough.  It'll stay with you.  American Hustle was amusing, but doesn't belong on any greatest of all time lists.  Even with Christian Bale who has been my favorite actor since American Psycho.  David O Russell and Jennifer Lawrence are shaping up to be an amazing team, though.  I'm glad they both realize it and will keep working together.  Captain Phillips was all about the tension, even with it being a true story, but once you see how Tom Hanks handles the final 10 minutes or so you lose that tension for future showings.

I haven't seen Her, Philomena, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, or Wolf of Wall Street...and I'd bet that they will hold up better over time.  Although the word on Dallas Buyers Club seemed to be two great performances in an overall average movie.

The only category that is consistently good year after year for me is the Animated shorts.  If you get a chance to see Disney's Get A Horse in 3-D, or even in 2-D, it really is a gem,

Is anyone watching the Academy Awards tonight? In recent years, I had seen the majority of nominated films. This year, I have seen just two.

What does everyone think about this year's nominees? I think The Revenant scored the most nominations, followed by the Mad Max movie. Neither of these films appealed to me. Are they worth seeing?

This year, I am here for the fashion.

Is anyone watching the Academy Awards tonight? In recent years, I had seen the majority of nominated films. This year, I have seen just two.

What does everyone think about this year's nominees? I think The Revenant scored the most nominations, followed by the Mad Max movie. Neither of these films appealed to me. Are they worth seeing?

This year, I am here for the fashion.

I'm not watching them tonight, but earlier today I did find out that only one Oscar has gone to someone named Oscar.

• Like 1

I'm watching, but my movie watching (especially in theaters but at home, too) has dropped off precipitously since my daughter arrived in 2014. I haven't seen any of the best picture nominees. In fact, I think the only movie I saw that's been nominated for anything is "The Hateful Eight," which I quite enjoyed, although I didn't think Jennifer Jason Leigh's performance was anything special (she was nominated for best supporting actress and lost). I still like watching the awards, though, I guess for the spectacle and the pop culture. I look forward to when I can watch movies with regularity again because I do love them.

I've seen bits and pieces of "Mad Max: Fury Road" on cable, and although I know a lot of people thought it was a really good film, it's sooooo not my cup of tea. Just based on the bits and pieces I've seen I know there's no way I could sit through the whole thing -- and I'll force myself to watch certain films that aren't my cup of tea if they're culturally important (like westerns), but with this one there's no way. Life is too short.

Brie Larson was excellent in "Room," so I was happy to see her win. She is from the Sacramento area, so she is a local favorite where I live. She seems down to earth, and her acceptance speech reinforced that perception. I can't say whether or not she deserved it, because I didn't see any of the performances by the other best actress nominees.

"Room" is a good film, although the subject matter can be difficult to watch. I read the book years ago, and the movie stays true to the novel.

I loved Fury Road... it is an absolute spectacle of sight and sound coupled with a ton of basically mindless violence. In my opinion it is the best action movie ever made- best seen on the big screen with the sound turned up to 11. The Oscars it won were all in the "technical" categories as opposed to the "artistic" and it was well deserving of those. I wouldn't lobby for it as a meaningful expression of complex human emotion but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the ride.  This type of escapism is what I want in film... I have enough ponderously heavy things to contemplate in real life.  YMMV. 

"Room" is one of those movies that I want to see and I don't want to see at the same time. I'm sure I'll see it eventually, when I'm ready to have my gut wrenched. Or maybe I'd be better off just reading the book.

"Room" is a rare instance where I preferred the film to the book. The book is written from the perspective of the six year old, and he and his Ma share their own special language. When I read the book, I grew tired of the way he spoke. This isn't the case with the movie.

The acting by everyone in this film, particularly the two leads, is outstanding. But, yes, watching it is gut-wrenching.

I loved Fury Road... it is an absolute spectacle of sight and sound coupled with a ton of basically mindless violence. In my opinion it is the best action movie ever made- best seen on the big screen with the sound turned up to 11. The Oscars it won were all in the "technical" categories as opposed to the "artistic" and it was well deserving of those. I wouldn't lobby for it as a meaningful expression of complex human emotion but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying the ride. This type of escapism is what I want in film... I have enough ponderously heavy things to contemplate in real life. YMMV.

These types of films usually put me to sleep. The more car chases and explosions, the heavier my eyelids become!

• Like 1