Corner Bakery Cafe, A Texas Bakery Chain Owned by CBC Restaurant Corporation

I had half of a ham and cheese panini here (well, Gaithersburg actually) today.

Note that I only had half.

My stomach still feels as if I swallowed a brick coated with PopRocks.

At least the pickle spear was good.

I have given that location a number of chances while stuck running errands with the kids and the verdict is that Corner Bakery stinks. The bread is bad, the coffee is bad, the sandwiches are greasy and bad, the cookies are big and tasteless, the salads are bland...even the brownies are bad, and it takes special skills to make chocolate, flour, butter and sugar suck so badly.

I don't know where this chain came from, but I wish wherever it was would take them back.

I have given that location a number of chances while stuck running errands with the kids and the verdict is that Corner Bakery stinks. The bread is bad, the coffee is bad, the sandwiches are greasy and bad, the cookies are big and tasteless, the salads are bland...even the brownies are bad, and it takes special skills to make chocolate, flour, butter and sugar suck so badly.

I don't know where this chain came from, but I wish wherever it was would take them back.

Didn't it start as a part of Maggiano's?

Call me senile, but I'm almost certain this place wasn't that bad when it first came to Tysons Corner back in the mid-90s, or whenever it was.

I'm not vouching for your mental acuity or lack thereof laugh.gif , but you're right to say that this place wasn't that bad ten years ago -- I believe it started in Chicago and it was one of my go-to sandwich places when I lived there. But the past five years or so have not been kind to this chain...

Have you seen the pasta portions? HUGE. Alarmingly so. Parking at Corner Bakery is a chore too.

In terms of the sandwich chain options out here by Tysons, I greatly prefer Panera. The Au Bon Pain on International Drive is incredibly bad, but I still go there for a sodium fix.

I think they are still part of Maggiano's as they are connected to the restaurant in Chevy Chase and Tysons

Corner Bakery (CB) is currently owned by CBC, and Maggiano's Little Italy (MIL) is currently owned by Lettuce Entertain You (LEY). CB was created by LEY, but was sold to Brinker in 1995 when Brinker and LEY set up a joint venture deal. Brinker sold it off to an equity group last year (which then named itself CBC--get it). MIL was, I think, created by Brinker, which then, as part of the joint venture, passed it on to LEY. Got that straight?

So tho CB and MLI are not now connected, they once were, which probably explains the observations noted in previous posts.

Ahh the restaurant business.................. So much going on behind the scenes. More than you ever wanted to know.

I've lost far too many brain cells between 2006 & now, because I had completely forgotten my hatred of Corner Bakery and bought lunch from them today. Take a guess at what I thought of my sandwich... blink.gif

Poblano Fresco on Poblano Cheese Bread - Roasted red peppers, avocado, white cheddar cheese, crisp jicama slaw, lettuce, and spicy chipotle lime mayo. (Vegetarian with No Meat)

Add all-natural roasted chicken or roast beef - $1.00.

Yes, it sucked! Bland dry poblano cheese bread (that right there oughta be a crime) with a few skimpy pieces of chicken, two wafer thin slices of what might have been cheddar, lettuce, and a couple of slices of jarred roasted red pepper. I didn't detect much of the chipotle-lime mayo and certainly no "jicama slaw." This and a bottle of water set me back $10 and change. What a f*cking ripoff.

ETA: forgot to mention the stale bag of chips

Just had Caesar salad at The Corner Bakery (multiple locations--no thread).   Possibly the worst Caesar salad I've ever had.  Scratch that one off the list.

OTOH: as there is no thread on this chain I do enjoy some of their breakfast choices...and not sure if its on the list...but it does offer free wi-fi,

I think they are still part of Maggiano's as they are connected to the restaurant in Chevy Chase and Tysons

Here's their restaurant history as written on their website:

1991 "“ Founded by Chicago's Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises (LEYE)

1995 "“ Purchased by Brinker International

2006 "“ Purchased by Il Fornaio and private equity investment firm Bruckman, Rosser, Sherrill & Co. LLC

2007 "“ Brand begins aggressive franchise strategy that brings new ownership partners to individual stores and markets

2011 "“ Purchased by Roark Capital Group, an Atlanta-based private equity firm

Roark Capital Group was named after Howard Roark, the leading character in Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead.

From Roark's website:

"Roark Capital Group's investment style and business philosophy is meant to emulate the life of Howard Roark. "

Their portfolio includes Arby's, Atkins Nutritionals, CKE Restaurants (Carl's, Jr., Hardee's), Auntie Anne's, Corner Bakery Cafe, Focus Brands (Carvel, Cinnabon, Moe's Southwest Grill, Schlotzsky's), Il Fornaio, McAlister's Deli, Miller's Ale House, Seattle's Best Coffee, and Wingstop.

Apparently I am an outlier, but I like Corner Bakery. Granted, I pretty much never get the sandwiches, and it sounds like that's some of what people haven't liked?

My go-to is the:

Spinach Sweet Crisp Salad

Baby spinach tossed with freshly sliced strawberries, oranges, red grapes, dried cranberries, green onions, creamy goat cheese and raisin pecan sweet crisps, drizzled with our homemade pomegranate vinaigrette.

In my experience the spinach has been fresh, as has the fruit. And I'm a sucker for the raisin pecan sweet crisps crumbled on top like croutons. It's not overdressed, and is a relatively healthy mix of spinach and fruit.

I also like the cookies! I rarely indulge in a full dessert, but at the 19th and L location they frequently have a tray with free little cookies out and I snag one on the way out the door.

• Like 1

Their baked goods are good. I like the lemon bar in particular. The sandwiches are really, really salty. When I get a meal there, my go-to is the Salad Trio. Forgot to mention the oatmeal, not bad at all. Coffee is ok, not the best, probably on par with Panera but I like CB much better overall. Panera's baked goods never fail to live up to expectations (one exception, that Danish ring thingy).

I rather like their breakfasts--the All american scrambler with a side of avocado is quite lovely. The tyson's galleria location offers very generous portions.

I don't partake in breakfasts out during the workweek often, but when I was pregnant and had early a.m. doctor's appointments my +1 and I would hit up Corner Bakery for a quick breakfast afterwads. Anaheim scrambler with egg whites, wheat toast, and breakfast potatoes (or fruit). Yum.

There a CB right next to my office building, so I eat here more than i care to admit. Actually, the real reason for that is they sent out an online order code (46) at one time for free soup, and they've never invalidated it, so I get a free soup every time I online order from there. That said, I think their food is actually quite good. I get their panini (which unfortunately ranges in quality level from day to day), the salad trio, chicken pesto sandwich (both always solid and tasty), pesto cavatappi (I'm a sucker for low-quality cheesy sauces, and they don't skimp), and all of their soups are good tho I'd highlight the lemon chicken orzo. Soups come with a small roll and sandwiches come with chips and a pickle. What's disappointing is that they've gotten rid of some quality items (e.g. the meatball panini), and strangely, you can't order their hot toasted subs online (which makes no sense since you can order everything else). Also, check your bag cause they always forget those free sides. Service is pretty terrible, in fact.