What floors me is walking through memory lane in this thread, especially the first page of items from not so long ago, compared to the current distilled spirits frenzy.  For instance, consider this post, which refers to Pappy Van Winkle 20:

Anyone have the Bookers 25 yet?  I found the last bottle on the shelf of my local ABC today, and will probably crack it open and start a thread this weekend.  Just curious if anyone else has tried it yet. Thanks for reviving the Whiskey thread, btw, I didn't even know it existed.  Makes for a better place to have bourbon conversations, with the other threads related to particular bottles.

From the press release:

"The original Booker's Bourbon, a cask-strength spirit with a proof that usually ranges from 120 to 130, is normally aged for six to eight years. The special-edition batch is over 10 years old, giving the product some extra characteristics and making it a fitting tribute to an important character in the Bourbon industry."

Anyone have the Bookers 25 yet?  I found the last bottle on the shelf of my local ABC today, and will probably crack it open and start a thread this weekend.  Just curious if anyone else has tried it yet. Thanks for reviving the Whiskey thread, btw, I didn't even know it existed.  Makes for a better place to have bourbon conversations, with the other threads related to particular bottles.

From the press release:

"The original Booker's Bourbon, a cask-strength spirit with a proof that usually ranges from 120 to 130, is normally aged for six to eight years. The special-edition batch is over 10 years old, giving the product some extra characteristics and making it a fitting tribute to an important character in the Bourbon industry."

Saw it in my local ABC, but didn't pull the trigger for the $100. Should I have?

Saw it in my local ABC, but didn't pull the trigger for the $100. Should I have?

The two "premium" bourbons I've bought and tasted this past year have both been very worth it, I think.  One was the Four Roses 125th Anniversary ($80) and the other Parker's Heritage Promise of Hope 13th edition ($100).  I'm hoping that the Bookers 25 joins this club.  I know a few of the year's premium releases have been met with less enthusiasm from the bourbon community, such as the second release of Jefferson Aged at Sea ($80) and Old Bloward ($150?) from the orphan barrel project.  But I've been drinking Bookers since I began drinking bourbon, so I felt this was a premium bottling worth trying.  Planning on drinking it Saturday night with some friends, so hopefully I'll have some notes if it's still on the shelf for you Monday.

Had the Bookers 25 this past weekend.  And if you have the money to buy a bottle for $100, I think it's a worthy addition to a home bar.  I think bourbon fans who have had the Four Roses 125th  and PVW 23 will always compare premium bourbons to those two.  This really isn't the same, having almost 40 more points on the proof.  Now, for a higher proof bourbon, it is still very flavorful and easy to drink. We had some neat, then added a bit of water, and it really opened up once it had the water in it. It has strong molasses/toffee tastes along with the usual vanilla and coffee that the regular bottling has.  It's a not an everyday drinker, but I think with 12 pours in the bottle you'll feel like you got your monies worth.  At a bar, I'd expect to pay $25 for a 2 oz pour, which helped make my buying decision a little easier, drinkers' math.

• Like 1

Had the Bookers 25 this past weekend.  And if you have the money to buy a bottle for $100, I think it's a worthy addition to a home bar.  I think bourbon fans who have had the Four Roses 125th  and PVW 23 will always compare premium bourbons to those two.  This really isn't the same, having almost 40 more points on the proof.  Now, for a higher proof bourbon, it is still very flavorful and easy to drink. We had some neat, then added a bit of water, and it really opened up once it had the water in it. It has strong molasses/toffee tastes along with the usual vanilla and coffee that the regular bottling has.  It's a not an everyday drinker, but I think with 12 pours in the bottle you'll feel like you got your monies worth.  At a bar, I'd expect to pay $25 for a 2 oz pour, which helped make my buying decision a little easier, drinkers' math.

[Whenever I find some spare moments, I'll try to break up threads like "Whiskey" into more descriptive things such as this. If anyone notices any errors I've made in titling or tagging, please PM me and let me know so I can correct them. There will always be backwards links to the original thread by clicking on the "snapback" arrow in the quoted post (top-right corner of ol_ironstomach's quoted post up top, for example - I'll often quote a post to create a backwards link), and also forwards links to the current thread by noting them in the original thread (here, for example). One day, I dream of having everything indexed, but for now, it will remain just a dream. Or a dram. Needless to say, there's a lifetime of work to do here.]

• Like 1