Kirstens Cafe, Silver Spring - Closed.

Someone mentioned Kirsten's Cafe (at 16th and Georgia) to me the other day for good pastries, including some little seen items (in DC) like Paris-Brests. Never heard of this place.

I've been to Kirsten's a few times, and it's been consistently excellent. The food is rock-solid but also a little creative and fun. Great, fresh-tasting salads (try the chunky egg-and-potato salad); good pastries and desserts; hearty sandwiches. Friendly counter service, too. It's a small space but very kid-friendly. (There's a kids' table that used to have a blackboard wall next to it, but I think the wall was down for renovation during my last visit.)

I really enjoy weekend breakfast at Kirsten's. They serve a good veggie omelet and excellent pancakes/French toast/Belgian waffles, with real maple syrup. It's a good place to take the Sunday paper and have a relaxed breakfast. A friendly staff, good prices, and relaxed atmosphere make it a regular on our Sunday breakfast rotation.

Um. Do you think she'd open an outpost in NoVA. Say in Clarendon. The corner of Wilson and Hudson would be nice. Cute place. Bet the chef/owner would get along with Michael Landrum:

"Owner/Chef Kirsten Shippey understands the value in today's world of professionally prepared, delicious entrées, appetizers, and baked goods that are reasonably price"

Must check it out this coming weekend.

Sadly, Kirsten's Cafe is now closed. I went by this afternoon to get a cup of coffee and was disappointed to see that it had closed. No reason was given. Their other restaurant (Red Dog Cafe) is still open.

It's a shame to lose such a good local source for pastries, coffee, etc. :P

Sadly, Kirsten's Cafe is now closed. I went by this afternoon to get a cup of coffee and was disappointed to see that it had closed. No reason was given. Their other restaurant (Red Dog Cafe) is still open.

It's a shame to lose such a good local source for pastries, coffee, etc. :P

I'm sorry to hear that. Funny thing, when we were driving home this evening I happened to note that the space looked dark...and I was pretty certain that I usually saw some sort of lighting inside. While I only at there once, I kept meaning to go back...but the shopping center is pretty much off the beaten path for me and not easily accessed.