Cheesetique, Owner Jill Erber's Fromagerie in Several Virginia Locations

mdt

Attended a Spanish cheese tasting class at Cheesetique over the weekend. The class started with a brief overview of the cheese making process followed by a tasting of 10 different cheeses. Other Spanish goodies (lomo and serrano hams, chorizo, marcona almonds, and membrillo -- quince paste) were on the plate to compliment the cheeses.

Cheeses in the tasting were a Nevat, Queso Tronchon, Mahon, Drunken Goat, Tetilla (shaped like the name), Garrotxa, Manchego with Rosemary, Raw Milk Manchego, Torta del Casar, and a Valdeon.

My favorites were the raw milk manchego and the torta del casar. The very creamy and earthy torta is a rare raw sheep milk cheese that is completely made by hand.

Overall a fun introduciton to Spanish cheeses and worth the $15.

And very well you should apologize for doing that Rocks!

Jill wasn't in when I stopped by, but I was ably assisted and walked out with some great dairy. Unfortunately, I don't get across the river a lot (I was there to do double damage by attending jparrot's tasting at Rick's).

Maybe she'll open a kiosk at Ray's Classic! :lol:

Jill from Cheesetique in DelRay posted on eG today, that she did indeed get her order for Castelmagno cheese. I'm looking forward to trying it out tommorow. Already scoping out rissoto recipes in anticipation.

I'm going to pair that with a visit to Planet Wine for a free wine tasting of Itatlian wine poured by the winemaker himself.

Have they started selling meat yet?  (An email was sent out a little while ago announcing that they were going to start selling meat from small farms).

They do have the meat, (fresh and not frozen :lol: ) in the small cooler to the left when you walk in the door. The last time I was in they had a good selection of beef and pork along with whole chickens. I do not remember the exact prices, but they were not out of line with Sunnyside at DuPont if I am recalling correctly.

I was in just yesterday and saw the meat cooler. For the life of me I can't remember what they had other an a pork tenderloin. Clearly that's what caught my eye. There were several other items as well.

I bought a Cypress Grove Chevre called "Purple Haze". It's made with lavender and fennel pollen. I can't wait to try it tomorrow evening.

Hi, All.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier - we did indeed receive our meats and let me just say - WOW! They are so amazing, my husband thinks he's the luckiest man in the world. Here's what we have now:

Pork: Tenderloin (coming soon: double chop)

Duck: Double Breast

Beef: Hanger Steak, Cowboy Ribeye (bone-in), New York Strip (boneless)

Chicken: Whole

Lamb: Loin (boneless). Rack (bone-in)

Other: Kobe beef hot dogs

All meats are hormone-free, antibiotic-free, and free range. If you need special cuts, let me know and I can get you almost anything within a day or two.

Also, if you have any recommendations for new cuts, let me know.

Jill

Got this info in an email from our favorite Cheese Lady and thought some of you might be interested.

Our Next Cheese Class: Stinky Cheeses

What more could you ask for? A whole evening of stinky cheeses! We will learn to savor the stink of some of the finest washed-rind and otherwise "fragrant" cheeses in the world. This is not for the faint of heart - or weak of nostril.

Available Dates:

Tuesday, August 16 at 7:00 PM

Thursday, August 18 at 7:00 PM

Sunday, August 21 at 6:00 PM

Please email tastings@cheesetique.com to sign up for the tasting. Please let me know the date you prefer and how many are in your party. The cost is only $15 per person. Act quickly - this will fill up in no time. Participants can expect to spend about an hour learning and tasting. Sparkling water and accompaniments will be served.

Got this info in an email from our favorite Cheese Lady and thought some of you might be interested.

Our Next Cheese Class: Stinky Cheeses

What more could you ask for? A whole evening of stinky cheeses! We will learn to savor the stink of some of the finest washed-rind and otherwise "fragrant" cheeses in the world. This is not for the faint of heart - or weak of nostril.

Available Dates:

Tuesday, August 16 at 7:00 PM

Thursday, August 18 at 7:00 PM

Sunday, August 21 at 6:00 PM

Please email tastings@cheesetique.com to sign up for the tasting. Please let me know the date you prefer and how many are in your party. The cost is only $15 per person. Act quickly - this will fill up in no time. Participants can expect to spend about an hour learning and tasting. Sparkling water and accompaniments will be served.

Based purely on the wonderful experience we had with a previous tasting with fellow DR.com'ers (as well as our love of stinky cheeses), my wife and I have RSVPd for the 16th. We can't wait to see what Jill has in store for us.

I'd like to have a cheese-related show on TV. I have it all formulated. I would travel to places, meet with chefs and show people how to cook with cheese, how to eat it. That would be so cool.

Paging the Fine Living Network. For a title, may I suggest: "Jill's Hot Cheese." Cause she is. Oops, I mean it is.

With my second location, I want to have an education center, a classroom and guest speakers. I want to bring in my chef friends and do food-oriented events and private parties.
Second location?? Where?

Still looking for that perfect spot. Once I find it, it only takes a couple months to open. But the location has to have the perfect chemistry. Any ideas? :P

Still looking for that perfect spot. Once I find it, it only takes a couple months to open. But the location has to have the perfect chemistry. Any ideas?  :P

If you would like a perspective on opening a business in Montgomery County, I suggest you confer with Michael Landrum at Ray's the Steaks. I'm sure he could provide you with more detail than you would care to hear about.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

Still looking for that perfect spot. Once I find it, it only takes a couple months to open. But the location has to have the perfect chemistry. Any ideas? smile.gif

Hi Jill

Thanks for pointing my wife towards some wonderful cheeses yesterday! I was just thinking what a killing you could make if you opened a store in DC proper. In NW people are crying out for good cheese sold by someone who is passionate about it.

Any spot off Wisc or CT avenues would be ideal, altho I don't know how much rents run for these places....

When you do open it, can I work there on weekends? :P

If you would like a perspective on opening a business in Montgomery County, I suggest you confer with Michael Landrum at Ray's the Steaks.  I'm sure he could provide you with more detail than you would care to hear about.

One saving thing for Jill would be that she doesn't have to deal with the Kommissariat of Potent Potables.

Construction -- well, that's a different matter.

I know the perfect space now that Polonez has gone out of business. But of course, they're probably tearing down that building to make room for another McChain.

I was just thinking what a killing you could make if you opened a store in DC proper. In NW people are crying out for good cheese sold by someone who is passionate about it.

Word. I am crying out for good cheese at this very moment. Come to the Red Line!

Word. I am crying out for good cheese at this very moment. Come to the Red Line!

All Wrapped Up in Woodley Park is closing its doors at the end of this month. Right across from the metro and a gormet cheese shop would be a way better option than a potential Subway or bridal shop, which are rumored potential tenants!

Jill:

They're all going to say "put one in my neighborhood, put one in my neighborhood." But since there already is one in my neighborhood, I'm going to stay out of it, other than to say use your business sense, study the demographics and the rent exposure when deciding where to locate. But you already knew that.

edited to add: adequate parking should be a factor, but you already knew that.

Edited by Jacques Gastreaux

You all are amazing - thank you for the recommendations. I am starting to look in earnest now and if I find that ideal spot, I'll let you all know the timeline. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support and ideas!

Regarding Cowgirl Creamery, the owners are definitely looking to set up shop in the region, specifically in Dupont. Trust me - there's room for all of us out there :P We have been communicating, so I will keep them posted and they will do the same with me regarding expansion plans. We should all count ourselves exceptionally lucky if they open around here. The more proponents of great cheese, the better!

All Wrapped Up in Woodley Park is closing its doors at the end of this month. Right across from the metro and a gormet cheese shop would be a way better option than a potential Subway or bridal shop, which are rumored potential tenants!

OT, but I'm surprised it stayed in business this long. The proprietress was a real sour-puss and I just couldn't bring myself to go in there and face that awful woman anymore, eventhough she had a very good card selection.

A really good cheese shop there would be GREAT!

Dear God,

You may think I'm just a useless panda, but you're wrong.

Please make the cheese lady open in Arlington near my house. I don't like that Village Bistro anymore, and I think the cheese lady logo would look really pretty with the maroon awning there. I'm very hungry and I don't ask for that much.

North Arlington. That's 22201. Amen.

Dear God,

You may think I'm just a useless panda, but you're wrong.

Please make the cheese lady open in Arlington near my house.  I don't like that Village Bistro anymore, and I think the cheese lady logo would look really pretty with the maroon awning there. I'm very hungry and I don't ask for that much.

North Arlington. That's 22201.  Amen.

Dear Panda,

If you eat cheese then you are not useless. You do not see that I love you? I have placed Arrowine right around the corner. You will see the light.

Next to the liquor store at Van Ness and Connecticut?

Used to be...I don't know, something stupid.  I can't tell if it's leased again or not.

Bad food--Passport or something.... Semi-decent Thai before that.

Has anything gone into the old Radio Shack spot right at the Van Ness Metro?

I suppose C-W would be a negative factor for our neck of the woods.

Sigh...

Jennifer

At the DuPont market on Sunday Sunnyside had whole flatiron primal cuts for those of you that would like to cut your own steaks.  From what they told me you need to split the cut lengthwise along a piece of connective tissue and then portion into steaks.  Looks like I may need to attend a butchering session at Ray's!  :lol:

More info at Ask the Meatman.

That's almost exactly what I have to do with the hangers I buy at Cheesetique. When you're ready to take the lesson at Ray's, let me know. I'm willing to serve as your faithful sidekick. (Of course that means you pay close attention to the job at hand, whilst I just sit back and drink heavily! :P )

Here is the info from a recent email.

Our Next Cheese Class: Sheep's Milk Cheeses

Time to focus on the elusive sheep's milk cheese! Believe it or not, many folks do not know that cheeses are made from sheep's milk. We will focus on some of the finest, from Sheep Brie to Pecorino to Manchego, and turn you all into sheep's cheese lovers! Baaaahhhh!!!!

Available Dates:

Thursday, September 8 at 7:00 PM

Sunday, September 11 at 6:00 PM

Tuesday, September 13 at 7:00 PM

Sunday, September 18 at 6:00 PM

Please email tastings@cheesetique.com to sign up for the tasting. Please let me know the date you prefer and how many are in your party. The cost is only $15 per person. Act quickly - this will fill up in no time. Participants can expect to spend about an hour learning and tasting. Sparkling water and accompaniments will be served

bump

stopped by Cheesetique yesterday with a $75 gift cert clutched in my sweaty palm - the moral hazard was killing me

ended up with a frankly amazing Brin D'Amour (note this bears no resemblance to the tiny dried out discs masquerading as Brin D'Amour at your local Whole Food) - not cheap but worth every mouthful of oozing buttery goodness

also bought some Fourme D'Ambert, Alderbrook, and another whose name currently escapes me but was good - a hard cheese, mild, grassy

also bought some Fourme D'Ambert, Alderbrook, and another whose name currently escapes me but was good - a hard cheese, mild, grassy

I think it was the Ossau Iraty - a new one for Cheesetique. It's a raw sheep's milk cheese from the Pyrenees in France. Mild tomme style... Glad you enjoyed the brin d'amour - I keep staring at it myself!

Exciting news from the Cheestique newsletter:

Let There Be Wine!

At long last, Cheesetique is now proud to offer a lovely selection of perfect wines to accompany your cheeses.

Our wine selection IS:

1. Hand-selected to pair perfectly with whatever style of cheese you select (look for our helpful notes)

2. Representative of smaller producers and/or burgeoning regions

3. Always changing

Our wine selection is NOT:

1. Meant to replace your regular wine shop

2. Representative of every nation, producer, and varietal on the planet

One final note: When you purchase wine, will ask for identification to confirm your age. Even if you look old enough to have invented wine. Please bear with us as we get our footing.

And most importantly... get in here an get your wine!

Too funny! I was just coming here to post this very thing! The wines are going wonderfully - fun to match to the cheeses.

Exciting news from the Cheestique newsletter:

Let There Be Wine!

At long last, Cheesetique is now proud to offer a lovely selection of perfect wines to accompany your cheeses.

Our wine selection IS:

1. Hand-selected to pair perfectly with whatever style of cheese you select (look for our helpful notes)

2. Representative of smaller producers and/or burgeoning regions

3. Always changing

Our wine selection is NOT:

1. Meant to replace your regular wine shop

2. Representative of every nation, producer, and varietal on the planet

One final note: When you purchase wine, will ask for identification to confirm your age. Even if you look old enough to have invented wine. Please bear with us as we get our footing.

And most importantly... get in here an get your wine!