Blue Crabs

jandres374

Looking to pick-up some live crabs this weekend to cook at the house - maybe 2 to 3 dozen.

Any good sources in the area (Bethesda) to pick some up. We used to get from Cameron's in Bethesda but they are gone.

There's a Cameron's in Rockville, too.

I would only go to Capt. Pell's if you would be truly inconvenienced going someplace else. We order from there about twice a year and always pay more than from other places for smaller crabs that aren't as good. We got them from the wharf 2 weeks ago. I think we paid about $165 for mediums but I would have pegged them as closer to large. Chock full o' meat, sweet and not watery. They skimped on the old bay but we got over it since we had our own. Capt. Pell's is ok in a crunch but my money is on the wharf. Plus they never stay warm when Pell's gives them to you in a cardboard box.

Thanks for the report. Maine Ave it'll be. Did you get them from Capt White's? Steamed to order?

I would only go to Capt. Pell's if you would be truly inconvenienced going someplace else. We order from there about twice a year and always pay more than from other places for smaller crabs that aren't as good. We got them from the wharf 2 weeks ago. I think we paid about $165 for mediums but I would have pegged them as closer to large. Chock full o' meat, sweet and not watery. They skimped on the old bay but we got over it since we had our own. Capt. Pell's is ok in a crunch but my money is on the wharf. Plus they never stay warm when Pell's gives them to you in a cardboard box.

In your opinion, is there a best day of the week for going to Captain White's? Or a worse one?

We're going to get a bushel or two this weekend since prices seem to have relaxed considerably this summer. Anybody have good or rotten luck recently with purveyors in the immediate DC area? By default we will head down to Maine Ave, but wanted to know of any other options I may be overlooking. Chesapeake crabs, steamed to order only.

In your opinion, is there a best day of the week for going to Captain White's? Or a worse one?

Thanks for the report. Maine Ave it'll be. Did you get them from Capt White's? Steamed to order?

For Maine Ave, Jessie Taylor is the best vendor for crabs, in my opinion. I am not a Capt White fan. If he's working, Clarence is the man to talk to at Jessie Taylors.

• Like 1

Capt White gets excellent Jumbos from Louisiana/Texas but they are truly expensive. If getting them to go, bring an ice chest to put the box in. They will stay warm for a couple of hours.

• Like 1

For Maine Ave, Jessie Taylor is the best vendor for crabs, in my opinion. I am not a Capt White fan. If he's working, Clarence is the man to talk to at Jessie Taylors.

Wow, brings back memories from my youth, going there with my dad.  I wonder if Clarence is the same Clarence from back in the day.

Capt White gets excellent Jumbos from Louisiana/Texas but they are truly expensive. If getting them to go, bring an ice chest to put the box in. They will stay warm for a couple of hours.

I misspoke. I meant Capt Pell get's excellent jumbos, but very expensive. As I mentioned in earlier post, I am not a Capt White fan at Maine ave. Jessie Taylors is my recommendation. Got very nice extra large from Clarence for $120 for 1/2 bushel this past weekend..

We will be in the Sherwood Forest (just outside Annapolis on Severn River) area this weekend visiting friends.  Never been in this area before but would like to pick up some crabs on Sunday to bring home for a little family feast.  Any recommended spots nearby for blue crabs?

Hmmm, there is a seafood shop on Aris T. Allen that we always get other seafood from.  I believe it is actually called the Annapolis Seafood Market.  But I have never gotten crabs from there as we normally go to a crab house to eat crabs because the mosquitoes in the back yard in Annapolis will eat you until you run screaming.  There is probably a better place or really a guy- the best crabs in Maryland always come from people who know a guy with a boat.  

This will be old news to some, but I just had Wonderful crabs at Mikes Crabhouse on Riva Rd, near Annapolis, for the 4th weekend in a row. Prices are reasonable, considering, and while I was able to get limited jumbos twice (@ $96/doz), the large crabs are very satisfying @ $70/doz. I live in Springfield and this is a 45-50 minute ride and very scenic if you use Central Ave instead of Rt. 50. Crabs are from Louisiana. Yesterdays jumbos were so nice, I could only eat 4 and was stuffed. And I am a serious crab eater.

Well, it's getting to be that time of year again.  We had wonderful steamed blue crabs at Cantler's (Annapolis) about a month ago, but there was over an hour wait to get seated.  I sat in the car slowly inching my way toward the parking lot, husband went ahead to put our name on the list, and after I was parked no place to sit, and we still waited.  I needed to use the restroom, waited in line for that, and right before I was able to go in, the toilets broke.  In both the ladies' and mens' rooms.  That said, the crabs were almost worth the experience.  Cantler's crabs are always extremely good.

Last weekend, we were in Ellicott City, MD,  to buy something at a vape store there, and I was looking for crab houses in the fly.  The guys in the vape shop recommended Sea King, which was only two blocks away.  Three stars on Yelp.  i haven't reviewed them, but would say the crab soup was meh, the steamed crabs very good, and the container of beautiful jumbo lump crab meat I bought to take home was spoiled when we got where we were going, which was about an hour away.  Not worth driving back for a refund.  Moral of the story, smell the container before you leave.

Even though we live very close to Captain Pell's, I don't like it much.  Can't put my finger on it.  The people are nice and all, plenty of room to park, never have to wait for a table, but the crabs are meh, most of the time.

So, where next?  Mikes in Annapolis?  Maine Avenue?  Quarterdeck?  We live in Fairfax, willing to drive an hour or so.

• Like 1

There is a huge loss of quality when crabmeat is frozen, in my opinion. You shouldn't have to buy frozen this time of year anyway. Costco has fresh jumbo lump from North Carolina, not pasteurized, for about $26/lb. Wegmans is carrying fresh non-pasteurized crabmeat right now but it is over $30/lb.

Regarding Captain Pells, you need to call ahead and reserve jumbos for an excellent crab experience. Yes, they are $10 each but 1/2 dozen satisfies my wife and I just fine. It's a better deal than their all you can eat mediums for $45/person and 3 or 4 jumbos will fill you up.

• Like 1

Cajun, ordered before I read your post.  Ordered 10 pounds of IQF 15-20 white Gulf shrimp, 1 pound jumbo lump, 1 pound regular lump, with overnight shipping about $150.  Delayed one day because they were out of jumbo lump, so maybe it hasn't been frozen very long.

Had it shipped to work, when it got here, took it home on my lunch break and put it all in the freezer.  I was thinking I would have to thaw the shrimp because no way I could use 10 pounds of shrimp at once, but IQF means they are loose in the bag.  After we thaw and use the crab I will comment on the texture, but since it's going into a gumbo seems like that may not be an issue.

It was very well packed, the container is made of styrofoam, and there were bags of dry ice in with the seafood.  Whole package shrink wrapped.  Cajungrocer.com.

Now my only dilemma is that I told a co-worker I'd bring him some gumbo, he's a pescatarian, and now I am wishing I could put some Andouille into the gumbo.  Guess I will cook the Andouille on the side, and add it after I take his out.  Not as good as cookiing the flavor in, though.

• Like 1