Frostburg

The +1 and I will be spending a (hopefully relaxing) weekend at the Savage River Lodge, conveniently located near Frostburg, MD, in mid-September. They have a restaurant attached to the Lodge that I've never heard boo about. Anybody care to comment on the lodge restaurant? And, even if you have no comment on it, any thoughts on places to eat in Frostburg? A search of chowhound revealed a 6 day old reference to a "mexican place on Main St." and a 2 year old reference to an "Italian place half block off main street."

Wine lists are totally unimportant to us, and cost isn't particularly important either. While I want good food, I'm more interested in relaxing while there, so good food that is a one hour one way trip away from Frostburg is unlikely to interest us.

Any advice appreciated.

Frostburg

Smokey,

My wife and I were at the Lodge for a wedding a few years ago. (She went to high school there.) The food at the Lodge was fine, but it looks like a new chef is in place. There is an old fashion french restaurant called Au Petit Paris, but we have never been there. The Italian restaurant was quite good (Guiseppes) in an informal way. Both have websites:

http://www.giuseppes.net/menu/entreemenu.html

http://www.aupetitparis.com/

Good luck,

Ignacio

Frostburg

The +1 and I will be spending a (hopefully relaxing) weekend at the Savage River Lodge, conveniently located near Frostburg, MD, in mid-September. They have a restaurant attached to the Lodge that I've never heard boo about. Anybody care to comment on the lodge restaurant? And, even if you have no comment on it, any thoughts on places to eat in Frostburg? A search of chowhound revealed a 6 day old reference to a "mexican place on Main St." and a 2 year old reference to an "Italian place half block off main street."

Wine lists are totally unimportant to us, and cost isn't particularly important either. While I want good food, I'm more interested in relaxing while there, so good food that is a one hour one way trip away from Frostburg is unlikely to interest us.

Any advice appreciated.

I spent a weekend at Savage River Lodge a couple of winters ago... it was really relaxing and the hikes were great. (The guides on the hikes are super, and if you have any interest in botany or biology, you'll enjoy learning from them.) One of these days I'm going to go back and take cross-country skiing lessons, there wasn't enough snow the weekend we were there.

As for food... I couldn't find anything of interest when I researched Frostburg, so we wound up at the restaurant at the Lodge (I'm pretty sure it was the same chef as it is now, but I could be wrong). Which, according to their website, is award-winning. But we found it just average. Certainly not bad, and we enjoyed its proximity to the cabin, and the Lodge's roaring fireplace and downstairs ping pong table ... but it wasn't spectacular. They rave, by the way, about their bacon-wrapped meatloaf ... which I thought was fine, but not rave-worthy.

Deep Creek

Oh, I agree, I want to get a chimney starter, I bought the little grill as a stopgap, (I really want a gas grill, may get one soon). Right now, I'm using crumpled newspaper, a few chemical briquettes, & a bunch of hardwood charcoal. I'm still not used to grilling, though, & have a hard time waiting for the coals to die down...My stuff tonight turned out great, also made a blk bean, corn/tomato salad, w/ a basil vinaigrette.

Next week, I'm going on vacation, up to a rented house (my inlaws do this every year, usually different places, last year was Lake Anna, the previous 2 years was Edisto,SC, which was wonderful)-this year, we're going to Deep Creek Lake, MD. So, if anyone has any tips on grocery stores, farmers markets, what to pack, I'd truly appreciate it. It looks like it will be alot of women & children (don't worry, we have ample tvs, DVDs, & computer games)-I'm going to pack lots of books & look forward to a peaceful, maybe even cooler, week...

Back from a week long vacation at Deep Creek Lake, & if anyone is thinking about going there, here's my thoughts-1)very conveniently located, we're in NOVA, it was about 3-3.5 hours drive, on interstates, from here 2)great vacation spot, centrally located, lots of activities for all ages (we were there w/ my inlaws & my DH's sibs-most of the time 7 adults & 5 kids, from newborn to 11, with a few extra adults on the weekends)-we had a house that was on the mountainside, near Wisp, although it wasn't lakefront, most things are convenient, we rented jetskis one morning (I passed), went to Swallow Falls State Park (waterfalls & swimming areas, very nice).

The DCL area is tourist-oriented, with great grocery stores, restaurants, but not over-saturated-little traffic, lovely, cool mornings..it was a great getaway, 2 of my SILs & I did yoga at the lake one morning, my first yoga class & it was wonderful, breezes & daddy longlegs!...it was a relaxing vacation, but it's nice to be home...

Definitely, more specifics on the grocery stores and restaurants! I'm headed up to Frostburg (which I think is in the deep Creek Lake neck of the woods, if I understand correctly) in about a month and would love some specifics!

I'm heading up on Saturday and would love to know the grocery store situation. We plan on hitting the Del Ray farmer's market on the way, but it would help to know if we need to hit Whole Foods, or the like, as well.

Thanks in advance!

Deep Creek

I'm heading up on Saturday and would love to know the grocery store situation. We plan on hitting the Del Ray farmer's market on the way, but it would help to know if we need to hit Whole Foods, or the like, as well.

Thanks in advance!

We used to rent cabins for New Years at DCL. Mostly we cooked at the cabins, but we did eat out (once) at the Deep Creek Brewery. The beers actually surprised me; I wasn't expecting much. The food was above average pub grub. I've have heard reliably good-to-great things about the Deer Park Inn. It's a B&B that runs a small restaurant (I think dinner only, they may do brunch, too). Honestly, I'd avoid most of the restaurants there. When the Pidge Lodge Steakhouse proudly proclaims, "It only tastes expensive!!", chances are it doesn't dry.gif

For groceries there are your standards; nothing special. There is a gourmet shop (I think Deep Creek Gourmet or something obvious) that sells wine (nothing too special) and cheeses (OK selection, but they do carry local Fire Fly cheeses, pretty good). Most of the "gourmet" items are overpriced, pre-packaged spreads and oils and vinegars that you normally find in resort areas. If I remember they have a deli, too.

Since we were always up there in the dead of winter we didn't find any, but from driving through all the small towns to get there I'm sure you would stumble across several vegetable and fruit stands. It is really is beautiful farm country up there.

Oakland

It's been over 30 years since I've been but the Cornish Manor in Oakland, Md. seems to still be going strong, and they have Veuve Cliequot on the wine list which is (to me) a plus.

I remember they had a special of 21 shrimp which I thought was the greatest thing in world way back then.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://cornishmanor.com/

Oakland

Thanks in advance!

There's a Food Lion in Oakland and that gourmet "Foodtown" or something in McHenry. Load up before you go at Whole Foods, although you'll likely find some farm stands there, too. And don't forget, Garrett County is dry on Sundays. For all alcohol sales, even in restaurants by the glass.

Grantsville; Cumberland

Don't forget the Hilltop Fruit Markets in Grantsville and Cumberland. You can load up on lots and lots of candy. Oh, and fruits and vegetables too. There's also an Amish market around somewhere.

Ignacio

As for food... I couldn't find anything of interest when I researched Frostburg....

My wife who went to high school in Frostburg was insulted by this statement. She says there's a great Hardees. McDonald's is hopping on a Friday night, especially after a football game. There's also a gourmet Tasty Freeze on the west side of town. :)

Ignacio

Frostburg; Lonaconing

Savage River Lodge is kind of its own place there and the locale is such that if you're staying at the Lodge, you're kind of isolated and it's a bit of a trek to not eat there. I have not eaten there, but my wife has lots of family in the area, many of whom have eaten at the Lodge and they consider it the high end of high end dining in the area.

In my many visits to the area over the years I haven't found much worth raving about. Terribly, the one place I'd have steered you to as a must visit burned down just a few weeks ago. The Hen House on Rt. 40 about 5 miles west of Frostburg was a great place not only for crab feasts but they had the best barbecue ribs I've ever tasted. Not only would I eat them there, I'd grab another few racks to pack up in a cooler to bring home with me.

Now, this is by no means fine dining, but if you'd like to pretend it's 1950, head into Lonaconing and try a malt at the soda counter at Marshall's or a simple sandwich or burger at Netty's. The long bar at Netty's looks like it's about 100 years old. And if you're lucky, you'll be there on a day when Netty is making her crab cakes. She doesn't make them that much any more....she's gotta be pushing about 90 years old!

Bottom line: One does not travel to Cumberland and environs for the food.

Lonaconing

Now, this is by no means fine dining, but if you'd like to pretend it's 1950, head into Lonaconing and try a malt at the soda counter at Marshall's
Now *this* perks my ears up! An honest-to-god malt (vanilla ice cream, hand scooped, chocolate syrup, etc.) at an honest to god soda fountain is something I love. There was a real soda fountain (in the back of a locally-owned drug store, no less) where I went to high school and college and it's one of my fondest memories. Are the malts actually good (no, I don't mean made with 'premium' ice cream, just not pre-formed crap shipped from corporate)?

Deep Creek

I should edit my post, I really don't know if there are 'great' restaurants, we didn't hit many restaurants (all those kids!), but we did eat at Santa Fe Grille (right next to the rental checkin place) one evening & I was surprised by one of the best crabcakes I've ever had-nice lumps of crabmeat, lightly bound, & the flatbread it came on wasn't bad (didn't need it, though). Almost everyone else's meals looked a little dismal, unfortunately; I think I just got lucky, usually when I order, I get it & think I should have gotten my second choice-to find a wonderful crabcake in McHenry, MD was serendipity.

The best grocery was the Foodland (also right across from the Railey realty complex), the Arrowhead market looked ok, too (not as large a selection of items, but you could shop by boat) & the small gourmet deli had wireless, so there were a couple of folks w/ laptaps, working away.

Frostburg

We had dinner at the Savage River Lodge this past weekend. It was our second visit (the first was 2 years ago). My only memory of the first visit was that they needed a few lighter, healthier choices on the menu, but that we enjoyed the meal. Same reaction this time. Lots of cream-based or cheese-based sauces. My second reaction was that they give you way too much food. My entree was a pecan-crusted trout. A whole trout. With sides of cinnamon-dusted basmati rice, a variety of summer squash, and a melon compote. No way could I eat all that, even though we had no appetizers - just salads.

OK, from the top - we were exhausted and cold (remember, it's about 2700 feet - not high, but colder than DC - it barely cracked 40 all weekend) from a really unpleasant hike elsewhere in the area. Therefore we chose to sit inside and inhale Irish coffee (me) and tea (Tim) to warm up. There is a screened-in, wrap-around deck and it would be lovely to sit out there, amidst the pretty forest, in nicer weather. There are big heaters, but we didn't want them to waste the energy just for us.

They served a basket of nice, crusty, yeasty bread, though only the one variety.

The salads were perfectly fresh and the dressings, served on the side, were good (my honey lemon) and very good (Tim's balsamic vinaigrette).

The meatloaf WAS something to rave over, in our opinion. Four kinds of meat - bison, venison, veal, and pork, ground together and cooked in a bacon wrap. Tim loved it, and he hates meatloaf. The reduction (sorry, can't remember what it was) was a perfect complement. My trout was perfectly fresh and nicely cooked BUT the pecan crust was infused with maple syrup. Now, I love maple syrup and a LITTLE bit would have been a lovely flavor but they overdid it and it was too sweet. I don't like sweet things, so maybe I'm not the best judge, but Tim loves sweet things and he also found it a bit too sweet.

We shared a berry cobbler for dessert and this sadly was a miss. Again, they need some lighter choices (like, say, fresh berries by themselves....?). The berries were fresh (blueberries, black raspberries, red raspberries) and the cobbler was prepared to order. However, they didn't keep an eye on it and the topping charred. In addition, the topping was dry, tasteless. Not even a hint of sweet or cinnamon. The other choices were cheesecakes and bread puddings and such.

We are going back in the fall to enjoy the on-site hikes (total of 15 miles of well-marked trails), the fall foliage, and the cabins with the double-deep soaking tubs and other such amenities. We may eat dinner elsewhere, however. With the one-night fee of $220, including only muffins and juice in the a.m., it would be all too easy to run the total tab up to $400 for the one night. Now, I hear some of you saying $400 = Maestro or the Tasting Room at Eve. True, but you aren't in Tyson's Corner, now are you? And can you go to Maestro in your well-worn jeans? The place IS very comfortable and friendly. Given the 3ish hour drive from DC, I wouldn't go unless I could make a full day of it or stay overnight, but it is a nice place to have a nice meal and enjoy the scenery and relax.

Now, still waiting for someone to come up with another good place in the Frostburg-Deep Creek vicinity. There are lots of joints in Deep Creek/McHenry but honestly, none seem to be much more exciting than the Pizzeria Uno in the middle of Deep Creek. So sad that a good brewpub with excellent burgers (Big Oak) died, and Uno stays in business...

Ellen

Frostburg

ellen--I never posted back on our experiences there (dining). We had a lovely fall weekend there (as you noted, cool weather, but the trails are great for hiking and jogging and we did loads of that) in 2006. However, the food was, in my opinion, abyssmal. We really wanted a relaxing weekend, so ended up deciding not to leave the lodge at all (it was further from Frostburg than I thought, and navigating unfamiliar, rural roads in the dark was more stress than I wanted). I found that any food items that seemed like a nod to current fad/fashion were overwrought and poorly executed. Your description of the maple syrup encrusted trout is a perfect example. The desserts all tasted like they were shipped in from elsewhere. The whole thing was, in my opinion, terrible, particularly for the price. It's a great place to stay in terms of location if you love to hike. But the food is incredibly weak, the service is wretched, and there's really very little opportunity for anything else there. I recommend sticking with the most simple of dishes (for lunch and dinner).

Please understand, much of this is my feeling about it based on the price/quality ratio (which is totally skewed). i might not have minded the unprofessional, incredibly chatty/casual service at a lower price point. At the prices they were charging, drefrosted fried calamari rings with bottled cocktail sauce and a waitress who wants to swap notes about travelling in S. America isn't what I'm after. Smokey

Frostburg

Smokey - it seems rare that opinions converge so closely on DR or any food board, but we are largely in agreement about Savage River Lodge. I wouldn't call the food abysmal, but it definitely needs work. I agree that it is best to stick with the simple dishes - but there weren't any! The closest they came to simple were the Cowboy Steak (14 oz) and the 8 oz. filet of beef.

I would have killed for a good roasted chicken or a piece of broiled fish. If we go back, that's precisely what I am going to ask for. Just broil the fish for me and put all sauces/toppings on the side. In fact, I will probably call ahead and say that I'm on a low-fat diet and be sure ahead of time that they can/will make something like this for me. When we booked, they asked if we had any dietary restrictions or allergies. We said no, because when we eat out - which is fairly rare - we don't worry about what we eat. We just enjoy ourselves and make at least a token effort to avoid the really "bad" stuff - like creams and cheese-based sauces, which we really don't even like. I'd love a good cheese plate, but enjoy good cheese by itself and not generally as an ingredient in a sauce (it tends to get grainy and/or congeals).

I read on TripAdvisor that they'd lost their chef last summer. Maybe that accounts for the poor execution. Also, vegetarians be warned: there is a vegetarian menu, but on TripAdvisor, someone wrote that they'd booked in part because there was a vegetarian menu, but when they arrived at dinner and tried to order vegetarian, they were told that there was only one vegetarian item. When they asked the management about the issue, they were told that the vegetarian menu had been created by the chef who'd left and the current chef was making only the one item.

We found the service to be professional but you are right - it was a bit chatty. To be fair, though, we were also pretty chatty, so the server responded appropriately. He seemed quite tuned into the moods of the diners, so if we'd been quiet and reserved, he probably would have backed off. I also note that more than half the customers were obviously locals/repeats - and this no doubt engenders familiarity and chattiness, too. We also read on TripAdvisor that the breakfasts are dreadful. There is no excuse for dreadful breakfast. We are looking for alternatives both for the night and for dinner. They apparently lock the gate at night, but you can get a key, so that isn't a problem. The problem is finding someplace else out there for dinner. Our friends who live in the area recommend the Hen House, but the menu doesn't sound like its got much for us. The menu for Au Petit Paris is very traditional French and Ii think we wil give it a try.

One thing that would be a great addition at Savage River is a bar menu. Sometimes you just want a great burger or a bowl of soup. There are no burgers on the menu and there are soups, but again - heavy on the cream and the cheese.

Ellen

Frostburg

I agree that it is best to stick with the simple dishes - but there weren't any! The closest they came to simple were the Cowboy Steak (14 oz) and the 8 oz. filet of beef.

Yep, that was definitely another challenge of the menu. To find their strong suit (such as it is), you truly only had one option on the entire menu.

I agree, a chatty server is fine if you're chatty, and I consider it the hallmark of a good server to be able to match your mood. The waitress who wanted to compare notes about travelling in S. America was not matching my mood!

Good luck finding alternatives in Frostburg or surrounding environs, and be certain to post on what you encounter!

Wisp

We picked a good weekend to go skiing at Wisp but I can't say we picked a good restaurant. First, the ski report. My wife's a total beginner and I've never gotten off the bunny slope myself in my prior skiing experience (last tried 20+ years ago when the skis are still longer than your average SUV). You'll recall last week was quite warm but the weekend was cold enough for them to make snow. In addition, we got about 3 inches of real snow, which added some charm to our experience. We took a group lesson for absolute beginners, i.e., doofuses that never even put on ski boots before. With the new short parabolic skis, I had no trouble steering myself. My wife was less successful and she wiped out every time down the bunny slope. I then convinced her we should go to be the beginner trail since it's likely lessed cramped. She proceeded to wipe out twice on each of her first two runs down the trail (Possum) because the steepest part of the trail was very icy and she's not very skilled at turning. On our last run, I told her to just go straight down the steep part and then try to turn and slow down afterwards and she was able to make it without wiping out. We generally had a very positive experience skiing at Wisp. We also went tubing the next day and that was a ton of fun as well.

As it was Valentine's weekend, we avoided going out to eat for dinner on the sappy night itself. On Sunday night, we went to the Cornish Manor. The menu was much shorter than what was posted online. I ordered some little neck clams cooked in white wine, and mussels mariner which never arrived. My wife had a steak caesar salad (overcooked steak, our server said she'll bring us some dressing but never did, but the salad itself already had dressing) and a bison burger, with gigantic buns and a little piece of ground bison hidden somewhere in there. Our friends ordered the steak au poivre and prime rib. We all thought the food wasn't bad (for being in the middle of nowhere) but the service was terrible. Our server, a nice woman in her 40s or 50s, really had no clue. My wife's salad was delivered at the same time as her burger. I was mistakenly given the steak au poivre and when told of her mistake, she kindly told us the plate is very hot. So I used my napkins to pass the plate to its rightful eater. It took forever to have our wine refilled (we ordered by the glass so couldn't refill ourselves).

Down in the Carribean they live on "island time." I suppose in Deep Creek Lake, they live on "deep doo doo time."

Hagerstown; Wisp; Oakland; Deep Creek; Frostburg; Davis (WV)

As I am from Deep Creek and go back up to visit often I thought I would post a short quick update with some info:

On the drive up and back there are a couple places we will sometimes stop for quick, good what my Husband calls general purpose food. Not gourmet just good. The first is the AC&T gas station right by the outlets in Hagerstown. Now the gas station has been there long before the outlets were there, although it upgraded nicely. The place has some great fried chicken, potato wedges, green beans and mac and cheese. There is also the Park and Dine in Hancock which has great homemade country desserts. I like their chicken fried steak and prime rib, the meatloaf is good too. Weavers is also good, and has a bakery too. In LaVale we often stop at DiAtri's for a sub, my brother loves the chicken parmesaen sub, I like the cold subs or salads because their homemade italian and greek dressings are good, they also have some good stick to your ribs american italian food.

In Garrett County- this is not a culinary hot spot by any means. The growing season is incredibly short, the roads are not pleasant and restaurants generally don't do great for some reason. What it is missing are good casual spots like Canoe on the Run, which is right by Wisp and has very good soup, sandwiches and salad. My sister and her husband used to run the Silver Tree a greek/italian restaurant that was great and dearly missed. Also McClives used to be great and now is a condo complex. It is hard for people to make as much profit as just selling the places. My other sister and her husband bought the point view inn with the intention of turning it into a boutique hotel and spa, but the county wouldn't re-route a rather dangerous intersection (at their expense) to give them enough room to build so it is now closed. Red Run reopens with new owners every now and then, I haven't been lately. I should try it soon though.

Things I think are of interest:
Sugar and Spice Bakery- this is a little amish shop run by the peachy sisters. They used to just have a cheese and reupholstering shop, but their baked goods were so popular they expanded. Their doughnuts when fresh are wonderful, the pumpkin rolls are good, sticky buns, whoopie pies and they have good bread too. They have some really good stuff.

Get N Go chicken salad. On 219 just past Oakland on the way to Lock Lynn not the lake is a little convienence store called Get N Go they have homemade breads, really good chicken salad and some other good hot specials from time to time, but we normally go and just get a big tub of chicken salad.

There is a new little Mexican restaurant called El Canelo in Oakland (near the Denny's) that has some pretty good things that we have been stopping at lately. Hubby and I have had a few good meals there, including some specials. I can't remember exactly what we have eaten though now.

Brenda's Pizzeria is pretty good. She is a native Booklyner who now resides in the area, I don't love love the sauce on the pizza, but there are good toppings. And I am not a NY Pizza person so I am probably not the best judge, but they make the dough fresh daily and get good ingredients. I also like a lot of the pastas.

The Mountain State Brewing Company is new and I have had two flatbread pizzas there I really liked the mushroom and then a supreme, but this place has promise it is out near the Wisp on Sang Run Road. If I were going out to eat there next weekend it's where I would gamble on.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, a drive to Davis, WV for a stop at Sirriani's Pizza or Mutley's for steak is worthwhile.

Santa Fe Grille is awful, Pine Lodge is mediocre- especially given the price, Cornish is the best of the nicer restaurants for me, but it isn't what we would get down here in DC.

Another place to check out is the Deer Park Inn, it has funny hours, but the food is good.

We haven't been back to the BBQ place since it first opened, but it had promise we will try it again.

Lakeside creamery has good homemade ice cream.

If you like greasy diner fare- in the back of Englander's downtown there is a sode fountain/grill that has been there for years. It survived the close of the pharmacy that occupied that building before the antiques. If you are out of towner they will give you a menu, but there is stuff not on the menu you can get. The best thing to get are buckwheat cakes and sausage which is what they are known for. They also make good milkshakes.

As for grocery shopping- when we are staying at the Lake we normally go to Arrowhead, it is just a market, but they have a good prepared section, which is nice when vacationing. The other options are only Walmart, Foodland (which unless you are a local I wouldn't advise going to or the Foodland Fresh at the lake which is ok, but won't have much other than basic groceries.

As a note there are a couple events in the area worth investigating- the Autumn Glory Festival which rates big among fall festivals, there is a oktoberfest where they shut down part of the street (which is a national highway) for people to drink on and a polka band plays it is interesting and fun, the state fiddle and banjo contest is held, they have all sorts of antiques, a big parade Saturday and Saturday the Volunteer fire fighters make great italian sausage sandwiches. Also if you like boardwalk style fries the Rotary Club has a trailer and makes really good boarwalk fries.

Also worth a note is the Amish Harvest Sale, an auction the amish community has to raise money for their school and other things. The produce, baked goods and other things for sale are wonderful, they have great homemade concessions and it really is a fun experience.

Anyway hope this is helpful.

Oakland

Was in the real Western Maryland this past weekend, for a cold, but not snowing, Autumn Glory Festival. Friday night at a friend's house we had Brenda's Pizzeria's to go eggplant parmesan which came in a big foil baking dish with cheese in a bag to add. It was really tasty. We also had the baked ziti which was good too it had braised pork. But the eggplant was better. A nice homey American red sauce kind of delight.

Dropped off rental keys on Sunday and headed over to Canoe on the Run for lunch before Swallow Falls. Had a really delicious tomato and corn bisque. Their soups continue to be really good. Should have stolen a bite of a friends black bean which was so pretty with roasted pumpkin seeds on top. As I am a tad bit of a bread snob, I appreciate that the sandwiches here are normally on good bread, better than most other places you can get sandwiches in the area where your choices are white, wheat or kaiser.

Deep Creek; Grantsville

Another vote for Brenda's in DCL - it isn't fine dining, but the stuff tastes fresh. The room is kid friendly while having a nice view of the lake. We stopped by in the summer and were pleasantly surprised.

The Penn Alps didn't seem worth the drive or money. It was just tired, mass produced stuff. Made me wonder how big the troughs were in the kitchen.

Englander's was interesting to say the least, a real "roadfood" kind of place. I had never tried buckwheat pancakes before so have no frame of reference. They were good, big, wet, tangy things that were fine but not something I'd go out of my way for. As with any such places, sometimes the enjoyment is beyond the food - and as we sat at the counter, we talked with an older gentleman who came in for some coffee and company.

Grantsville

Had to run to Morgantown with my mother; she mentioned Penn Alps. Not knowing any better we stopped there for lunch. Will not do that again; what I call cafeteria food. Flavorless, tired, unappealing, boring. Just not good.
I ate lunch there once laugh.gif. It reminded me of places I've eaten in Central PA. The dried corn was interesting. I think I just had some kind of sandwich. My friend had a heartier meal. (She's the one who got the dried corn.)

Frostburg

Parents wanted to go to Savage River Lodge to celebrate anniversary. Ordered from the dinner menu; everyone seemed happy with their food (6 diners). But husband and I thought the food was good, very good even but not worth the dollars spent. The homemade sausage was good and I thought my Bison was flavorful. If you are staying at the lodge, please know you will get good food, but plan on paying a lot. The only other restaurant near there I know about is the Hen House but I have not eaten there.

Oakland; Wisp; Morgantown, WV

Just an update:

Firefly farms in Accident, MD is making some really fantastic goat cheese. I had it at the Oakland Farmer's Market, but I believe they have it in Whole Foods in our area. I really like the Merry Go Round myself. You will be able to tour their new facility when it is ready.

Also picked up some good no bake cookies at the market.

Canoe on the Run continues to be good for soups, salads, sandwiches, breakfast. I had a really nice cobb salad the other day.

Was a little miphed with the Mountain State Brewery. We went in after a night at the Haunted Shack and Mountain Coaster at Wisp (totally worth it) and it was after ten and we were going to order flatbreads and a salad for me. The bartender said they only had flatbreads after ten. I let him know I couldn't eat gluten and he just shrugged, offered no solution. I asked if I could get soup, said no. Now this really annoyed me since soup is pre-made for the day, and salad is pretty darn easy to put together and takes no cooking. He didn't even bother to ask the manager if they could accommodate me. My friends were hungry and I didn't want to make a fuss as they were excited for flatbreads, so I ate a snack at our cabin while they had dinner. I should have talked with the manager, but I was just too tired to care. What really offended me was the bartender's attitude he just didn't care. I am sure he will appreciate that we didn't care when we left our tip.

Had buckwheat cakes and sausage at Englander's which was awesome as normal.

Also had a nice dinner at the Cornish Manor. Pepper steak with cognac sauce, roasted veggies and mashed potatoes. As a note they have a huge selection of gluten free items, pretty much everything on the menu. My steak was cooked to temperature and tasted good, veggies were nice, mashed potatoes weren't my favorite, but they weren't that bad, I am just picky. Free side salad with dinner was good too.

The best food all weekend of course was what we cooked ourselves for the Autumn Glory porch party, but I digress.

Cumberland; Berkeley Springs, WV

Any recommendations for Cumberland? We're going to the Rocky Gap Resort in August for a long weekend. Heard the onsite restaurant isn't all that good. If anyone's been to the Rocky Gap Resort and can comment on the activities available there, that would be great!

I stayed at Rocky Gap several years ago. Dinner in the main dining room is not bad. Their bar and breakfast are pretty basic. Out in Cumberland, there is a fun little place called The Crabby Pig. They serve ribs and barbecue--laid back and casual with outdoor seating.

If you don't mind driving to Berkeley Springs, WV (about 20 miles away), there is a nice restaurant called Lot 12 Public House. I had dinner there and really enjoyed it.

Cumberland; Frostburg

Any recommendations for Cumberland? We're going to the Rocky Gap Resort in August for a long weekend. Heard the onsite restaurant isn't all that good. If anyone's been to the Rocky Gap Resort and can comment on the activities available there, that would be great!

Hmmm, I always go to D'iatri's in Cumberland for American Italian style subs and salads, I like their homemade salad dressings. They also have homemade bread and desserts. Puccini is also ok. I don't stop a lot in Cumberland nowadays. Oh and be careful for police around the Rocky Gap area, it is a big speed trap, fyi. You might investigate Frostburg too, it might have some ok options too, I haven't been to Guiseppies or The Hen House forever, but we used to like them back in the day.

Oakland

Just wanted to note that there is a pizza place doing gluten free pizza in Garrett County called Ari's Pizza. I had their wings which were good. Didn't get their gf pizza because I didn't know they had it.

Also as I sit hear eating my Get N'Go chicken salad, I can't help but thinking this is really darn good chicken salad. Now if only I could eat their homemade rolls too.

Frostburg

Now the hen house is not in Baltimore, it's actually 5 miles outside of frostburg on alt. route 40. It's located in a big Birmingham and the porch is the outside seating weather permitting. They hold lots of events there from wedding receptions to live music to hay rides and Halloween parties. But the best part? Fried chicken. Hands down my favorite, I'm actually reluctant to give up this gem it's soo damn good. My gf pouts if I take her to the family farm and don't stop by on the way back, like for days. Here's the deal, don't go on a Sunday. I made that mistake, they were out of chicken. That being said, for 11 dollars you get a bowl of home made chicken noodle soup( with the kind of broth that still has some fat on top and is super rich) some house baked bread with butter, a really fresh salad with cukes and tomato and carrot( also really fresh veggies) then a whole fried leg with your choice of a side, they change but consists of cole slaw, Mac n cheese, Mac salad, fries, baked potato, veggies, onion rings etc. the cole slaw is amazing. It's chopped and slightly sweet with the correct amount of vinegar. The chicken is crisp, never over cooked( I've been a lot) and super juicy and tender. The desserts are not made in house but there are some pretty awesome other things on their menu, the fried oysters rock, the ribs are tasty, I had a fried fish Sammy once that changed me. All that and you can't beat the prices. Also it's beautiful out there. A few weeks ago imagine yourself biting into that chicken with a cold beer out on the porch watching the farmers bring in the second cropping of hay for the season, oh and don't forget to wave.

Frostburg

I can't believe I didn't write a Hen House post. Still looking ...

And sure enough, I did.

---

ETA - This is the last time I've ever left my credit card at a restaurant. They kindly mailed it to me, but the next month, over $1,000-worth of fraudulent charges appeared (most of them originating in Austria, and some of them for airfare), and it became something of a mini-nightmare. Whoever was behind it was a sophisticated criminal, and knew what they were doing; this was not just some bimbo running down the street to Target.

Frostburg

the ribs are tasty,

Years ago when I lived in NY and would travel down to western MD to visit my wife's family, it was a regular thing to bring a load of Hen House ribs back in a cooler. I'd even task my father in law with bringing some back if he was going on his own. In countless times at that place over the years I never had the fried chicken. I'm heading up for a few days next week. Will have to try it.

Oakland

There is a new restaurant in Oakland that people are saying good things about the Cornish Cafe, owned by the people who own the Cornish Manor. I haven't been yet, but has gotten positive feedback from friends and family, and apparently they have GF bread.

Went to Englander's and it has gotten fancy, they offered me a menu and had some lying around. They stay open later on Sundays- and are nicer. Still the same greasy spoon diner fare.

Didn't get a chance to stop in to Get N Go for my normal take home of chicken salad and pepperoni rolls. But had some good burnt sugar topped cinnamon roll from Sugar and Spice.

Oh and my Sister and Brother just opened the drive through liquor store just north of Wisp on 219, so if you are in the area and need liquor... Sorry there isn't a I know KTMoomau discount sadly.

Oakland

Went to Ace's at the Will O'The Wisp.  Run by Brenda McDonald who also has Brenda's Pizzeria.  The new decor is really nice, I like the remodel.  I had an chopt salad that was sort of a antipasta lettuce mix, but it was tasty, I could have done with a bit more lettuce and less cheese, but.  Hubby had the pepperoni roll special, which was a big pepperoni rolls (yes like a calzone but the dough is a little different) I had a bite and liked it.  Aunt had chicken and dumplings, overall decent flavor, but the dumplings were a little strange, but the root vegetables that she had as a side were really good.  Mashed but with texture left and simple seasoning, they kind of stole the show.

Another option, with now a much updated dining room, outside seating serving lunch and dinner.

Oakland

Oh and Get N Go chicken salad is still amazing, as are the pastries at Sugar and Spice, lunch at Canoe on the Run was good and Brenda's Pizzeria pizza also good.  The Caleb Stine concert at Our Town Theater was a lot of fun.  And my hashbrowns and egg over easy at Englander's was still a great greasy spoon breakfast although I should have asked for them a little more crusty.

Oakland (technically this isn't true Rocks my post is Oakland, Deep Creek Lake and Redhouse)

Oh and Get N Go chicken salad is still amazing, as are the pastries at Sugar and Spice, lunch at Canoe on the Run was good and Brenda's Pizzeria pizza also good.  The Caleb Stine concert at Our Town Theater was a lot of fun.  And my hashbrowns and egg over easy at Englander's was still a great greasy spoon breakfast although I should have asked for them a little more crusty.

Garrett County

Had another really nice meal at Ace's on Deep Creek Lake.  Had the pork chops with mashed carrots and potatoes (and parsnips too maybe?) and homemade apple sauce.  They were really good.  Apparently they have half price burgers on Tuesday.  The burgers looked good.  My pork chops were really juicy frenched bone in chops that had great juice, I couldn't eat both.  I really like the rough mashed carrots and potatoes it wasn't as thick and starchy as mashed potatoes, but it was seasoned nicely.  Homemade apple sauce was a bit watery, I like mine a bit thicker, but was good.

Also got some chili at Uno's before a movie one night, which was fine, nothing special, but not expensive and after a big lunch just the right amount of food needed.

We also ate at the cornish manor, their entree salads are huge fyi, huge.  I had a caesar, which other than having too much cheese was good, it had blackened chicken on it, which I wish they would have gone ahead and cut as that made it a little unwieldy, but it was nice to get a big salad somewhere, that isn't available in a lot of places.  I also had the maryland crab soup which was really good, lots of crab and good flavor.

My Mom went to a new restaurant in Accident, she said it was really good, I will have to get the name.

Garrett County/Accident, Oakland

There is some new life in Accident, Maryland.  Anyone that goes should really check out Firefly Farms shop there.  Across the street is Moonshadow Cafe.  This place used to be a dive bar, but is now a pretty cute space.  Friday night a good friend's band was playing.  We went and ordered the buffalo cauliflower, hummus and filet with double veg instead of potatoes.  The buffalo cauliflower was wickedly good.  I was sitting there eating cauliflower thinking wow I don't know that I have ever eaten cauliflower that I enjoyed this much.  It was so simple.  Roasted cauliflower tossed in a homemade buffalo sauce. It doesn't sound great, but it was.  The hummus and pita were really good.  I wonder if they make their own pita, it didn't taste like most average pita.  The hummus was a thicker style but good.  The filet was cooked medium rare as requested.  It had very good flavor with a red wine reduction.  Steamed broccoli that went with it was good, not anything special done to it, but was great and nice to be able to eat pretty healthy.

We also went to the farmer's market to pick up some nice spinach and leaf lettuce to cook at home.  The farmer's market is a nice little market.  Firefly has cheese there, lots of baked goods and breads, and vegetables, etc.

Boonsboro

On our way back into town last weekend we took back roads to avoid traffic on 70/270 and stumbled upon the Cronise Market Place in Boonsboro. It's a farmstand and plant market (my guess is it's seasonal). Farm produce is clearly marked local or not; we picked up some corn, blueberries, black raspberries, white and yellow nectarines, and several kinds of preserves including a banana butter and a no-sugar blueberry preserve. The store is small but also carries cheese, eggs, candy, and lawn ornaments.

• Like 1

Deep Creek Lake

We went up for Autumn Glory this year, which due to the weather was sadly under attended.  But we none-the-less had a great time, especially as we now have two houses on the parade route.  We got take out from Brenda's Pizzeria- half spinach/sausage and half pepperoni.  This is Brooklyn style pizza.  It was definitely good.  I am more of a flatbread type and prefer Mountain State Brewpub or Sirriani's both which are more off the beaten path.  But this is good pizza and they have huge pizzas which are great when you are feeding the rental house crew.  They also make really good salads and other items.  I got a big Sicilian salad to share and the homemade dressing really helped make this a tasty salad.

Other notable highlights which don't involve restaurants, but are food related.  I can't quite figure out what Boom Boom sauce at Sheetz is, but it is pretty tasty in a I am ashamed of myself way (it's like a spicy Chicfila sauce).  We got quiches made for a brunch at Get N' Go Market which were amazing, my leftovers for lunch right now.  We got a broccoli, a spinach and one that I didn't eat which I think was caramelized onion and something.  These were great.  Note that Get N'Go does a really good take out business and can make pretty much anything you want if you call ahead a few days.  The ham we got (most expensive brand) from Walmart was amazing.  I hate to say that.  I HATE Walmart, but honest truth.  Also the sausage from Browning's Foodland is phenomenal.  I heard they make their own mix in store.  Next time I am up I am going to buy some to bring home with me.  If you don't believe the doughnuts at Sugar and Spice are good, try to get more than one box on Autumn Glory weekend- won't happen.  The produce at Arrowhead Market this trip was abysmal, if you are travelling through Oakland and going to cook at your house, get your produce from The Fruit Market instead, much better.  They also have some bulk goods, cheese and some other dairy and other staples, along with all the candy at Candyland.  And a huge selection of items for making a fancy cake.