DR.com Autumn Picnic - September 28, 2014, at Fort Hunt Park

bettyjoan

OK, someone please just make sure I have this right.  Fort Hunt, C-2, 9/28/14.

RESERVATION DETAILS
Campground: Fort Hunt
Site: C-002
Site Type: GROUP PICNIC AREA
Loop: Group Picnic Areas
State: Virginia
Region: NCR
Arrival Date: Sun Sep 28 2014
Departure Date: Sun Sep 28 2014
Length of Stay: 1
Primary Occupant: L ILAINE UPTON
# of Occupants: 120
Equipment:
# of Vehicles: 40
# OF PETS:
Check-In Time: 10:00 AM
Check-Out Time: 6:00 PM

That looks right.  Remember to bring your permit with you because they do come around to check it.  (Or be able to bring it up on your phone to show them.)  Putting it on my calendar now :) .

Excellent!  So, I'm interested in knowing...what do people want to see/do at the picnic?  We want it to be the biggest and best we've ever had.  Do you want organized tastings (I'm thinking beer/wine)?  Restaurant/chef participation?  Food-related games (maybe like a "Chopped" style challenge)?  Cookbook swaps?

We always have a good time just eating and chatting.  But, I feel like maybe we can get some new folks interested if we have a little something for everyone.

Really excited to hear peoples' thoughts!

I like all of your ideas!

In the past things I have really enjoyed:

When Antonio brought fried chicken and ribs;

Cookbook exchange;

When someone who I don't know fried fresh spring rolls;

Caja china pig;

Wine cull.

Things that would be cool:

If we could arrange to do a mobile knife sharpening?

Maybe a few low key demonstrations on how to make something (this is challenging in the picnic environment- I was thinking like garden rolls or something).

Sorry to have to miss it, but the 28th is the only day in the fall that we've already committed elsewhere :(  I'm subscribing to this thread anyway though, in case something changes!

We also have something else scheduled that day, but I'll follow the thread anyway, for the same reason.

The diversity of food has always been the big draw for me (well, after the company). But I've enjoyed the tastings we've done (butter, salt), the cook-offs (pigs, chili), and on-site cooking (fried chicken!) and stunt cooking (ostrich egg, ice cream).

Ilaine, is it too late to reserve the 14th or 21st? I can make a poll. It sounds like a couple people can't make the 28th. (Does anyone have plans on the 14th or 21st?) I'd hate for people to miss this because they had commitments on a date selected 3 months in advance if we can help it.

I don't want to spend the next two weeks deciding on a date, so if we're going to put up a poll, let's do it ASAP and be done with it by Monday. What do people think?

• Like 1

Don, anybody who wants to do so can take a poll, and anybody who wants to do so can reserve the site.  It's only $200.00.

Never too late, until it is.

I just don't have time for it, myself.  Like herding cats, it is.

If someone wants to take a poll, and the site is still available for the voted-on date, let me know via PM and I will reserve it, and cancel the one I already made, just $10 to cancel which is nothing to me.  Seriously.

www.recreation.gov

Don, anybody who wants to do so can take a poll, and anybody who wants to do so can reserve the site.  It's only $200.00.

Never too late, until it is.

I just don't have time for it, myself.  Like herding cats, it is.

If someone wants to take a poll, and the site is still available for the voted-on date, let me know via PM and I will reserve it, and cancel the one I already made, just $10 to cancel which is nothing to me.  Seriously.

www.recreation.gov

OKAY.  Poll is started here and ends Monday at 5 PM. Anyone who cares enough to vote, do it now.

Please everyone, retweet this tweet to spread the word as quickly as possible. I want this decided on by Monday.

I'm going to do everything I can to make this the best picnic we've ever had.

Apparently October 28, 2014 won the poll, so it's a go.  For what it's worth, I voted for all three dates.

But I do like late September better than early September.

Coming from Louisiana, I never saw any difference and never understood why "fall" starts on September 21.

Here, I really see something mysterious happen in September.  There is a day, not exactly September 21, but near enough, where the nights start getting cooler and the air starts getting crisper, and you know, you KNOW, that your green tomatoes are not going to ripen, ever, and your figs, neither.

And then it's fall.

It fell.

Well, not exactly, you start sliding from the dog days into Indian summer.

So, September 28 is the date - I know it is still early, but maybe we can at least get commitments in terms of any "heavy" equipment for on-site cooking?  That way, we can plan some activities around what we have.

There will be plenty of room for off-site cooking (in other words, people bringing stuff that they cook/prep in their own kitchens) - but we can wait a bit to start tallying up who is bringing what.

I wonder if our lovely Alex would consider doing a wine tasting?  I am really excited about the picnic.  Trying to figure out what to bring.  What were some of the other ideas?

We could do a weird non-perishable in your cabinets cull.

I'll ask her. My advice? Get moving - it will be here before you know it.

Also, meat, meat, and more meat.

A wine tasting would be awesome.  I'm going to work on some beer for tasting, too - heading to California for 2 weeks, so I hope to bring back some unusual/rare finds that we can't easily get here in the DC area.

What are our limitations in terms of on-site cooking?  Do we have access to electricity?

When we went to the commissary yesterday ( Tom came home to stock up) there was a NC chopped BBQ truck outside, first time I've seen a trailer at the comm. After buying him lots of food, Tom & his sister hit the BBQ truck- he said it wasn't as good as mine, that he prefers pulled over chopped BBQ (warmed my heart)- & no slaw on the sandwich...but the potato salad was OK.

I will bring pulled pork BBQ, & all the leftover tablecloths, serving ware to the Fall picnic, & books for the cookbook swap, & other stuff, to be determined. I am SO looking forward to the picnic, & seeing everyone...

• Like 1

Woo hoo, it is September, which means the picnic is THIS MONTH!

Who's coming?  Whatcha bringing?  Let's get excited about food and fellowship on what will hopefully be a beautiful fall day.

So far -

thistle - pulled pork BBQ, table/serving stuff, and possibly additional TBD

bettyjoan +1 - TBD on the food, but definitely beer (happy to coordinate a tasting)

Let me know if you're coming and what you'd like to bring, so we can make sure we have all food groups covered.  As discussed in previous years, there is no such thing as too many deviled eggs.  :D

Definitely my Sicilian cauliflower.  Probably also some gluten-free lemon bars and some sort of meat dish

Will you be doing knife-sharpening this year?  If so, please feel free to post any relevant details - I know I would be interested, and I'm sure others would be as well!

Lizzy(my former pescetarian daughter) was just asking me when I was cooking BBQ again. Hope it cools down in the next few weeks, but I'm enjoying back to school schedules & a return to routine. I hope everyone had a great summer, see you at the picnic to welcome fall!

Will you be doing knife-sharpening this year?  If so, please feel free to post any relevant details - I know I would be interested, and I'm sure others would be as well!

I'm not sure yet.  Work has been about four times as crazy as normal, and on the weekends I just try to get my head back together to face the next onslaught.

If we come, we are bringing a grill. I say if because the foot surgery I had in January failed, and needs to be revised. Presently scheduled for 9/30/14, but am trying to get it moved up because I am in pain. My impression is that BettyJoan is organizing and all I did was reserve C-2. I hope so, as I am not up for it.

If we come, we are bringing a grill. I say if because the foot surgery I had in January failed, and needs to be revised. Presently scheduled for 9/30/14, but am trying to get it moved up because I am in pain. My impression is that BettyJoan is organizing and all I did was reserve C-2. I hope so, as I am not up for it.

I am sorry to hear about your foot.  :(  Let me know if there's anything I need to do in terms of the reservation/permit.  I hope you feel better soon!

Updated RSVP list -

bettyjoan +1 - TBD on the food, but definitely beer (happy to coordinate a tasting)

weezy - Sicilian cauliflower, gluten-free lemon bars, TBD meat dish

ktmoomau - Banana Cake with Penuche frosting, side dish of some sort, probably a veggie salad, GF cornbread

John William G +1 - TBD on food

StarStraf +1 - TBD on food

Remember, you don't have to cook something to attend!  We certainly encourage folks to show off their mad kitchen skillz, but we do not require it.

Anyone interested in focusing on beverages?

Getting hungry already!  :-)

Updated again:

ktmoomau +1 - Banana Cake with Penuche frosting, side dish of some sort, probably a veggie salad, GF cornbread

John William G +1 - TBD on food

DanielK +3 - TBD on food

Hoping to see lots more names added this week!  For those who have never attended a picnic before, it is a very low key event and it is a lot of fun!  So nice to be outdoors, eating delicious food and getting to know the DR.com family.

Kinda hoping that there are bunches of people who just haven't bothered to sign in as "going", because right now I read the headcount as 13, and that's not a picnic.

I offered a few years ago to make this thing big, but people didn't want it; in fact, I was pretty much scorned by people who aren't even coming to this picnic. Since then, I have viewed my role in these picnics as one of staying out of peoples' way.

It's too late now, but think about it for the future. If I prioritize it (and only if I prioritize it), I can make this one hell of an event.

Also, think about a possible correlation between this and Alex Elman's chat, and ponder what's important to you, and what's not.

I'm not a marketer, I'm not a bullshitter; someone else needs to do that stuff for me.

---

EDIT - If anyone needs me to do anything, let me know. I'll do whatever you all want or need - it has always been that way.

I will be there +1 but in a wheelchair. Possibly +2, tbd. Can't fit both wheelchair and grill in vehicle so husband will make caprese. Bringing odds and ends from cabinets and pantry hoping they will find a good home. Since I reserved the spot, what time should I be there? Will also bring a case of bottled water and a case of beer. I will also bring plastic eat ware. Serve ware too. Anybody bringing ice?

The latest -

ktmoomau +1 - Banana Cake with Penuche frosting, side dish of some sort, probably a veggie salad, GF cornbread

John William G +1 - rice salad, wine

DanielK +3 - TBD on food

Ilaine +1 - caprese, water, beer, plastic/serve-ware

Kids are definitely welcome!

Weather report - high 83, low 61, 0% chance of rain, mostly sunny.  Come on, folks, that is PERFECT weather for a picnic!  Who else is in???

Where you comming from?
If nothing else we drive right by Van Dorn Metro stop and could grab you there.

Can someone commit to bringing a cooler and ice? We just sold our car, so I am still figuring out how we are getting there, so I don't want to add to the complexity by bringing something that bulky.

Oh and what time are we starting?

We're still committed elsewhere on Sunday, but I want to chime in and add my support to other messages -- This picnic is a really great time, and extraordinarily delicious, and I encourage anyone on the fence to take the plunge and go :)  We're even thinking about rushing over to join in once we're free, but we wouldn't be able to get there until after 5pm.