Roger Ebert (1942-2013), Film Critic For The Chicago Sun-Times (1967-2013)

The Hersch

Were they going after Ebert in particular? He did list "Apocalypse Now" as one of his Ten Greatest Movies Of All Time ....

You link to Ebert's list that actually does not include Apocalypse Now as one of his ten greatest movies of all time. (I find it hard to imagine thinking Apocalypse Now is one of the 500 greatest movies of all time, myself. A sprawling ruin.)

You link to Ebert's list that actually does not include Apocalypse Now as one of his ten greatest movies of all time. (I find it hard to imagine thinking Apocalypse Now is one of the 500 greatest movies of all time, myself. A sprawling ruin.)

Oh, sorry - I saw this list a couple of days ago, and assumed there was only one list by Ebert. The one that includes "Apocalypse Now" was written much later in his career. Although I wouldn't say it's a "sprawling ruin," it certainly would not go on my Top 10 list.

Not to be morbid, but gosh it seems like he passed away longer than just fourteen months ago.

Not to be morbid, but gosh it seems like he passed away longer than just fourteen months ago.

You have an interesting relationship with death, but this observation isn't morbid.

The documentary "Life Itself" was the closing film of the recent AFIDocs and is now showing at Landmark E Street Cinema. There's a feature from Mark Jenkins about the film in today's WaPo.

I sided with Roger regarding food, but more often with Gene Siskel about the films.