Brooklyn's Deli, Now Open Only in South Rockville

There was a small piece in the food section of this morning's Post about this place. The writer claims that their Corned Beef is homemade and the best in the area. She also says that they have the best pickles south of the Lower East Side. Any one been here and had the corned beef or anything else?

So we made it there for lunch, and it was good. I had your basic pastrami on rye. The pastrami was excellent and very tender, but needed just the slightest touch more smoke. The rye bread was superb.

Add in a side and a drink and you're talking a two-digit lunch, but I look forward to exploring more of the menu especially the soups.

Edit to add - the pickles were pretty good.

So we made it there for lunch, and it was good. I had your basic pastrami on rye. The pastrami was excellent and very tender, but needed just the slightest touch more smoke. The rye bread was superb.

Add in a side and a drink and you're talking a two-digit lunch, but I look forward to exploring more of the menu especially the soups.

Edit to add - the pickles were pretty good.

No question that the rye bread was the best I've ever had in the DC area. The corned beef was very good, but I thought it was sliced just a bit too thin, and it could have used a bit more fat.

Knish was flavorful, but might have been microwaved, as it wasn't flaky. The matzoh ball soup on the next table looked very good. As JPW mentioned, the pickle bowl was decent, but only dills and half-sours - no other pickles or tomatoes.

I will definitely be back when I need a deli fix, especially since I had an awful meal at Celebrity Delly in Potomac last week.

I will definitely be back when I need a deli fix, especially since I had an awful meal at Celebrity Delly in Potomac last week.

I have not been to Celebrity in ages, but I have heard it went way down hill since the original owner sold out about a year or two ago.

FYI - Brooklyn's Deli is only open for breakfast and lunch they close at 3. I passed by one night last week after this thread appeared and they were closed.

Stopped in for lunch on Friday. They seemed to be out of everything, including the first two things I ordered (pastrami on pumpernickel). Went with the corned beef on rye, but agree with Daniel that it could use a bit more fat. As far as very lean corned beef goes, though, this was excellent (the best corned beef in the area remains Attman's in Baltimore, one of the last of 'Corned Beef Row' there). Good pickles.

Had no clue that shopping center existed. There's an Asian market, sushi place, bakery, and a few other places to eat in there.

I have been there a couple times since they either bought/remodeled from the previous owner. I think I actually prefer the old deli that used to be there. The last time I went there (it might have been over a year) the pastrami was too fatty and lacked taste. I should try it again to see improved since when they first opened.

Had no clue that shopping center existed. There's an Asian market, sushi place, bakery, and a few other places to eat in there.

The Indian place (Flavors) is actually pretty good. At least the goat dish I had was good. But then I'm a sucker for goat.

The Mexican place (I've forgotten the name) is not good. <shudder>

Soon to be moved to a generic deli thread, but one of the many lunchtime treats that I miss in Rockville is Brooklyn's Deli off of Darnestown Rd. behind Shady Grove hospital. Too lazy to look up the thread, but we've had some excellent sandwiches there.

Back to slide #71 of 218 and another long day...

I went a few times when BLBaby had music class at the temple around the corner. I thought the corned beef was good, Mr. BLB liked the pastrami but I thought the hot tongue on challah was mindblowingly good.

Alas, he is taking a different music class this fall and I'm down ten pounds so far on Weight Watchers so I don't see many trips in my future.

Jennifer

I think it was Celebrity Delly.

Indeed. The original one off Nicholson, then retired to Florida. He should take the spot back over in cabin john mall, as it stands now closed, "bah bye" is ther new daily special...celebrity deli RIP. He once reined supreme!

Wait on a Sunday at noon for a 2-top: 30 minutes.

Wait, once seated, for order to be taken: 10 minutes.

Wait, once order placed, for food to come: 25 minutes.

All completely forgotten and forgiven because the waitress was a trip, and because that was the best fucking plate of corned beef hash I've had in, I don't know, FOREVER.

Fabulous pastrami on rye today for a quick takeout lunch.

Yes, it was $11, but in true NY style the sandwich was 3" tall. If you had a side, you could probably get away with only eating half a sandwich and still be full. I, of course, ate the whole thing. Meat was smoky, flavorful, perfectly cut, and steamed just until warm. Bread was crusty and chewy, the way a good rye bread should be.

Dangerous that this place is a mile from my house.

Finally got around to trying this place. WOW!, best deli I have had in DC since moving here 25 years ago. Tried pastrami, corned beef and tongue, all were great. Good rye bread, pickles and slaw too. My only complaint were the potato latkes. As you might guess from my moniker and avitar, I am a deli maven; I finally found my place. good thing for me it is 12 miles from Mclean or I would end up weighing 300 pounds and occluding my arteries

This place is getting better every time we go, which is far too often.

Corned beef and pastrami sandwiches on that outrageously good rye were excellent tonight. And that corned beef hash plate, with a couple of eggs over easy dripping yolk into the hash, is still the best plate of corned beef hash I've ever had.

Matzo ball soup was also very good, but only if you like floaters, not sinkers.

IMHO, right now, a pastrami on rye here is better than Deli City.

Is the pastrami of the delicious fatty variety or the post modern extra lean type?

Definitely fatty. Noted on the menu that you pay $1 extra for "lean, first cut". Good smoke flavor, and good spicy crust with little crispy bits. I think the pastrami is on par, or perhaps a slight smidge behind Deli City, but the stupendous rye bread gets them many points in my book over the packaged crap you get at Deli City.

This place is getting better every time we go, which is far too often.

Corned beef and pastrami sandwiches on that outrageously good rye were excellent tonight. And that corned beef hash plate, with a couple of eggs over easy dripping yolk into the hash, is still the best plate of corned beef hash I've ever had.

Matzo ball soup was also very good, but only if you like floaters, not sinkers.

IMHO, right now, a pastrami on rye here is better than Deli City.

And as long as we're "grilling" you, do they make their owned corned beef hash, or is it canned? Because while canned corned beef hash grilled on a flat top (so it's nice and crispy in spots) can be delicious, nothing can beat a good homemade version.

Corned beef and pastrami sandwiches on that outrageously good rye were excellent tonight.

What is it about you, me, and restaurants in that little strip? :) I had a Reuben there last week and was really disappointed. The meat to cheese and dressing ratio was way too high, especially considering that the meat was way too lean and not very tasty. :) Please tell me it's worth another try.

Went for brunch today (only a 20 minute wait at 11:30 for a 4 top). Dan is right, get the corned beef hash and eggs platter.

Their tongue sandwich on rye will make think you are actually back in New York.

Just an update on locations - Shady Grove is closed as they are concentrating on the one location in Potomac.

Just an update on locations - Shady Grove is closed as they are concentrating on the one location in Potomac.

Hmm, sorry to hear that they've closed the Travilah Square location as it's less than 5 minutes from our house and the food was better there. We only ever got carry-out because the seating was crowded, but the sandwiches were quite good. Back in December we decided to go to the new location in Potomac because we knew they had a better sit-down situation than the Travilah location. We both ordered Reubens and a side of potato salad. The potato 'salad' was a joke, it was basically a pile of cooked potato chunks with virtually no dressing or anything else. We each took one bite and put it aside. The Reubens weren't much better. From the meat to the sauerkraut to the dressing, it was very mediocre. We would never order this again. This was a very disappointing experience as we had liked the sandwich at the original Brooklyns.

The pastrami in Potomac comes from a different NYC supplier than the one they used at Travilah, but it's cooked and sliced onsite, and makes for as good a pastrami sandwich as I've had in some time. It's machine-sliced to ribbon thinness; I'd prefer a thicker slice, but the flavor was still wonderful (on untoasted rye slices, with a generous squeeze of Saval brown mustard). Worth coming back for.

Their latkes are almost crazy thick though, which makes for a lower crunch-to-potato ratio. They're formed smoothly so you only really get a hint of the shredded texture from the interior, and the onion proportion is mild, but still enough to make it savory.

The pastrami in Potomac comes from a different NYC supplier than the one they used at Travilah, but it's cooked and sliced onsite, and as good a pastrami sandwich as I've had in some time. It's machine-sliced to ribbon thinness; .

Do you know if they sell by the pound?

Maybe it's a Philly thing, but untoasted rye, really?

Not that it's any good any more (it isn't), but I'm pretty sure Carnegie Deli has always used untoasted rye. Is this that unusual?

Also, I just realized that if you toast too much with rye you get toasted.

Maybe it's a Philly thing, but untoasted rye, really?

I grew up in Philly with frequent trips to NY. I've NEVER seen a corned beef or pastrami sandwich on toasted rye. Now, if you order a reuben or similar variant, I expect a grilled sandwich, but never ever toasted.

The pastrami in Potomac comes from a different NYC supplier than the one they used at Travilah, but it's cooked and sliced onsite, and makes for as good a pastrami sandwich as I've had in some time. It's machine-sliced to ribbon thinness; I'd prefer a thicker slice, but the flavor was still wonderful (on untoasted rye slices, with a generous squeeze of Saval brown mustard). Worth coming back for.

The pastrami also works well with a gently fried egg on a bagel for $4.77 including tax (but no bag tax as I just gripped the bugger wrapped in aluminum foil in one hand and walked out the door). I actually went in this morning to grab lox and cream cheese on a bagel but the menu price for this was a staggering $13.99, so I could not pull the trigger. Is there a more expensive lox/cream cheese/bagel in the entire country?*

*Not including the Carnegie Deli in NYC where the prices are as dysfunctional as the portion sizes.

Anyone know where the bagels are sourced?  I assume they're not made in-house.  The ones we had recently from the Potomac location were disappointing.  Weak crust, fairly bland on the inside.  In fairness, this was for take-out at dinner so maybe this was unavoidable.  We enjoyed the accompanying plate of cured and smoked fish though, and their chicken soup really hit the spot.