Robin Williams (1951-2014), Beloved Comedic Genius and Academy Award Winning Actor

DonRocks

Robin Williams is one of those people you just think will never die, and when it happens, it's unimaginable.

Here's a little tribute to a touching scene of his from Good Will Hunting, for which he won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1997. He was also nominated for Best Actor three times (!), won two Emmy Awards, four Golden Globes, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and five Grammy Awards.

That, my friends, is a career.

---

On a personal note, I wish to express my sorrow about my friend from college, Dee Hunter, whose passing I also found out about today. Dee was one of the nicest people I've ever known.

You probably can't see that link - which is his Facebook page - but I wrote this there earlier today:

One week ago yesterday (August 3rd), I got a post on my Facebook wall from Dee. "Happy Birthday, Don," it said. My birthday is on August 12th, so I deleted the post, and wrote him: "9 days too soon on the happy birthday wish dee, but thank you anyway!!!" I knew Dee had been ill for years now, and it struck me as "unusual" that he'd done this - not troubling, but unusual. Earlier today, I looked to see if he had read my message to him - he hadn't. So I wrote him again early this afternoon: "Dee, *now* I'm thinking about your birthday note that I deleted (but shouldn't have). What are you up to these days? How is your health in the immediate-term? I know you're going through hell, but hopefully you have both good days and bad days instead of being constantly miserable." And I just checked, and saw that he hadn't read my note, so I came over here to his wall, only to find out ... *this*. It wasn't a mistake that Dee had written me that note a week too soon; he was saying goodbye. Thank you for the birthday wishes, dear friend, and I wish more than anything I hadn't deleted that message.

Robin Williams death is deeply shocking and sad.  Horrible for his family and then his friends and professional friends.  Just tragic.

As a fan, also deeply tragic.  The man had astounding versatility.  His humor was unmatched.  His range as an actor was wide and impressive.  Many who knew him in some capacity described him as "kind".  That is a very sweet description.

A striking loss of someone who has been a joyous public figure for about 4 decades.