"Duel" (1971) Directed by Steven Spielberg (His First Film), Produced by George Eckstein, and Starring Dennis Weaver

porcupine

Yep.  It's been so long, though, that I can' really comment on it.  I remember it fondly, but am afraid if I revisit it I'll hate it.  Some memories are better left alone.

You know what? I thought this too, but I saw it within the past year or so and still liked it a good deal. Incidentally, this was written by Richard Matheson who also wrote several Twilight Zone and Star Trek (TOS) episodes.

Since I began studying television (I mean *really studying* it), I'm realizing just how important writers are, and Richard Matheson was one of the best science fiction writers of the 50s and 60s - a good writer makes all the difference in the world in an episode. Commit his name to memory.

On 10/9/2014 at 10:42 AM, DonRocks said:

You know what? I thought this too, but I saw it within the past year or so and still liked it a good deal. Incidentally, this was written by Richard Matheson who also wrote several Twilight Zone and Star Trek (TOS) episodes.

Since I began studying television (I mean *really studying* it), I'm realizing just how important writers are, and Richard Matheson was one of the best science fiction writers of the 50s and 60s - a good writer makes all the difference in the world in an episode. Commit his name to memory.

I *thought* I saw it in the past year; I'd only seen excerpts. I rented the full 90-minute version on Amazon Prime (they released it in the theaters, which is why I'm toying with moving this from the TV Forum to the Film Forum). That said, everyone should allow a nod of respect for the greatness of this made-for-TV movie. I cannot believe a movie this good was on television.

Elizabeth, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. It's Richard Matheson's story, and it's Steven Spielberg's direction - Spielberg did one of the pilot shorts for Night Gallery ("Eyes" with Joan Crawford, as well as the sub-standard "Make Me Laugh," the fourth episode with Godfrey Cambridge and Tom Bosley). The funny thing is, having gone through all the Twilight Zones and all the Night Gallerys, I can say with confidence that there were moments of "Duel" that were absolutely "Twilight Zone-influenced," even though Spielberg never did any Twilight Zones. Matheson, however, did: He wrote numerous episodes, and Spielberg somehow merged the two - if you're a Twilight Zone fan, you'll have no trouble picking them out - the influence of Rod Serling was greater than most people remember, one reason being that he influenced Spielberg.

Considering this was made-for-TV, it's a fantastic movie, and it's absolutely obvious, especially in retrospect, that we're watching the early work of a genius.

I could give this film a couple of nicks: Dennis Weaver was good, not great, (but good enough). However, the extras we meet along the way were almost universally bad - I can't think of one person off the top of my head who I would say even gave an "average" performance, from the fighting man in the bar, to the owner of Snakerama. Incidentally, there was one scene in this film that made me scream out loud, like a woman who just saw a mouse - you'll know which one it is if you see it.

I don't know how you'd feel about the realism of the driving - the truck driver was Carey Loftin, who was apparently an uber-stunt driver. There's no doubting the quality of the stunt driving in this film, but I'm not sure how realistic some of the physics is (also, there were a couple times I asked myself, 'Why doesn't Dennis Weaver just get out of his car and walk up a hill?', but this film drifts into allegory and metaphysics. Of note: the driver's name was Mann, and the car was a Valiant.

• Like 1

I don't know how you'd feel about the realism of the driving - the truck driver was Carey Loftin, who was apparently an uber-stunt driver. There's no doubting the quality of the stunt driving in this film, but I'm not sure how realistic some of the physics is (also, there were a couple times I asked myself, 'Why doesn't Dennis Weaver just get out of his car and walk up a hill?', but this film drifts into allegory and metaphysics. Of note: the driver's name was Mann, and the car was a Valiant.

"Duel: Ten Things To Know About The Movie" by Jerry Frebowitz on moviefanfare.com

I'm sure you can guess how I feel about the realism of driving. :rolleyes:   An "unreal" event in a movie just pops me right out of the fictional world and suddenly I remember that I'm in a theater or my own house, and I hate when that magic spell is broken.  I think most people who are expert in some area feel that way when the area isn't depicted correctly.

Guess Duel is going to the top of my list now.

I'm sure you can guess how I feel about the realism of driving. :rolleyes:   An "unreal" event in a movie just pops me right out of the fictional world and suddenly I remember that I'm in a theater or my own house, and I hate when that magic spell is broken.  I think most people who are expert in some area feel that way when the area isn't depicted correctly.

Guess Duel is going to the top of my list now.

Yes, and that's why I'm warning you in advance - I do hope you appreciate Carey Loftin (who is actually credited at the beginning several times, but nobody knows who he is - I just realized this last night).

Do keep in mind, however, that the truck has an almost superhuman, invincible, Terminator-like quality to it - there's one scene where it's sitting in a tunnel, waiting like a lion for its prey, and the lights pop on - they're like a cat's eyes. If you think of it in that surreal light - anthropomorphic, yet also machine-like in its detached, unrelenting pursuit, instead of merely "human" - you'll tolerate it much more easily (please *don't* picture yourself behind the wheel of the truck). Stripped of its setting, this is a philosophical film that involves the basics of life, and that's just not something I saw as a ten-year-old.

Reading your first post reminded me that you're a no-BS type of person. Reading your second post got me wondering what I would recommend to you (besides "Duel," that is (which I really think you'd like)). :)

I've seen Duel.  It's just been, like, 30 years or so.  :)  I keep forgetting to re-watch it.

This is stating the blatantly obvious, but Dennis Weaver drives a Valiant in "Duel," which, Film Critic Don Rockwell once mused, was possibly the very first Neo-Western (don't dismiss this hypothesis until you think about it).

And here's a picture of RocinanteValiant.png (NB - "Travels with Charley" is one of the best "beach books" you'll ever read.)

I really paid attention to the Direction of Spielberg two nights ago, and he was truly revolutionary in directing for television - the "shaky camera," the "peering through objects" - Spielberg was a genuine pioneer-Director.