Social Burger, Jades Shopping Center at 350 Maple Avenue W. in Vienna

Website

Location: 350 Maple Avenue West, in the same shopping center that has the UPS Store, on the side of 123 that *doesn't* have Amphora on it.

I can't really say a whole lot about this place as I only noticed it had a "soft" opening yesterday (hence the 'not technically open' quip) and I already had plans with a friend to take advantage of a Bonaroti gift certificate. They didn't have a menu to take with me, but there's one on their website if you scroll down enough - the fare and selection reminds me more of Burger 7 than Elevation or Five Guys.

First impression is that this place seems rather well-placed to do decent business during the work week simply because it's within walking distance of quite a lot of office space across the street. But thanks to the Town of Vienna city council's belief that colorful attention-grabbing signs cause ~Super Zombie AIDS~, the white-on-maroon sign commands little attention from the street as you're whizzing by at 30-35 (no faster, lest Vienna's finest happily give you a ticket for 6+), so word-of-mouth will have to help this place. It's also extremely small inside, with very little seating.

Initial Yelp reviews (all two of them) seem rather positive, with pricing being the biggest complaint.

Other than that, I can't really write much more since I haven't eaten anything there yet. Guess I'll get to that today or some time this week.

I should have read Destruya's post more carefully, as I stopped by today only to find them closed, and with a sign up saying they'll be opening at 4 PM, with no alcohol, and serving only until they run out.

So here I sit, at Al Nakheel, waiting for my Kibbee Nayeh - well, there are certainly worse fates in life.

Just don't go to Social Burger for lunch (yet)!

Cheers,

Rocks

So I finally tried this place last night.

The Good: The burger was well cooked (and cooked well-done - you can't request anything less) and juicy, and I liked the bun's feel and consistency.  The fries come in an order that's just enough for two people to piece off of, but three would be pushing it.  The cane sugar sodas are a nice touch, but it's a bit difficult getting to the fountain when it's busy.

The Bad: For a double-patty burger with cheddar and bacon, a side of fries, a side of their "Social Sauce," and a drink, it cost me a little under 17 bucks to get in and out of here - I emphasize the 'me' part of that, as I didn't have a mouse in my pocket or anyone with me.  Parties of 3-4, ordering conservatively, were walking away from the register with 35-45+ dollar tabs, which is approaching sit-down chain restaurant prices sans appetizer.  They seriously need to figure out a way to more competitively price their product, if the currently high prices aren't just a quirk of their 'soft opening' to raise capital.

One other minor quibble...

...they're using one of those new POS terminals where you sign with your finger for credit purchases.  For some reason, touching the same screen as everyone else is, then *eating* with those very same fingers (no one I saw went back to wash their hands afterwards), doesn't seem like a smart move as we get deeper into flu season, and I sat next to the register - the screen wasn't wiped down during the entire time I was there.

• Like 3

Went for lunch the other day for my first visit. I really liked it. I'm just so tired of every other burger place anywhere near me that this is likely going to be my burger go-to until something else comes up.

Not sure if they do this every month, but they let their customers vote for the next burger of the month. I voted for the nacho burger. This month is, of course, a thanksgiving burger (turkey burger with stuffing and a cranberry-jalepeno jam, I think).