Mia's Pizzas, Cordell Avenue in Bethesda - Owner Melissa Ballinger Relinquishes Control to the Olazzo Team

Mia's Pizzas, 4926 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, is next to Nam's and across the street and a few doors down from Passage to India. It's set back from the sidewalk so it can be hard to see while driving by, especially if you're trying not to slow down too much and annoy the cars behind you. Their website doesn't have much on it yet. Tom's Weekly Dish mentioned that the owner previously worked at Pizzeria Paradiso.

The menu has appetizers (including deviled eggs, little mac and cheese, olives, mini calzones, garlic knots), salads, two sandwiches, a few dinner entrees (salmon, chicken, vegetarian), wood oven pizzas (set combinations or create your own), desserts, and specials.

I started with the three mini calzones, which I liked. The menu said they were ricotta (& basil?), salami & olive, and caramelized onion & gouda, but I received two salami & olive, one caramelized onion, and no ricotta. That was fine so I didn't ask about it. They came with a side of fresh tasting tomato sauce. The salami & olive calzone was small and round with a thin shell that was thicker along the edges, and it was filled with thick, small strips of salami, kalamata olive bits, and cheese. The caramelized onion calzone was flatter, half moon shaped and kinda looked collapsed like the cheese had oozed out and taken over.

The set pizza combinations included more traditional and a few nontraditional toppings like bbq chicken. I chose the combination of sausage, pepperoni and mushrooms. My pizza was fairly big, the size of a plate, and had a thin interior crust and a crispy on the outside, chewy, but then soft on the inside, outer crust. I enjoyed my pizza. I thought the outer crust had a nice texture and a slight smokey flavor, but maybe a tad bland. The toppings were of good quality, and I especially liked the pepperoni.

I had a bite of my friend's dessert"”a really good vanilla cupcake with strawberry frosting. Tom mentions the cupcakes are house-baked, and this one had that homey look with a modest amount of frosting. The cake was moist and not too sweet, and the frosting also was not too sweet with a fresh strawberry flavor and loose, creamy consistency. Service was very friendly. While I wouldn't make a special trip from Clarendon, I'd go back when I'm in the area.

"Sure," I thought to myself, "why not another pizza?" Comet, 2Amys, Mia's in 65 hours...I swear I'm going to have to go on an all-green-veggie diet for a couple of days now.

Mia's is located in the former Il Forno space, more or less across from Passage to India. They've done a nice job brightening up the room, some of the servers are uniformed, and it has a general aura of wholesomeness to it. Melissa was busily making the rounds, keeping an eye on everything, and chatting with the diners; apparently their WaPo review is due out the 17th, and they seemed nervously hopeful for a good rating.

The pizzas are a good size, beautifully thin, with a soft crust that crisps just enough in the oven to maintain structural integrity. They're baked just until the bubbles begin to brown; I would have liked them darker and just beginning to char, but that's personal preference. Lightly topped, the default cheese is buffalo mozzarella on the margherita ($10), but "fresh mozzarella" means rounds of fior di latte as on the "Mia's pizza" ($8).

I liked the texture of the crust quite a bit, but agree with Chris and Alan that the pizzas were rather bland. They'd be terrific if at least one ingredient had some assertiveness (let's face it, the pizza at Lombardi's in NoLita would also be kind of monotonous if not for the pure essence of tomato they get out of their deceptively simple-looking sauce) but I didn't find it. The sauce disappeared into a suggestion of tomato, the basil chiffonade topping the margherita looked generous enough but was absent the powerful aroma of fresh basil, and the crust itself didn't have any real flavor beyond the cornmeal used to dust the peel. Interestingly, the fresh mozz packs more flavor than the bufala, which also seemed to be applied in lighter pieces. This could be a fantastic pizza with the right toppings; a tastier sauce would do the trick. I might have to try it with something a little spicy and oily next time...maybe the sausage.

First time at Mia's tonight--my wife had "Mia's" and I had the sausage/pepperoni/mushroom pizza. I finised mine, but Geri brought some home. Both were excellent--mine had ample char, with even a bit of char on the pepperoni. All the toppings were generous without being overwhelming. Ol ironstomach will be glad to know that the sausage does adds both oil and spice. And the sausage is very tasty. As others have noted, the crust could be kicked up just a shade, but I honestly don't know that I would have noticed, had I not read the previous posts before going.

We're so happy that Mia's is here--it just halved the distance we have to drive to get good pizza. (Two Amy's being the next closest.)

With two salads, the pizzas, and sodas, we got out for just over $40, including tip.

Mia's continues to improve. The other night they were definitely baking to a darker level than before, even with a bit too much char - my crust was starting to char around the rim, and not just the bubbles. Still, it was a step in the right direction; if they backed it off a smidge now, the crust would be just right. The dough is still stretched fabulously thin without losing stiffness.

The "special" was (IIRC) a combination of ham, pepperoni, hot peppers(?), pesto, fontina and provolone, and maybe something else. I thought that proportions and levels of spicyness were just about perfect, but that this particular flavor combo didn't really come together for me; the pesto and cheeses sort of plastered the rest into place. But now I'm dying to go back for a margherita with some sausage now.

Also noted, half-priced bottles on Wednesdays for at least a portion of their winelist.

Got takeout last night and must say that Mia's is a legitimate top notch pizza place for Bethesda and the area. We've not been to Comet, but I'd put this pizza a slight notch below Two Amy's and competitive with Pizza Paradiso. We had the portobello, fontina and pine nuts special and also the pepperoni/sausage/mushroom combination. They were really good, espcially the flavors on the special. The crust is a bit "crackery" and not as authentic as Two Amy's but still quite good. And the pizzas are less expensive than Two Amy's, in the $10-$12 range. Also enjoyed the chocolate cupcakes with cheesecake frosting.

Great to have another good pizza choice, especially for those in the Bethesda/lower MontCo area.

Went to Mia's Friday night and confirmed what most visitors have experienced: Good quality of crust that does need ingredients to add flavor.

The pizza is why people are coming, so I'll start there. Three out of four of us added sausage, which is the perfect accompaniment for slight spice (though I'd like a tiny bit more kick) and added grease. My friend and I were both eyeing several of the same other toppings so we decided to split them: I got the red onions, pepperoni, and smoked gouda (in addition to the fresh mozzerella that already comes with the Mia version) and he added salami,basil, and olives. The clear winners were the red onions (perfect sweetness paired with the sausage) and the salami (added a kick of salt which would be a wonderful and simple improvement to the crust). The only disappointment was the smoked gouda, which had no hint of smokiness and amazingly less flavor than the fresh mozzarella alone. As for char, it was there on the bottom and the bubbles of the edges, which for me was fine.

To note, we also tried the prosciutto and olive plate as well as a potato bruschetta. Prosciutto was ok but not near the level of Dino's or Two Amy's and the potato bruschetta was little bland, probably mostly b/c you're pairing carb with carb.

Few things that might help folks when making plans...the place itself is smaller than I pictured so expect a table wait at peak dining times. The bar area is small, too, so it can be uncomfortable avoiding the table of two directly behind it if you can't score one of the 6 or so bar seats. Lastly we started off next door at Caddie's for drinks, which worked out ok though the hostess wasn't too keen on the idea even though she told us we had a 25 minute wait.

Pax,

Brian

I went there with my girlfriend last Wednesday and it is certainly promising. One thing to note is that they only have 4 wines at 1/2 price on Wednesdays and the list looked mediocre from what I could tell.

The pizza was good but lacked that kick of either Two Amys or Pizzeria Paradiso. The crust is the most noticeable difference as it is more bready and was cooked less that Two Amys. The crust also was thicker which has its advantages and disadvantages but it doesnt have that airy quality that Two Amys has. The quality of the toppings looked pretty good but just seemed to lack that oomph. We also had the cupcakes which were OK. The dining space is a bit small so there could be long waits in the future but there are lots of places to eat/drink around it. The service was spotty as our server was certainly very nice but wasn't attentive as we would have liked her to be.

I look forward to going there again but given the choice I would still choose Two Amys, with its 20 min extra drive, long waits, and sparse parking over this.

I took the kids there for a late dinner last week while in Bethesda running some errands.

I agree with the general consensus - they are cooking the crust properly now, but it probably needs more oil in the pan while the dough is rising to get a better flavor. It's not good when an overabundance of cornmeal on the peel is granting the dough flavor.

I thought the white pizza was great - a good amount of garlic and just the right amount of cheese. But maybe they were substituting for their regular sausage, as the stuff I had on the sausage, pepperoni, and mushroom pie was definitely the blandest sausage I have ever eaten. Pepperoni was decent, though, and the mushrooms were fresh and first rate.

Two pies and a salad were too much for me and the kids, but probably would have been just the right amount of food had my wife joined us (she got the leftovers the next day).

Certainly not as good as 2 Amy's, but closer and easier parking will probably put it into our regular rotation.

This is spurred by Al Dente's question. Little more than a week ago I went to Pizza Zero and thought it was good pizza but not as good as Mia's a few blocks away. My wife and I were in Bethesda Sunday and stopped by Mia's again to find that there's a much larger gap between the two than I had remembered. Despite the slow business, Sunday's lunch was our best of our three Mia's experiences. Compared to Pizza Zero, Mia's had better crust, superior cheese, and decent (but not great) toppings. This last visit made me realize I'd probably only go back to Pizza Zero if I wanted an empanada or was looking to explore other non-pizza items.

For what it's worth...

Pax,

Brian

I stopped by there recently for lunch with a friend. It certainly cured my pizza jones.

I had a sausage and onion pie that was out of this world.

The service was a little stiff but once I got the kids to crack a smile, they were really wonderful.

The space is inviting.

Big tummy rubs from me.

Just got back from Mia's with my 5 year old boy. The place was packed by 12:30- a wait, actually. We sat at the bar to watch all the action in the kitchen.

I really like this place. I used to go to Red Tomato all the time for my pizzas- they had good pizzas and a nice endive salad that I would always get.

What I really like about Mia's is the whole menu- not just the pizzas. The owner there has really chosen some unique dishes and she definitely knows quality. I got the beet salad with mango and oranges. Very good- and healthy. My boy got one of their yummy cupcakes, as usual. Deviled eggs are good. I watched the guy at the non-pizza station and everything he was making looked really good- and very creative... like a bbq chicken sandwich, various salads, perfectly portioned mussels, mozzarella and tomatoes, etc. And, I love Blue Moon beer, which they have on tap.

I just like the place- I've never gotten anything unexceptional there, except for maybe the meatball sliders, which needed sauce. The pizzas are fine- I'm not an expert on pizzas- hell, my 2 favorite places for pizza are Ledo's and CPK, but I've dined everywhere and for the price and what it is, I think Mia's is a great place to have in the neighborhood.

Well, what a difference a year makes. Mia's Pizzas has lots of business now, last night being completely full at 5:30 thanks to a party of 21. There was only a brief lull between the time they left, and when it became full once again.

The Deviled Eggs are still $3.95 for four halves, and are still very good - there's something bland and homey about them that works, especially with a glass of their Entre Deux Mers from Chateau Les Arromans ($7.00).

More importantly, the pizzas are a lot better than what I had here a year ago. A Mia's ($8.95) with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and oregano, with additional toppings of red bell pepper ($1.25), pepperoni and sausage ($1.75 each) was full of moisture and flavor without being at all gloppy. Likewise, a Salsiccia ($12.75) with tomato sauce, sausage, pepperoni, slice protobellos, oregano, hot pepper, parmesan, and mozarella was just the way I wanted it, flavorful but balanced.

These pizzas are very good, and it's because of the toppings; I'm afraid they can never be great unless the crust improves. Like before, the crust is a little too dense and somewhat flavorless, although the effects are minimized by the toppings. I don't know the details of how the dough is made, but it comes across to me as fairly ordinary. If Mia's can work on their crust, getting that yeasty rise and a good blister out of it, they'll have some of the very best pizzas in town. As it stands now? I'll happily return.

Cheers,

Rocks.

For people who don’t want to wait for pizza at 2 amys, I’m not sure that directing them to mia’s pizzas is good advice. Around 6:00 on a recent drizzly Sunday evening, a small herd was forming at the front of the restaurant, spilling out onto the patio, waiting for a table.

however, the pizza we had was impressively good and well worth waiting for: zucchini, mozzarella, tomato sauce, pine nuts and garlic on a nice hard, chewy crust that did have a yeasty rise and well-baked flavor, although it could have opened up just a bit further. The toppings are conventionally more generous than you will find at 2 amys or comet, and the pies are big enough that there’s no question that one is enough to feed two people. The pizza was given a dusting of parmesan at the table, and it had just about the right amount of everything, including char.

A lightly dressed salad of watercress, radicchio and sliced mushrooms was good, too. Mac and cheese is appropriately soft, pale white and as milky as it is cheesy, with the scantest of toasted crumb flavor, under-seasoned and aimed at comforting more than anything else, if that’s the way you like it.

i had a glass of the entre deux mer, and while i really wasn't focusing on the list of wines by the glass, i have the impression that they must have improved since tom sietsema complained about them in his review. they seemed to be as good as what i would be able to find at whole foods, which was the standard he said they failed to meet.

Eating Mia's pizza has actually made me notice the subtle differences in pizzas. I usually toss the crust rinds aside on most pizzas. At Mia's, I order an extra side of red sauce for dipping crusts into- they're really great in flavor and texture.

I think my only complaint about Mia's is that they use raw vegetables on their pizzas. I prefer my pizza toppings sweated first (mushrooms, peppers, spinach, etc.), so as to not make the pizza watery. Minor complaint, though- I just choose my own ingredients to avoid this problem.

Tonight there was no problem to get a table. Even when we left at around 7:30 - small wait for an outside table but there were still tables available inside.

Pizza excellent, service had a few glitches but nothing too out of line.

The desserts could use a little work - something was missing from the gelato.

For people who don't want to wait for pizza at 2 amys, I'm not sure that directing them to mia's pizzas is good advice. Around 6:00 on a recent drizzly Sunday evening, a small herd was forming at the front of the restaurant, spilling out onto the patio, waiting for a table.

I've work around the corner from Mia's and it's swiftly becoming a favorite. I usually get a salad and share a pizza with a coworker. My favorite salads are ones with their blue cheese in it, it's awesome stuff. My favorite pizza was the alsace pizza with carmelized onions, procuittio and gruyere. Nothing wrong with that.

You know the drill. You've been under the weather. Work is piling up. You have housegusts :lol:. You're exhausted. You haven't showered or changed clothes, nor do you give a damn. All you want to do is get away for one precious hour, and not be seen, heard, or recognized.

Oh yes, my friends, tonight I was there. Looking like I was at death's door, I wrapped a burka around myself and pointed the car away from DC. It was a Tuesday night, and I was hell-bent on avoiding anyone I knew.

It was a chilly evening, too chilly to be flopping around in shorts on the patio. We sat by the woodpile. My young dining companion was in a cheap T-shirt, with a decal of Mario and Luigi running away from a wind-up bomb. He'd just gotten his hot chocolate ($3.00) in a sleek, metallic twenty-ounce pitcher, and I was nursing a pint of Sam Adams Oktoberfest ($6.00), forced into drinking beer by a wine list plagued with Montgomery County-itis.

The pizza arrived. A Plain Jane calzone ($11.75) with mozzarella, ricotta, and pepperoni ($1.75) for him, and a Salsiccia ($12.95) for me, with tomato sauce, sausage, pepperoni, portobello mushroom, oregano, hot pepper, parmesan, and mushroom (doesn't that sound good?) The tomato-sauce dip with the Plain Jane was chilled, and not to my taste, but that was quickly forgotten when the server came over and grated some fresh parmesan.

The crust is fluffier than it used to be, much lighter and more delicate. The mozzarella in both the pizza and calzone was high-quality. We both had a stylistic preference for the well-balanced Salsiccia.

We had just started digging into the pizzas, when I heard a voice to my left:

"Don Rockwell?!"

Heh. There's a rule in this world: If you want to run into an old friend, make sure to go somewhere looking like a mongrel. The gods will hunt you down, and you'll have no choice but to laugh about it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I continue to enjoy Mia's pizzas for the pizza which is excellent and the added this special fig, blue cheese and procuitto bruchetta appetizer that is out of this world good. However I've yet to enjoy any of their deserts. I was excited to see Affogoto on the menu but their ice cream was too icy and the expresso tasted burnt and way too bitter to be enjoyed. And their ice box cake, again had this bizarre texture where the ice cream was rock hard, the cookies were tough and gumby and the fruit was tasteless. Feh.

I definitely continue to enjoy Mia's. Tonight we had a plain Margharita with buffalo mozzarella and basil, we also had the special - Sprimp, asparagus and ramps. The ramps were a little overly powerful, so maybe some garlic and scallions would have been a better way to go.

Their crust is top notch, regardless of the toppings having been there several times in the last month and never been disappointed - crispy but not burnt, exactly what pizza should be.

As to desserts, I can say despite trying more than a few times, I have never had a dessert here that I truly enjoyed and was worth the calories. Tonight we got the strawberry shortcake, the strawberry's were flavorful and the creme nice but the cookie (or cake) that it was on was definitely missing something. Kind of crunchy and missing something as opposed to sweet and moist.

Bottom line - Great Pizza, nice apps (didn't get any tonight but always put a smile on my face), but you probably want to go somewhere else for dessert.

On a sort of pizza odyssey, had dinner at Mia's tonight. I had the Margherita and my husband had Salsicce, as well as a pleasant salad and a bottle of wine (turns out Wednesday is half price wine night). Judging on crust, I liked it but found it a bit too bready. The crust at M Cafe we had a few nights ago was better and toppings had more intense flavor.

Still, Mia's is a nice neighborhood place. They were doing a good business at 9 on a Wednesday night. Service was friendly and efficient.

I've been to Mia's about five times now, each visit spread apart from the last, and I've seen a general upward trend in what this restaurant is putting out. Unfortunately, last night was an odious blip.

The server was friendly and courteous, and happily obliged when I asked for a small taste of the Sauvignon Blanc and Trebbiano d'Abruzzo before committing to a bottle of the Trebbiano ($24).

A small plate of Meatballs ($6.75) was the highlight of the evening, made with ground beef, veal, and pork, and served piping hot in a ramekin with a wonderfully zesty, oily tomato sauce alongside a piece of toasted focaccia for sopping up the sauce.

Mia's sources all their summer produce from Normans Farm Market, and I couldn't resist a daily special of Local Summer Vegetable Salad ($6.75) with fantastic, small, sweet white corn, tough and fibrous green and yellow beans, zucchini, grape tomatoes, sweet red onion, mixed greens, and a well-applied Dijon-sherry vinaigrette. This was a good overall salad, but not quite as good as it sounds, mainly because it was dominated by the beans which should probably be emphasized a bit less.

Right after I ordered my appetizers, I asked for a small side of House-Baked Focaccia (95 cents with a salad), mainly because I didn't realize the meatballs would come with bread. Unfortunately, there was a miscommunication, and I got the full appetizer portion ($3.50) which included four pieces of store-bought-quality bread and a horrendous-tasting dipping sauce of bitter olive oil, grated parmesan, some pepper flakes, shredded basil, and balsamic. I realize that doesn't sound bad at all, but the combination of bitter (oil), sweet (vinegar) and sandy funk (cheese) makes me wonder how anyone actually finishes this. It was left relatively untouched, with half the bread uneaten. I was wondering all along if this was the 95-cent portion, but when the check came, alas, my hopes were dashed.

The pizzas were off too, in particular the crust which was medium-thin, but too chewy and dense. My daily special of Local Summer Tomato and Basil Pesto Pizza ($13.25) was by far the stronger pizza, mainly because the basil was painted on the entire circumference of the pie, lending desperately needed moisture. The red and yellow tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan were a good combination, the juices from the tomato adding even more welcome liquids. Not so with the Alsace ($12.95), a can't-miss-sounding combination of pancetta, gruyere, parmesan, caramelized onion, and thyme. It came out very dry, and got even drier as it sat, the caramelized onions being the only salvation. Towards the end of the meal, there was actually a physical fatigue that set in from eating the pizzas - I literally got tired of chewing.

And then I walked out, and began strolling around a bit. Cordell Avenue houses some of the best restaurants in Bethesda (Passage To India, Grapeseed, Faryab), but also a whole host of others that aren't good. And yet, the ones with patios were packed, and I saw plate-after-plate of terrible-looking food - bad sandwiches, frozen fries, gummy-looking pastas - and it hit me that I had a really off meal at Mia's, yes, but Mia's - even on a night like this - is still better than most of its competitors in the vicinity, and is, unlike them, worth paying attention to.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Um, I finally got here, and the crust is nice and thin. The salt is done correctly. The margherita was quite nice. Have I had better in this style? Yes (in Italy). But this is pretty darn good pizza, if a little expensive for what it is and what you get. The space is nice and the chairs are actually comfortable. Service was attentive. I'll be back. The bonus is it is a 3 min walk from my office.

I am almost always disappointed by pizza. I am in a never-ending search for a crispy crust and I almost never find it. Mia's Pizzas is one of the only places around where I've been satisfied with the crust. (The other is Potenza in DC) I am also a big fan of Mia's chopped romaine salad with beets and bacon. I haven't been to Mia's in a while but I'm looking forward to a return visit sometime soon. Here's hoping I get my crispy crust!

Been over a year since I've been to Mia's, but I'll never go back. Prices are ridiculous for ordinary pizza. Ordered tomatoes on a pizza as a topping and instead of slices, got TWO grape tomatoes cut in half. What a joke. Pathetically few limp onions, too. When I complained in writing, the owner said she'd send me a gift certificate to compensate. I'm still waiting. Much better off at Pete's New Haven Style Apizza. It's worth the drive to Friendship Heights.

Been over a year since I've been to Mia's, but I'll never go back. Prices are ridiculous for ordinary pizza. Ordered tomatoes on a pizza as a topping and instead of slices, got TWO grape tomatoes cut in half. What a joke. Pathetically few limp onions, too. When I complained in writing, the owner said she'd send me a gift certificate to compensate. I'm still waiting. Much better off at Pete's New Haven Style Apizza. It's worth the drive to Friendship Heights.

It's a little pricey, I'll give you that, but I still think it's quite good.

Now, Pete's...in Friendship Heights. You have an address? And is it more styled to Frank Pepe? Or Sally's? Or Modern apizza? Sally's was closed, but I had the other two plus a few more. I actually preferred Modern's by far.

I don't think the pricing at Mia's is out of line with other similar pizza joints in the area. Did a quick review of on-line menus for a Margherita pizza (not all list the sizes of their pies but should give a rough idea):

Mia's - $12.95

2 Amy's - $11.95

Pizzeria Paradisio - $10.25 (8"); $16.50 (12")

Red Rocks - $12.00

Pizza Orso - $13.00

Pete's - $25.95 (18")

I've had two very good work lunches here in the past month. The first time we split two specials, the autumn spinach salad and the wild mushroom pizza, and both were so good that we ordered the same the second time. Great flavor & some char on the pizza crust. Service was great, with both a waiter and the chef/owner serving & checking on us. Plus superb French-pressed coffee. I would come back even if it wasn't two blocks from my office.

Went again and will be back. They get the crust done really properly. It's a toss-up for actual flavor of said crust. My wife thinks Two Amy's crust *tastes* better, but to get a Two Amy's pizza where the pie is not thin and soggy in the middle is a crapshoot. I think I prefer Mia's slightly more.

Also tried their meatball appetizer which was good, but made finishing the pie a tad difficult.

Their wines by the glass price are a little high, but still in the acceptable range.

Dinner here tonight with family was the usual excellent meal. I think the pizzas here are consistently better than Two Amy's, where we have ended up with soupy pizzas far too often.

Started with the deviled eggs and and house salad - kids love the deviled eggs here.

They have added a kids pizza to the menu ($6.95), which is great for us with two young kids. Noticed they also offer a kids pasta option.

I went with my usual - Meatball Pie. Can't go wrong with this option - consistently solid.

I don't think this place gets as much attention as it deserves. Solid pizzas, decent affordable wines by the glass, and cupcakes that my kids claim are better than Georgetown.

We arrived shortly before 6 and were seated right away but as we left the place was packed.

Not so enthralled with the chopped romaine salad I just ordered to go. $8 for a small bowl of chopped romaine with a little boiled eggs. a sprinkle of bacon, a few chopped beets & a couple of grape tomatoes, and none of the promised gorgonzola.* Paying $3.50 extra for 4 tiny strips of warmed up chicken hasn't improved my estimation. Will stick with other menu items.

(I called about the gorgonzola & advised them to watch who is making them in case it's someone new. They did offer to give me some to go, but I don't have time to walk back over from work.)

*I forgot to add - not quite enough dressing, either.

Had dinner tonight with the little guy. I offered him a choice between pizza and mussels but he wanted both. Opted for Mia's in the hope it would be quieter.

We dined indoors as there was a strong smell from a nearby trash can in the outdoor area. We had the indoors to ourselves. Service was good but slow. The server interacted well with the little guy but checked with me to make sure the order was right.

We has mussels and cauliflower to start followed by the Mia's pizza. I thought everything was seriously under seasoned.

We had fun, it was a nice evening out but it also pricey.

Will keep it in mind fir future Bethesda outings though.

We hadn't eaten here in a while and are happy to report that the pizzas we ate at Mia's last night were as great as ever. We had the Mia's, a little tomato sauce topped with mozzarella and the mushroom, mixed shrooms and cheese, both perfect. For us, it's all about the crust. Mia's crust is thin, but chewy, yeasty and salty, with a nice char and, thankfully, not a bit of soupiness.

We went to lunch there today. Uassaly the food and service are great but today they were fireing on one cylinder rather than all 6. The food was served warm bordering on cold and we had to ask for most things we wanted several times.

I would have complained to the manager but every time I tried to wave him down he ignored me. My wife told him that things were off and he said, "OK".

Hopefully this is a once in a blue moon occurance.

Unfortunately, the spotty service is a problem. We were there on Wednesday (no sign of Melissa, but the goofy new manager was there) and the pizza was great as always. I asked the waitress to put my leftover pizza in a box and she dropped a piece on the floor. She didn't apologize, she didn't replace the pizza, and she jammed the rest in a small foil container. Bit of a bummer.

Hopefully this is a once in a blue moon occurance.

They had a Living Social expiration date this weekend (I know because I couldn't use mine). I wonder if that put them in the weeds/off their game. That said, I've had pretty inattentive service there before.

After having been to all three Moco sites recently (CS, DaMarco and Mia) - Da Marco is at the bottom of this list and Mia's is at the top.

I completely agree with that ranking. Mia's salsiccia is my favorite pizza in the area right now.

On 4/1/2013 at 10:25 AM, mtureck said:

I completely agree with that ranking. Mia's salsiccia is my favorite pizza in the area right now.

I love that pie!

Anyone been to PDM in the last 2-3 months? I ask because coworkers say it is very good, but I tend to be more critical of good versus average vs bad than they are. Wondering if it is worth the experiment to try again.