Winter Soups

Pool Boy

We're planning on a chestnut and celery root soup for our Thanksgiving menu with family.

Man, I am really, really craving a consommé. Need to hit up Ghibellina maybe for their francobolli in brood. Or maybe an upcoming Breadfurst may feature a small portion?

---

[Note: The "Winter Soups" thread in the Washington, DC Restaurants and Dining forum is here.]

Recently, I made a duck stock, w/ a carcass from the first duck I chopped up, it's very gelatinous, heated up w/ scallions, mushrooms, bits of chicken or shrimp, & a touch of commercial Tom yum paste (chiles, oil), I think it's a very good fall/winter soup.

Recently, I made a duck stock, w/ a carcass from the first duck I chopped up, it's very gelatinous, heated up w/ scallions, mushrooms, bits of chicken or shrimp, & a touch of commercial Tom yum paste (chiles, oil), I think it's a very good fall/winter soup.

I love gelatinous

I made a marvelous soup with an orange cauliflower recently.  About equal parts of homemade chicken stock and chopped up cauliflower in a 6-qt pot, plus one small sweet potato and a big clove of garlic, boiled about 12 minutes -- until the cauliflower lost the strong cabbage-y smell, took off the heat, whizzed together with an immersion blender, added salt and white pepper and about a teaspoon of garam masala.  It was lovely to see,  thick and creamy, and delicious.  I've got more cauliflower so I'll be makiing that again soon.

I recently made a fantastic winter soup from a recipe on the Food52 site.  It's called Caul-do-Verde and is a variation on the traditional Caldo Verde.  The soup had really great flavors.  It was a bit time-consuming to prepare, but so worth it.  You roast cauliflower which has been tossed with EVOO, smoked paprika, cumin, and S&P.  The roasted cauliflower is added to sauteed onions and garlic and chicken stock and then it's all pureed (I used my Vita-Mix).  Sausage, mustard greens, and parsley are added to the puree and it's cooked further.  This soup was SO creamy, you'd think there was actual cream in it.  I used a golden cauliflower and Tuscan chicken sausage.  Just fabulous!

• Like 1

Tonight is a perfect night for soup- it may be the last of the beautiful fall weather, going to get cold tomorrow. So, soup mashup- some of that duck stock, w/ leftover sautéed veg-mushrooms, scallions, cabbage, sauerkraut, bacon, smoked paprika-heavy on the cabbage, light on the broth.

Last night's soup was pretty good:  4 leeks chopped, sauteed in olive oil with a clove of garlic, about 6 ounces of ham chopped & thrown in, 3 medium-large yellow squash roughly chopped, about 1 & 1/2 quarts of chicken stock, S&P, a couple of teaspoons of dried dill and about a tablespoon of ground coriander.  

• Like 1

I know I'm not invited to your T'giving, but I vote for celeriac.

You'll be happy to know that it's in the running! Although I did see a dairy free Carrot-ginger soup with Harissa on Serious Eats last night. I would probably leave out the Harissa so guests don't get overheated.

• Like 1