RAWR Sushi - Quick Service Japanese Behind Springfield Plaza on Backlick Road

According to Northern Virginia Magazine, Little City Gourmet closed in January.  In its place will be Urban Pantry. The article provides more information including the following:

I hate to say this wasn't a surprise, but it wasn't - Little City Gourmet was doomed from day one.

An interesting corner of Springfield is at the corner of Backlick and Commerce -- kitty corner from Mike's is Springfield Plaza, and in the back corner facing both Backlick and Commerce is the amazingly good Flame Kabob, only a few steps away from Veronica's bakery (the Latino equivalent of Le Bledo and Dalat, which in turn is the Vietnamese equivalent of Veronica's), and opening soon, Bento Box Sushi.

Sushi options in this neck of the woods are slim, so this will be a welcomed addition. I'll keep an eye on the space and provide updates.

By the way, across Commerce is Bangkok Noodle and Merkamo Ethiopian, so within a short walk there's some significant eats. This corner of Springfield is on a par with the Brookfield Plaza, not even a mile farther south on Backlick.

[My favorite name for a road in the entire Metropolitan area is Backlick. It would be my second favorite name if there was a Frontlick, but alas, there is not.]

Update - "Bento Box Sushi Opening Soon" is still a window sign, but above the door in shopping plaza-compliant red letters is "RAWR Sushi" -- there appears to be only one other location of RAWR Sushi in the area, over at the plaza in Lorton where Glory Days and Shopper's Food Warehouse have the major footprints. RAWR Sushi is still not open in this Springfield location.

Just a heads up, I saw the "Open" signs at RAWR Sushi at the back end of Springfield Plaza on Backlick Road. I haven't been in the place yet, but will soon check it out. It advertizes "quick service" Japanese food, and the menu includes the full range of sushi options along with ramen and a variety of Japanese entrees.

RAWR Sushi doesn't appear to be a chain. You can order online through Square for take-out.

Lady KN and sushi-loving daughter joined me for lunch at RAWR Sushi today. I found out that "RAWR" is Internet slang for "love" so that's why they named it. Those kinds of tidbits continue to remind me how old I'm getting.

RAWR Sushi is a small place that delivers a few items in 'fast food' tempo, although my experience today wasn't all that fast. It's a small place where you put your order in at the counter and then sit along the wall at counters facing out into the small courtyard next to the restaurant. Everything looked fast, as in styrofoam plates and cups, cafeteria trays, little plastic cups for the soy sauce....and no liquor license yet. However, the food itself is good and the prices are reasonable.

We had a few rolls (Philadephia, salmon-avocado, shrimp tempura) and some nigiri (tuna, salmon, eel, shrimp) and some sashimi (tuna, salmon, white tuna, yellowtail and snapper). Everything was good, with the salmon rising to the level of great. The tuna was just so-so.

They set themselves apart from some of the competition by delivering within a 3-mile radius, and by allowing orders to be placed online for pickup. RAWR would not be my first choice for sushi in the Springfield area, but when I'm in that neighborhood and want to grab some 'quick' sashimi, at least there is a reasonable option.

• Like 1