"Idiocracy" (2006), Produced and Directed by Mike Judge - Satirical Science-Fiction Comedy with a Cult Following

Al Dente

On 12/29/2014 at 4:09 PM, Mark Slater said:

This one of my favorite movies, too. I think a fun film to pair with it would be Mike Judge's Idiocracy. Non stop gags set in the future. I won't spoil it with a plot summary. It made me think what our country would be like if the 2008 vice presidential candidate had been elected.

I loved Idiocracy, despite its inconsistent quality. There is some hilarious satire in it and I think it ain't too far from the truth at the rate we're going. Can't you imagine a day where you can get your college degree at Costco?

Well, I'm off to get a hand job at Starbucks.

• Like 1

I loved Idiocracy despite its inconsistent quality. There is some hilarious satire in it and I think it ain't too far from the truth at the rate we're going. Can't you imagine a day where you can get your college degree at Costco?

Two thumbs up to you, Mark and Idiocracy.  How that film is not a major hit escapes me.  I hope it's a cult hit, but I'm not sure.  We're surely heading down that path as most of the smart young people in my office are putting off having children until they can "afford it" (which of course is smart and nobel and the right thing to do, but they can actually afford it now).  Meanwhile, it my daughter's 10th grade class, a classmate is pregnant and planning on the raising the baby.  

I loved Idiocracy despite its inconsistent quality. There is some hilarious satire in it and I think it ain't too far from the truth at the rate we're going. Can't you imagine a day where you can get your college degree at Costco?

When we first saw this movie, at home but not long after it came out, we thought it was funny but quite terrible. Almost a decade later, we are still regularly quoting it (and will be doing more so in the future, I imagine, as we approach the potential election of a President Camacho), so... :blink:

When we first saw this movie, at home but not long after it came out, we thought it was funny but quite terrible. Almost a decade later, we are still regularly quoting it

Yup, this is exactly right. Judge should be a household name for satire: Beavis & Butt-head, King of the Hill, Office Space, Idiocracy, and HBO's Silicon Valley are all his creations.