La Bohemia, Czech-Owned Bakery in the Former Saint Michel Bakery Space on Wilkins Court in Rockville

I was walking by the former location of the St. Michel bakery and saw a sign for "La Bohemia", a "European-style artisan bakery" that is coming soon.  The sign further said that they will be collaborating with the former owner (I assume Mr. Houlier) and it seems they plan to have some of the St. Michel products (hopefully they'll be making those addictive canneles)

La Bohemia has opened.  The two friendly guys from St. Michel are working the counter (and baking).  The new owners are from the Czech Republic.  They are starting slow- all the breads and pastries are made the way St. Michel made them and with the same ingredients.  I bought some canneles and a bread pudding cupcake and thought they were delicious.   They plan to slowly roll out non-French items such as a Bulgarian bread and a dark, rye-based, sour Russian bread.  The co-owner says she has a special honey cake that will be coming soon.  They are eager to hear feedback and suggestions for additional products.

Really a good group of people making good products that should get our support.

• Like 2

La Bohemia has opened.  The two friendly guys from St. Michel are working the counter (and baking).  The new owners are from the Czech Republic.  They are starting slow- all the breads and pastries are made the way St. Michel made them and with the same ingredients.  I bought some canneles and a bread pudding cupcake and thought they were delicious.   They plan to slowly roll out non-French items such as a Bulgarian bread and a dark, rye-based, sour Russian bread.  The co-owner says she has a special honey cake that will be coming soon.  They are eager to hear feedback and suggestions for additional products.

Really a good group of people making good products that should get our support.

This sounds good enough for a tentative Italic in the Dining Guide.

La Bohemia's website is here; more accurately, "will be here," as it's currently only a shell (*). One suggestion: I would change the word "Mantra" to "About Us" or simply "About."

That will be five dollars one canelé. :)

(*) A pastry shell.

• Like 1

I was excited to hear that La Bohemia is taking over from where St. Michel left off. I really wanted to get the almond croissant, but they were sold out by the time I got there around 3:30p on a Wednesday. They did have a fresh batch of regular croissants that came out of the oven and that is what I got. The croissant was really flakey and nice on the outside, just like  St. Michel's. However, the croissant just isn't the same as St. Michel's. It is still very very good, but St. Michel's (as far as I can remember) is just a tad bit better. In the grand scheme of things, I will still gladly and excitedly visit La Bohemia to get my croissant fix. I am also anxious to try any new non-french items that they may begin to bake in the future.