Meskerem, One Of The Original Ethiopian Restaurants in Washington, DC, Adams Morgan - Closed

15 years ago, when I was an undergrad at GW, Zed's was where I went.

Then I discovered Adams Morgan, and until I moved to the burbs, Fasika's and Meskerem became my regular haunts.

About 4 years ago, I discovered Langano in Silver Spring, and that's where I've had most of my Ethiopian feasts recently. I know the U St. corridor is supposed to be the best these days, but I just haven't made it there yet. I do go to the AFI Silver theater frequently, so Langano is very convenient.

I really liked Harambe at 18th and U, which was very cheap but tasted just as good as Dukem, Zed's or Meskerem. (although I didn't order the kitfo). Other than that (and I'm sure people will jump all over me for saying this) I think Zed's is one of the better places in the city, mainly because the service is much better there than other places. I have to be honest though...I haven't been anywhere further east than 11th and U.

My favorite is Lalibela on 14th St., at the intersection of straight lines from the dupont and mcpherson square metros.

This comes with a caveat- the food is not quite as good as etete or meskerem, as the meat isn't quite as high quality. What you get is a place that's still full of cabbies, however, which is probably what going out for Ethiopian felt like before places started having to take reservations. The staff is very happy to see you and damn impressed if you manage to finish your meal. It's enough off the beaten path that you can generally get a table on a Friday night, as well.

(liberally lumping Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine together...)

Addis Ababa is where I go for Ethiopian in SS these days. The injera could be better, but hardly anyone can afford to use 100% tef anymore; as I understand it, we're down to one producer now in the US. The food is good, slightly better than Meskerem I'd say. Gubeen, aka she-who-craves-kitfo-fortnightly, gives it a big thumbs up.

here's the exchange:

Alexandria, VA:

Hi, I know that you've recommended Etete for Ethiopian dining. Any idea if Meskerem is just as good?

Todd Kliman:

Meskerem is not just as good.

Tim Carman retweeted Adams Moorhen's tweet about Meskerem in Adams Morgan being closed (with a picture of a lease sign).   Sad.  Meskerem was the first Ethiopian restaurant I went to (back in the early 90's).

Hmmm. Now wondering if we have a current Ethiopian thread somewhere, with the operative word being current? A thread where DanielK the more seasoned dad might have commented or where 14th St denizens reported on newer places? May be unrealistic?

We haven't gone for Ethiopian in over a year. My way of taking full blame for Meskerem I guess.

But, looking to redeem ourselves. It's a great cuisine.

Hmmm. Now wondering if we have a current Ethiopian thread somewhere, with the operative word being current? A thread where DanielK the more seasoned dad might have commented or where 14th St denizens reported on newer places? May be unrealistic?

We haven't gone for Ethiopian in over a year. My way of taking full blame for Meskerem I guess.

But, looking to redeem ourselves. It's a great cuisine.

well there's this thread

Somewhat off topic, 18th Street is changing. In addition to Meskerem, New Orleans Cafe is closed. A big restaurant space is going to be a bicycle store.                      Ethiopian restaurants, in particular move where the rents are reasonable.

For years, Meskerem was  the first choice for out of town visitors wanting the Ethiopian restaurant experience. Now there are many more choices.