"American Masterworks from the Corcoran, 1815-1940" - Exhibition At The NGA Feb 7 - May 3, 2015

DonRocks

I stopped in at the National Gallery West Building this past weekend, and on the top floor, near the east side of the building, they have a *lot* of paintings from the Corcoran Gallery crammed into about three rooms - many of these works I've never seen before, and this exhibit is worth a visit if you're already at the National Gallery.

(Note: The East Building is open, but the galleries are all shut off during renovations, and the only works of art on display are the heavy-duty installations such as Scott Burton's Rock Settees - unless you want to see the building itself, it's currently not worth a visit.)

Herschel's recent post about Abraham Lincoln prompts me to post this, as one of the paintings in the Corcoran exhibit is a portrait of Abraham Lincoln, painted in 1860, by George Healy. Standing there, a mere foot away from the portrait, you realize that this is what the man actually looked like. Of note: It is the last painting of Lincoln without a beard.

abraham-lincoln-george-peter-alexander-h

• Like 1