Cling Peaches - What We All Grew (Threw?) Up On, Canned, And With Heavy Syrup

I just found out that "Cling Peaches" (or Clingstone Peaches) are any peaches where the stone "clings" to the flesh, making it difficult to remove the pit. On wisegeek.com I see that various cultivars include Bowen, Klampt, Everts, Starn, Loadel, Ross, Sullivan, Carson, and Halford - none of which I've ever heard of before.

In opposition to Clingstone Peaches (Go Tigers!) are what's known as Freestone Peaches, in which the pit comes out easily.

All throughout my childhood, I suffered through cans of cling peaches, not knowing that one day I'd be working with a website on which they're fully on-topic. For whatever reason, the peaches were misery; the pears were tolerable; and the fruit cocktail was an absolute treat. Why? I have no idea why. It might have been the occasional maraschino cherry.

"Different Kind Of Peaches" by Desmond Lane at Clemson University in South Carolina: The Peach Capital Of The United States. Yes, that's right. More peaches are grown in South Carolina than are grown in Georgia, "The Peach State." Only California grows more peaches, and California doesn't count. At Clemson, "USC" is the University of South Carolina.

giantpeach.gif <--- This is what you see driving down I-85 in South Carolina, Exit 92C.

Why do you know about this song?

I'm trying to think of *anything* to like about it, and am coming up empty.

It was a Top 40 song in 1996, and Top 10 on the rock charts. Still gets regular airplay on DC101. Anytime I hear the word peaches, I immediately have to answer "peaches for me."

Lump was their bigger hit.

• Like 1

right around the 4th of July, head to a little town near Southern Pines, NC called Windblow.  It has a variety of peach developed there and named after the town, a freestone yellow peach, and it is the peachiest tasting peach you'll ever eat.  It's what you yearn for in the dead of winter when you dream of eating fresh peaches again.

When my mom was still alive, i always went to visit over the 4th and would drive back with 3-4 bushels of peaches in the back of my car for distribution to friends and neighbors and a baking party with a pal of mine.  With Mom gone, I don't have the need to go down there anymore, and the locally-available peaches are good enough, but I sure hope some of the growers around here plant Windblows when they need to put new trees in.

Hate to say it, but that song was the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic, & probably the only thing I can relate to- fresh peaches are great, dried apricots are awesome, & so is that song. I don't think I've eaten a canned peach in years.

Does anyone else HATE peach fuzz? I'm not one to have issues with the textures of food, but damn, that fuzz sets my teeth on edge. I love the fruit underneath so I'll peel them-- which is tough to do when they're perfectly ripe.

Gimme a freakin nectarine.

I didn't realize peaches originated in China.

When they're perfectly ripe, just pull the skin off with your fingers.  Works better than a knife.

What do you think started this thread? I saw it last night.

Although that clip obviously showcases Jean Stapleton's performance, it's very striking to me how utterly brilliant Carroll O'Connor was in his role.

Does anyone else HATE peach fuzz? I'm not one to have issues with the textures of food, but damn, that fuzz sets my teeth on edge. I love the fruit underneath so I'll peel them-- which is tough to do when they're perfectly ripe.

To me, the fuzz is the source of much of a peach's charm.

Millions of peaches, peaches for me, millions of peaches, peaches for free- damn, now I have an earworm.

& just look at the lyrics-

Take a little nap where the roots all twist

Squished a rotten peach in my fist

And dreamed about you, woman,

I poked my finger down inside

Make a little room for an ant to hide

Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie

Rises above canned peaches.

Hate to say it, but that song was the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic, & probably the only thing I can relate to- fresh peaches are great, dried apricots are awesome, & so is that song. I don't think I've eaten a canned peach in years.

You should try Toigo Orchards peaches in Bourbon. I try to keep a jar on hand in the winter for emergency desserts. They come in a jar, not a can, but what's the difference? They resemble nothing like the stuff in cans from the supermarket--and, at about $12 a jar--they shouldn't.

• Like 1

There's an interesting backstory behind the writers of this episode, Alfred Lewis Levitt and Helen Slote Levitt (credited as Tom and Helen August). 

After following a few links I encountered after I followed this one, I found that the writing credit for this episode is really spread around. Norman Lear gets some, as "developer", and even Johnny Speight for having created "Till Death Do Us Part". The Levitts/Augusts are credited with writing the story, while the teleplay is credited to Michael Ross and Bernie West. I won't remember this tomorrow.