"Night of the Living Dead" (1968) - George A. Romero's Original Zombie Apocolypse Horror Film

DonRocks

This is one of the most influential movies of the past 50 years, giving rise to anything and everything "zombie" that you hear about now.  The concept of zombies existed before this, but was extremely obscure, and "Night of the Living Dead" brought it back to life, so to speak.

Even in Thomas Boswell's column about the 2015 World Series, it's referenced.

If you've never seen it, the full video is in the post above - just put it on full screen, and enjoy. Even today, it's not for the squeamish, although its primitive special effects (and B&W filming) make it relatively tame by today's standards, despite the necrophagia.

When I was in college a friend of mine and I had a date with two girls who were friends and dormmates at the University of Maryland.  We had a lot of hopes built up for this date since we had talked them into going to the Beltsville Drive In.  When we got there we noted that it was a horror movie double feature with "Blood Feast" and Night of the Living Dead.  I remember my friend having a couple of six packs of beer and we settled in somewhere near the back row of cars.

Barry was in the back seat with his date and from time to time he would "goose me" underneath my seat to let me know that the night had started with promise.

At some point there was a scene of zombies munching on somebody's intestines.  All four of us made the mistake of seeing this.  It was gross.  Not the kind of thing you immediately want to return to French kissing after seeing.

Somehow, over the next several hours, we sat totally engrossed (and grossed out) while watching Night of the Living Dead.  We both ended up having our dates hug us because it was, honestly, scary.  (Any moment someone could be eaten.)  Blood Feast was almost as bad:  Fuaud Ramses had his own preference for "munchies."

For all of the dates that I have ever had in my life that started with "promise" this was among the best.  Perhaps not for what I might have expected, though.  That night, many years ago, I learned how to hug.  And cover my eyes during certain scenes.

The original YouTube link to "Night of the Living Dead" I posted here is gone, but (somewhat surprisingly), Wikipedia has a link to the entire film, about halfway down on the right side, and it's in digital clarity, too.

If you know about zombies, but have never seen this seminal 1968 classic, I *highly* recommend you watch this for an important slice of pop-culture history.

(And then watch "The Birds" when you're done.)