The Mustered Burghers Meet and Catch Up

legant

In the spirit of $20 Tuesdays how about neighborhood gatherings? Some of us live near each other yet haven't met or broken bread together.

It seems that quite a few of us live north of Cleveland Park between Van Ness and Chevy Chase Circle. (I know four of us who live on Connecticut Avenue alone.) Other than Comet, the pickings are rather slim. But that shouldn't stop us from gathering. I'd like to propose a Neighborhood Gathering for those north of Cleveland Park (only!) at Uptown Cathay on December 11 or 13.

Although Uptown Cathay is across the street from Comet, it's no rival. However, Uptown Cathay does have really cheap drinks.

So, if you live in the neighborhood and want to gather with your neighbors, PM me or post here if you're interested and which date works best for you.

I encourage others to also post here and coordinate their own neighborhood gatherings.

Upper Northwest Gathering

Wednesday 12/27, 7p, Uptown Cathay

(5018 Connecticut Ave NW, Btwn Fessenden St NW & Everett St NW)

Anyone in Upper Northwest (including, but not limited to: Van Ness, Cleveland Park, Tenley Town, Chevy Chase) who wants to join is always welcome!

So far:

legant

hillvalley

JLK

synaesthesia

NCPinDC

DCinDC

I always knew you West of the Park people were snobs.

Me and U Street Guy and Barbara and Logan Circle are going to have a party and you're not invited! And it's gonna be real cool, too!

:P

I always knew you West of the Park people were snobs.

Me and U Street Guy and Barbara and Logan Circle are going to have a party and you're not invited! And it's gonna be real cool, too!

:D

The lower MoCo crew would be happy to have any of you at any of our outings, Waitman. We're welcoming like that.

I think we'd have to vote one-by-one on the West of Park people though. :P

The lower MoCo crew would be happy to have any of you at any of our outings, Waitman. We're welcoming like that.
Petworth? Sure. Takoma DC? Absolutely. But I don't know about that Mt. Pleasant/Adams Morgan riffraff. :P

Seriously, what are the geographic boundaries for this?

(If there needs to be some sort of discussion thread, feel free to move this.)

[You don't need to live in these areas; just simply be there. This TMB stuff will evolve over the next few days and weeks - we'll see where it goes, if anywhere. I'm not even sure we'll keep the name "Party Central" for this forum - I'll worry about that later when I have more time. Who knows, maybe we'll end up making these TMB threads into yet another forum or sub-forum. Feel free to discuss - this can be whatever you guys want it to be. Just keep in mind that we want to reach out to all members. Cheers, Rocks.]

[You don't need to live in these areas; just simply be there. This TMB stuff will evolve over the next few days and weeks - we'll see where it goes, if anywhere. I'm not even sure we'll keep the name "Party Central" for this forum - I'll worry about that later when I have more time. Who knows, maybe we'll end up making these TMB threads into yet another forum or sub-forum. Feel free to discuss - this can be whatever you guys want it to be. Just keep in mind that we want to reach out to all members. Cheers, Rocks.]

From what I understand, it's sort of to get to know people who live near you a little better. Make it easier to know some folks that you can call up to go out for dinner in the neighborhood rather than traversing across states lines. Though folks outside the area should be welcome to come if they're interested.

Sure. It's looking like the only difference between this and $20 Tuesdays is a vague geographic limitation.

[There is no difference; it's purely organizational and trying to make it easier for people to get together. Maybe the $20 Tuesday and On A Whim threads are good enough by themselves? It could become annoying to have 15 different threads regularly popping up that nobody is interested in reading.]

Sure. It's looking like the only difference between this and $20 Tuesdays is a vague geographic limitation.

A couple modest differences, perhaps:

1) it's still primarily neighborhood-driven so out-of-boundary kids lose influence in scheduling decisions

2) Relatively more emphasis on "getting to know you" and relatively less on "getting to know food." ie, Uptown Cathay is acceptable.

3) Smaller groups, less organizing

[There is no difference; it's purely organizational and trying to make it easier for people to get together. Maybe the $20 Tuesday and On A Whim threads are good enough by themselves? It could become annoying to have 15 different threads regularly popping up that nobody is interested in reading.]
The intent differs from "On A Whim" and $20 Tuesdays though.

Maybe we just think of events (neighborhood get-togethers, potlucks, etc.) and start threads on them individually? :P I like the people focus vs. food, although this is a food board. That said, I am not sure about the less-planning part will come to pass, considering everyone's various schedules. We already have the "On a whim" thread for that.