In-N-Out, a Local Fast-Food Hamburger Chain, Founded in 1948 in Baldwin Park with Dozens of Area Locations

This may be the most controversial, most infamous, certainly the most embarrassing of all the posts I had on CH in the five years I was a part of it. The post disappeared (as a number of my others) after my argument with Leff. Now, curiously, it is back under the new ownership. It was part of what I called my "In 'n Out Trilogy."

"Without Shame: A Bite of Excess" by Joe Heflin on chowhound.com

I'm convinced the best balance of meat, fromage, onions, spread, and fitting-into-mouth-ed-ness is to order a 3x3. Mmmmmmm.

Joe,

As someone who has never tried an In 'n Out Burger, even when I was offered the chance (the name frightened me because I interpreted it incorrectly), thank you for sharing your essay. I think I finally get it.

Beautifully written!

Joe,

As someone who has never tried an In 'n Out Burger, even when I was offered the chance (the name frightened me because I interpreted it incorrectly), thank you for sharing your essay. I think I finally get it.

Beautifully written!

Thank you, Scottie-much appreciated. This is the link for the second part of the "In 'n Out triology:"

"The 5,000 Mile Hamburger" by Joe Heflin on chowhound.com

In truth In 'n Out has the same food today that it did when it opened sixty years ago. Then, there was probably nothing remarkable about it; rather every place used fresh potatoes, fresh hamburger, etc. Over the years almost everywhere else stopped using fresh, cut corners, paid minimum wage and served homogonized food. In 'n Out simply never changed. That which was once considered good is now considered great and the best of its kind.

Here's open with most of the family having passed away that the new operators have the same values and continue to change nothing.

Of course if they ever started to franchise I and several thousand others would jump at the chance...

Just go to In 'n Out and get a double double Animal style, well done fries and a Neopolitan shake. I should add that in 19 hours (they open at 10:30AM) I will be eating exactly this in Riverside.

Actually, I may have well done animal style fries...

That's how I had'em in Kingman the last time thru. Well done is a must, particularly when they're busy. Animal style is optional, and a bit much perhaps with an AS burger at the same time, but what the hell...........

But you knew all that.

Also went to In-n-Out for a double-double AS and an order of fries. I really did not find this much different than 5 Guy's or Elevation, certainly nothing to really rave about IMO. Sure they cut their fries fresh, use no preservatives in the buns, and grind their beef fresh, but it tasted exactly like a Big Mac â„¢. The bread was pretty blah by itself and the burger was cooked to a pretty dry well done so thankfully there was enough sauce on it to help that aspect. The good thing? It was cheap! smile.gif

You've learned the truth about In n Out. It isn't exactly life altering food - its a slightly better than average fast food burger. Of course the proponents will tell you that you went to the wrong location or just didn't order right.

You've learned the truth about In n Out. It isn't exactly life altering food - its a slightly better than average fast food burger. Of course the proponents will tell you that you went to the wrong location or just didn't order right.

I am expecting that. rolleyes.gif

I really don't get the In-n-Out Burger sentiment ... I've eaten at a few of them from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, and this chain is over hyped and over rated. Their burgers suck, and that goop that makes their fries all the rage is disgusting. Can we all please get over In-n-Out...?

Haven't yet tried smashburger (really? there was a perceived burger chain opportunity still here to be seized?  really?).

The In-n-Out thing is all about genetics and upbringing. A multi-million NIH study wouldn't tell you any different.

In-n-Out is to west coasters what lutefisk is to Norwegians.  That simple.

The double-double is on the menu, so you would think ordering a triple-triple from the "secret menu" would make sense when you want a 3 X 3 (3 burger patties and 3 slices of cheese). Not so; instead, they will smile and gently correct you. It comes prettily displayed like all other burgers and is a BIG bite. Since I was eating mine with only half the bun and lots of extra lettuce and tomato, like a burger salad, this was an appreciated but unnecessary nicety. It's a really hearty meal - low-carb but definitely not healthy or low-fat. I don't really care for the fries here so that wasn't much of a loss but I was really wistful about not getting a shake (the chocolate flavoring is rather gentle so I usually get the vanilla). 

While the In-N-Out website features a few items from the not-so-secret menu, here are a couple fun articles I found with much more comprehensive discussion of "secret menu" items:

The Ultimate In-N-Out Secret Menu (and Super Secret Menu!) Survival Guide 

The Ultimate In-N-Out Burger Secret Menu (Some of Which Will Save You Money)

• Like 4

Heheheh this guy from the LA Times was clearly trying to light a conversation bomb with his recent fast-food french fry power rankings, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't indulge him or that he is wrong.  Naturally, I'm sticking the link in this thread because I happen to agree with his placement of Five Guys by the top and In-N-Out (note: their fries plain, not animal-style, as most folks who love them [my informal observation of Angelenos in the past 7! years, no other citation] actually order them) on the bottom, but I understand that personal preferences and YMMV.  Thus, discuss as you will 😁