Beginning in 2014 Compass Rose introduced the popular Georgian street food Khatchapuri to their menu.  It took off.  One year later they ran a contest for the person who ordered the 10,000th order of Khatchapuri.  Over that year the Washington Post didn't stint on praise and coverage as they described in an April 2015 article about the expectant 10,000th order.  Following the successful introduction of Khatchapuri to the DC region several other restaurants introduced the dish to the greater DC food audience.

I missed all of that!!!  All my life I've been the complete opposite of an "early adopter" on virtually any facet of life including food.  Currently I've discovered at least 3 restaurants in DC offering this (probably more) and fairly recently stumbled into  it at Ray's Hell Burger in the Tasty Dugout section of the restaurant.  I've now had two versions at the Tasty Dugout.  I've seen it referenced in this forum in the Compass Rose thread.  I'm going over to Compass Rose shortly.

So where else can it be found in the greater DMV and whose version is tastiest?  As a pizza lover I somewhat agree with the WaPost description of it as a Georgian version of pizza and am interested in finding more versions.  BTW:  Enjoyed both the mushroom and pepperoni versions of khatchapouri (Landrum's spelling) and am looking forward to more.  

Sadly there really isn't much Eastern European/Former Soviet food in the DMV. If this was in NY I could recommend dozens and show you a bunch of articles just about Khachapuri. As of now, however, there are no Georgian restaurants in the area that I know of but would love to know if there is one that somehow has escaped the internet. Also the Compass Rose one really doesn't look great from the photos. I personally have not tried it but just looking at it you can see the dough is way way to thin for Adjaruli Khachapuri (Khachapuri differs in every region of Georgia by the way which is great because then you get different varieties of the amazigness that is Khachapuri). I hope we can get a Georgian Restaurant in this area as good as the ones in Brighton Beach and Sheepshead Bay in NY. One day perhaps....  

• Like 1