On 4/28/2016 at 0:48 PM, DaveO said:

Don:  You asked for any other WWI references.  I have one, but its way more surreal.  I'd suggest that the story could be placed within any war, not specifically WWI. I wouldn't suggest it was as reality based as All Quiet on the Western Front. The film is Johnny Got his Gun, based on the book of the same title written by Dalton Trumbo  Never read the book. The movie was stark enough.

I first heard about "Johnny Got His Gun" when I was in college, when a friend told me it was about the most depressing movie he'd ever seen. I've heard it come up several times since then, all with pretty much the same synopsis: 'About as depressing as a film can be.'

This comment inspired me to finally watch it, and you can tell from the first ten minutes of the film, that it's not going to be something that makes you want to go out and party when it's over. The opening credits alone signify war in its strongest possible connotations; then, the first few minutes reveal that what you're about to see is as grim as it gets. And, unfortunately, it appears that it's going to be a very well-made film, too (poorly made films are easier to laugh at, dismiss, and forget). My advice ten minutes into the movie: Don't start watching this unless you're glad you endured "Shoah," and thought "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover" was a great film (which I did). This is not going to be an easy two hours.

The juxtaposition between Joe's thoughts and dreams (in color) and his harsh reality (in black-and-white) are incredibly effective, and the dream scenes are long enough where you become absorbed in them, and then - *Bang!* - back to reality. Even though I'm only a few minutes into this film, I have a general idea of what it's about, and I'm almost dreading it while at the same time feeling a sort of "need" to watch it.

It is noteworthy how much Donald Sutherland looks like the European perspective of Jesus Christ - there may be some sort of connection here (I've just been introduced to him for the first time, at the card game). So far, there is a pervasive feeling of "gentleness" to this movie - Joe's comments to himself, for example, are spoken in soft, gentle tones, and even when he gets angry (e.g., when he realizes they're removing staples from up around his shoulder area), he's still a gentle person.

This community is not for the discussion of religion, unless it's in proper context, and when discussing a film, it's fair game. Christianity here (I'm 33 minutes into the film) is being strongly portrayed both as an asset and a liability - who would deny these poor people hope of ultimate salvation, which is the only possible reason for them to keep going? And yet, the tale of tying up the group of Native American hunters with rocks around their feet and drowning them in the lake was undoubtedly done "in the name of Christian principles." Sutherland was indeed portrayed as a Christ figure, and I can see that motif developing as the film progresses - I have a pretty good feeling that Christianity won't be looking terribly good as the film ends, but let's wait and see - there's a very "small," humanistic aspect to this movie that I think is going to trump any sort of grandiose, anti-religious message, which would just be too lazy and unoriginal to force us to choke down. All this said, there is a reversal-of-roles between what Joe's mother was feeding him ("God is the only reality; everything else is just a dream") and his eventual state, which is the exact opposite of what he was taught - regardless of how this plays out, there's little doubt that Christianity is a leitmotif in this movie.

My impression, 33 minutes in, is that I absolutely love this movie. Also, that I'm glad I didn't see it when I first heard about it thirty years ago because I didn't have the wisdom to process it. (Note: I just sneak-peaked to see if Roger Ebert gave this movie his highest possible rating, which I figured he did ... and he did. I didn't read what he wrote (yet); just looked at the rating.)

At one moment, Joe is panicking because he's in-between a dream- and a reality-state and says, 'Oh, Jesus Christ, how can I even tell there's a difference?" And then the camera immediately cuts to Donald Sutherland.

I watched the final hour of this movie without wanting to come over here and type anything. It is anti-war propaganda, sure, but it is so masterfully done that it is an art form of the highest order. Even though it's a simple premise, this is a multi-layered, complex, film that requires the viewer to come to terms with some very difficult questions. It is at once, the most basic of human dramas, but also a political indictment every bit as powerful as "Dr. Strangelove." I was wrong about one thing, however - it's not *as* depressing as I thought, as it is, in some perverse way, a celebration of human life, and I left the movie feeling that one day, soon, Johnny would not only get his gun, but Joe would also get his wish. It also bears mentioning that there's virtually no gore or violence.

This is not a partisan film in any way (anti-war, yes), and it is a must see. In a strange way, Joe reminded me of Hal at the end of "2001," the difference being that Hal was completely helpless against being turned off; Joe was completely helpless against remaining on.

"Johnny Got His Gun" is available to watch for free on Veoh, and the quality is very good, although the time it takes to rewind scenes is unacceptable.

• Like 1

Earlier and elsewhere you had referenced this story in the NYTimes about Hunter Garth a veteran from Afghanistan who doesn't want to be thanked or feels uncomfortable about thanks for his service.  Also you just wrote about the 1930 film All Quiet on the Western Front, from the earlier novel of the same name by Erich Maria Remarque, a classic  Both situations separated by almost 100 years reference the same reactions by soldiers.  Clearly a timeless theme.  They reminded me of Johnny Got his Gun.

I have not revisited the film in 40 years.  It left a searing impact.  It was very well made, though I recall virtually no details, but the impact...my goodness.  I'm glad you "liked" or appreciated the film.  Is "like" an appropriate word?   My sense of the film suggests not.  

Outside of the politics of it all films of this nature and that of All Quiet on the Western Front makes you think more deeply.  I'll settle for that and gratefully accept the message from talented authors and film makers without having to go where Mr Garth went.  

For a deep experience I'd suggest viewing this film.  

This film is well made and extremely moving. It is incredibly sad and life affiirming at the same time. Thank you for the recommendation. I am glad I saw it. The spirit of gentle Joe will live on in my mind. This is a film I won't forget.

I assume this tune is where the title of the book and film originate.