Hiddencroft Vinyards (2008-), Husband and Wife Clyde and Terry Housel in Lovettsville, VA - Tasting Room and Patio, Picnics Welcome

I didn't see a thread on this winery so I thought I would add one.  We visited this winery yesterday, and were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the wines.  

Hiddencroft was founded in 2008 by Clyde and Terry Housel.  Terry is the winemaker and we enjoyed speaking with him about the process as we had our tasting.  Like many of the smaller wineries in VA, Hiddencroft has a small tasting room and we were asked to wait just a few minutes when we arrived because their tasting room was full.  They have a lovely deck and patio that provides a beautiful spot to picnic and enjoy bottles of their award winning wines.  You are able to bring your own picnic, or you can purchase some grab-n-go picnic items from the tasting room.  

The wines were among the best we tasted yesterday (having made three other stops).  I particularly like the Chambourcin Rose.  Along with the rose, they were serving two other whites, three reds and two fruit wines during the tasting.  They offered a plate of selected nibbles to accompany some of the wines, which was really a lovely little extra.  I generally dislike fruit wines, but the pomegranate based wine was pretty good.  Clyde explained that since pomegranates are really seeds, they contain tannins just like grapes.  The wine avoids that cloying sweetness that is so common with fruit based wines.  

The warmth of the reception in the tasting room, combined with the quality of the wine, made for a really enjoyable visit and we all agreed we will return to the winery again.